Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be keeping my 9 for a very long time.

No, I won't be trading in for a X.
I will be looking for a decent 05 M3 in the next couple years though.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I'm waiting to see where the pricing comes in at. My VIII is paid for and I'm not a big mod guy. My current EVO is essentially still stock and it's my daily driver, so the X is definitely attractive to me since I likely won't do many mods. If the pricing isn't a lot more than the current evo, I will likely sell mine and put that money down on a X.

However, I am also hesitant to buy a first model year vehicle. I definitely won't be getting on a waiting list for one. I'll watch closely and see how many bugs start showing up before I dive in.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:19 AM

Not a chance...EVO X is fugly IMO.

Last edited by dpetro64; Jan 9, 2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

cannot imagine an evo without the 4g63 engine in it... dont think i will buy the X, but i will consider getting the GTR and keep the VIII in my garage....
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Gsixty3
cannot imagine an evo without the 4g63 engine in it... dont think i will buy the X, but i will consider getting the GTR and keep the VIII in my garage....

I'm in the same boat, a GTR or the newest Viper cope thats supposed to come out....
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are a lot of things I like about the EVO X:
1. The fenders and wheel wells don't have a hugh ugly gap like the current generation evos.
2. I like the design, it looks menacing yet sleek, somehow the car looks less boxy.
3. Lighter engine (unknown potential), which helps the horrible 60/40 weight distribution.
4. S-AWC with S-AYC ... an handling boon.
5. 6 speed paddle shifters, quicker shifts while racing and no need to heel and toe. Imagine the time saved
6. Clutchless tranny (unknown potential). No need to replace clutches ever again!

Out of the box I have not doubt this car will be faster than previous generation EVOs.
But I would rather pay off my EVO8 than get further into debt and would rather be looking for an alternative fuel vehicle. So No ...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

No thanks, looks ugly IMO. I'm sure itll take some time for the aftermarket to fit aftermarket items onto it as well. IX is here to stay .
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

I am keepin my 8 for ever, or until it decides to leave me for beating the crap out of it nightly. I have to much blood sweat and tears poored into my baby, not to mention a considerable amount of money. I plan to just replace stuff as needed, block, head, passenger etc.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Not trading any time soon. Only would consider a better AWD car now, after the evo; maybe a RS4 or RS6 I would trade my IX in for but nothing less.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Not planning.

As much as mitsu will try, the X is a cross roads, the IX is the end of the true rally inspired generation of the evo's.

The second you can't buy an IX in a dealership new, everyone owning an IX will own a piece of history, a collectors car. The speed that Evo's seem to get totally, stolen and chopped or just blown to pieces shows the speed that these cars will become rare and the price will stabilize and then increase.

Just look at rare VII's (I know it's not the same).

In 5-10 years time the IX will be a serious collector car. IMHO.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Only as a second Evo after sometime in the third year of production. Around 2010.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:53 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Having kept-up with the X info, I can honestly say there's nothing I like about it. I find its styling to be generally unappealing, as well as its interior, and the new powertrain does little to inspire a great deal of interest. I loathe the concept behind an automatic gearbox and the aluminum block would always remind me of a Vega. I could also give a flying f#ck about cruise control, navigation and the hideous steering wheel buttons. Basically, had the X been available instead of the IX, I would have never purchased it. It seems like Mitsubishi wants to turn the Evo into a GT and that's not what I want.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

the X's nose is too small, and it's rear too big.

Like a tall man with small feet and big buttocks.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryJonnie
The second you can't buy an IX in a dealership new, everyone owning an IX will own a piece of history, a collectors car. The speed that Evo's seem to get totally, stolen and chopped or just blown to pieces shows the speed that these cars will become rare and the price will stabilize and then increase.

Just look at rare VII's (I know it's not the same).

In 5-10 years time the IX will be a serious collector car. IMHO.
I'm thinking (and hoping) that it will be the same with the VIII's. If you have watched Barrett Jackson Auctions you know just how valuable a car that is special in its day can turn out to be in 20 plus years. I'm thinking $1 million+.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

It's unattractive, for one.

There's a reason why I bought a IX at the end of December instead of waiting for a 10. I really think the IX is the end of a great era and while I hope the upcoming years are good for Mitsu, I think the IX will end up being fairly sought after once they dissapear.

That and I love the looks of the IX

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX