Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Gas smell in oil

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2002, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gas smell in oil

When I was checking my oil the other day i was smelling it to see how burnt it was smelling and I was able to smell gas in my oil. When i wiped the stick i did so with my finger and thumb so i could check its slickness...and it was waterey, it did feel slick at all instead it felt like gasoline inbetween my fingers ..like it was diluted with a petrouluem product...

has anybody had this problem...and if no , do you know what might cause this problem

Im thinking maybe a bad piston ring that is letting gas slip by and leak into the crank case.

Im calling the dealer today,but i was wondering if anyone has encountered this yet?

I have no mods on my engine except for the hill billy intake..but that shouldnt cause it
Old Oct 23, 2002, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

All engines have varying amounts of combustion blow by which does make its way past the rings and into the crankcase. Depending on how efficient your motor is, more or less unburned fuel vapor is in the blow by gasses. This stuff eventually makes it way into the motor oil and that's why you're smelling gas.

What exactly does the hillbilly intake consist of?

If your hacked up intake mod somehow screws up the ECU's ability to operate in closed loop conditions, you may have an overly rich mixture. A rich mixture will start to form carbon inside the combustion chamber, which can accumulate on the piston ring(s) and make them stick.

As soon as that happens you get even more blow by gasses into the oil - which quickly depletes the oil's ability to control wear inside your engine.

If you can't figure out what the hell is going on, you may want to "unhillbilly" it pronto.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

A hillbilly intake is removing the air box as usual with other install's and then installing a dress up air filter that goes on a chevy nova...did have to unplug anything that i can remember.

could it be that the conical air filters are made better and this old type air filter is letting some moisture blow by..it has been raining alot lately and god only know how much the gasoline is watered down nowadays.

Heck maybe it could be the grade of gas...using 90...been using since i got the car
Old Oct 25, 2002, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

well...don't be cheap...get a real intake...a real filter....and make sure your MAS is hooked up
Old Oct 25, 2002, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

So you think gasoline octane or gasoline in general is at fault here?
Survey says....

If the car ran fine before your intake experiment, then gasoline isn't the problem.

Moisture gets past all air filters ... it's called humidity. If you're concerned about physical water droplets being ingested through or past your hillbilly intake, you've got bigger worries down the road - get rid of that intake. Put an air intake for a Chevy Nova where it belongs...on a Chevy Nova.

As Z posted, check the MAS connection! If the MAS isn't plugged in, your car is in limp mode, setting an overly rich A/F mixture. Either that or the MAS is now somehow damaged when you performed your mod.

Has the check engine MIL been on at all since changing the stock intake?
Old Oct 25, 2002, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

nope...no mil light....ill check the mas at lunch time...took the hillbilly intake off this morning. Car still did it so the mas might be unplugged,but like that can you still rev the engine and speed down the highway?
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Yes you can speed down the highway if the MAS is unplugged or if it's toast. The failsafe mixture is very rich at idle, so as you go faster with more throttle opening, the mixture actually leans out a bit. It should stink or smell at idle though.

If the car doesn't smell horrid at idle and the MAS is plugged in, then it sounds like the MAS is fine.

Time for some other questions....

1) How many miles on it when you got (or won) the car
2) How many miles on it now
3) Has oil & filter been changed at all between 1 + 2
4) Do you do a lot of short trips without full warmup
5) Has your gas mileage drastically changed if you keep track of it
Old Oct 31, 2002, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

1) How many miles on it when you got (or won) the car
A) 110 miles

2) How many miles on it now
A) 12,563

3) Has oil & filter been changed at all between 1 + 2
A) Whenever service book requires it

4) Do you do a lot of short trips without full warmup
A) No I let it run for about 2 mins before i go

5) Has your gas mileage drastically changed if you keep track of it
A) Mileage was 300 gallons per tank now it is around 250 per tank
Old Oct 31, 2002, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

OZ thanks for info.

However, after you perform the 2 minute warm up - how long are the trips that you typically take? Does the car get out on the freeway for an hour or longer at least once per week? There's a severe and normal maintenance schedule to choose from. Did you follow the normal schedule? If so, then your oil was changed at 7,500 miles and your next is due at 15,000.

IMHO, this is overly generous considering that the valvetrain is very finicky for ticking lifters from dirty oil, and the shearing action of the OHC design on the oil in general.

Take your average dino based oil and run the engine hard (as most on this forum probably do) and I'd say 7,500 mi oil changes are a recipe for long term issues. I personally wouldn't want to stretch past 3,000 with most of the dino oils on the market, especially since conventional oil is dirt cheap compared to synthetics.

If you do mostly short trips under 10 miles, the oil does not have a chance to get up to operating temperature long enough to evaporate off water and gasoline vapor which the oil absorbs from combustion. The more of this junk the oil loads up with, the more quickly the viscosity breaks down and the more it smells like gasoline.

I'm going send you a PM in a bit with some more info questions as I don't want to post anything longer that what I just typed. If a solution is found, we can post it back for other members of the forum to read.