Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Ideas For a Cheap Dedicated Track Car?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ideas For a Cheap Dedicated Track Car?

Headed up to New Hampshire International Speedway this morning to watch the COMSCC event.

I've never witnessed a track day in person, and I must say I was immediately hooked. Even though the weather was horrible with lots of rain it was still an amazing time. Got to see plenty of cars being tossed around the track. A couple of cars spinned out but luckily no major damage was done.

After watching the event I've come to realize that I want to participate in track days and road-racing myself. I know that my Evo is a great track car, but I don't feel that I'm financially stable enough to take a loss if a mishap should happen on the track.

That's why I made this post. What would be a good idea for a cheap (<$5k) dedicated track car?

I had the EK9 Civic hatch in mind. I've always liked its shape, and from what I hear with a few mods the Civic is excellent in the turns. There's also the Miata, which seems to be the weapon of choice for many road-racing junkies.

Hmm, I don't know. I'm just looking for a cheap, reliable track car. I'll strip out the interior and add a rollcage. The Evo is too much for me to start out with anyways. With a cheaper car if I crash it wouldn't be the end of the world. Well, let me know what cars you guys recommend. Hopefully I'll be on the tracks and taking on the curves myself next year!
Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Mazda Miata
Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plenty of cheap miatas with hardtops floating around. Save some time and money by finding one already race prepped for the various Mazda Spec series Ie: NASA , SCCA.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Another question.

Since the Miata is RWD, is it a more difficult platform to drive fast with? Just curious because it seems like a lot of the RWD cars were really slipping around on the track.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

1st gen neon ACRs are pretty killer, and can be had for nearly nothing. plus getting them track ready is cake and not much cost wise
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:48 PM

what about bikes? they are cheap.. lol
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

If I could fit in a Miata, that's what I'd go with. I'm just over 6 feet tall and my knees hit the steering wheel.

Also consider a 1989-1992 Nissan 240sx.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

I hear ya. Thought of the same thing. Miata is the best choice as its cheap. Unlike the 240 it doesn't need much mods over stock spec to be fun. They are well built, strong and if something does happen replacement parts are cheap.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe I should try sitting in a Miata first before deciding.

I'm 6'1 so I had a hard time fitting into my buddy's S2000. Hopefully the Miata has more room because I was rather uncomfortable in the S2000 as the steering wheel couldn't be moved.

Will try to test drive one tomorrow and report back.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

you aint gonna fit. im 5'9" and i dont fit! and thats in teh new one. the first gen are even smaller.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Strange, Im 5'9",200 lbs and fit just fine. My friend is 6'2" ,225 lbs and fits comfortable enough to drive my track prepped Miata for over 35 minutes straight. Now that's quite impressive considering he owns an 05 Lotus Elise, and an 05 Boxster "S" that he bought just for track driving. He concluded that my 95 Miata can easily handle as well as his Elise and that he felt much safer in the Miata, although the elise is much faster.
You wont find a better, more reliable, safer and easily moddified vehicle for autocross. I personally don't like a FWD vehicle for racing. AWD or RWD is the best in my opinion.
Too bad your all the way up in Boston or you could look at my miata that's for sale. If you're serious about a track car, mine would be worth a look. I've done everything except put a turbo in. That's why I bought an Evo.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Impressive. I might be 6'1" and I could not get my right knee on the other side of the steering wheel when I tried sitting in a 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 08:10 PM

If I were you, I'd look into a Miata first to see if it might suit you. You don't have anything to lose just by looking around.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 08:22 PM

if you're doing scca solo 2 type stuff where you never get above 50 mph, miata is DEFINATELY the way to go.
If you're going to be going faster, I'd look for a fox platform 5.0 mustang. (mid 80s to early 90s) They have a relatively short wheelbase and a good v8 engine. also consider rx7 if youre not afraid of the rotary engine, 300zx and supra.
my 2 cents.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Also look into a 325is for NASA's SpecE30. VERY affordable class to get started in.

Devin

Quick Reply: Ideas For a Cheap Dedicated Track Car?