Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Bought a new car C6 Z06!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought a new car C6 Z06!!

Well, after being a 4g63 nut for many years, and enjoying the EVO for 3yrs it was time for a change. I still believe for the hard $$ earned the EVO is one of, if not the best, performance bargain out there.

Trust me when I say the C6 Z06 is in a different league. I was tossing around the idea of 996TT for the same price as the Z06, but I know I would be stressed out at every little creak, rattle, and noise living in fear of breakage and the cost associated with it. So, my pocketbook made the choice for me and I'm very very happy.

For anyone wanting to know the differences they are huge, so here is my 100 mile review so far.

LOOKS
The Z06 owns in this department. The car gets quite a few stares and my 4 kids all agree this car looks cooler than the other one. Since they are the definitive judge in all things what else is their to say. The car is very low, very wide, and very intimidating.

Ingress/Egress/Driving position
The EVO is much easier to get in and out of being higher. The driving position is easier to get use to since the hood is shorter and sit closer to the front of the car. The stock Recaros have much better side bolstering and hold you in position better....even if they were a little small for me. The Z06 seats are soft and comfortable by comparison. With power memory it only takes a couple of buttons to get in a very nice driving position.

Amenities/Interior
No brainer here Z06 being twice the price with power everything, compass, heads up display (which is freaking awesome), Nav, heated seats, push button start, traction control, active handling, complete message display oil, temp, tire pressure, oil life, g-meter, etc clearly the Z06 in the lead here. As for as cheap domestic interior it's far nicer than the EVO not Porsche quality, obviously, but it's a huge upgrade over the C5.

Handling
Like many would guess the EVO is much easier to drive or feel comfortable driving from a handling standpoint. It's steering is so quick and lightning fast it's really point and shoot very go kart feel with body roll. I would say on anything tight the EVO feels much better say 60mph<, but after that it's all Z06. Remember none of this is timed it's just feel, speedometer, and butt g-meter. The EVO also feels lighter and much more nimble compared the wider, lower, Z06 even with weight being about equal. Like I said high speed stability where the EVO got skittish the Z06 feels rock solid very much a confidence inspiring experience 130mph is nothing in this car tracks straight and true you feel like you could let go of the wheel.

Road Noise
I don't care turn up the stereo on either one or listen to the symphonic engine sounds or turbo sounds. The Z06 stereo w/steering wheel controls is far nicer though. I miss turbo whistle, but that american rumble is nice......a cam would be just about perfect.

Acceleration
Z06 = Fast the powerband is stupid!! You can put the car in 4th and start from a stop. There is real acceleration at ridiculously low rpms and once the tack hits 4.5K it screams very intoxicating very fast for a stock car. Unlike many others experiences or just internet lore from a slow roll say 10mph I get a whimper of wheel spin the car just shoots 20-100mph like nothing. Gear ratios are awesome 1st gear is 50mph+ 2nd 90+ it's fun. I said I would keep it stock, but boy bolt ons and a cam would be sweet. Best engine stock engine I've ever driven!!

Intangibles
I'm starting to really get it. I remember when I had the ricer mentality 15yrs ago "If I put 5k in my DSM I'll smoke your C4 w/hot cam" The big mod game gets old and the total package in this $$ amount is that much more enjoyable. I highly recommend the Z06 to any car enthusiast for the price 61k shipped 8 miles on it!! I've always wanted a car that was the total package looks, handling, supercar abilities, solid aftermarket, legacy, and this car is all of those things. I tired of the EVO boy racer look being 30yrs+ old, the automatic stereotype, never being satisfied with the performance, not completely sold on the looks or the interior, in the end I out grew the car. I'll always stick up for the EVO and the cars abilities/talents as a true street/track terror there are many examples of this on the forum......but like I said in the end the Z06 is that good and I'm extremely happy with the purchase it feels and performs like a supercar.......now if I can just keep that mod bug away!!

Last edited by Jasil; Mar 26, 2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice choice, now supercharge the hoe!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:14 PM

Twin hta 35rs sounds better to me lol
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

<---- jealous
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Sweet car man.. good luck with it..

Mike
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:19 PM
Account Disabled

sick car always loved these
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Some killer deals out there, right now.. Especially on Vettes + Vipers.
Yeah its defitnetly apples and oranges when comparing it to the EVO. Especially on the power dept. Congrats, and let the mods begin..

WM
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Beautiful car and a great write up. Don't forcefeed that Z06 engine! There's a reason GM decided to go with the stock corvette engine for supercharging on the ZR1.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Great write up! The c6 z06 would be my 2nd car if anything. I hope one day i will have both

Also, was there any reason why you didnt go for a 08/09 viper instead?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Send it off to lingenfelter
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Great review and one bad effin ride. Black FTMFW...
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Badass car..... Good choice....
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:29 PM
Account Disabled

When I drove a regular C6 I felt the same way about the below 60mph and above 60mph abilities of both cars. In the end though I almost *need* to have an evo even though I'd rather have a Z06 for the same price. I need 4 doors. I need to be able to carry stuff. I need AWD for the winter. I need the ground clearance (for dirt roads). If I were to have a corvette like I'd want I would need a real daily driver.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
When I drove a regular C6 I felt the same way about the below 60mph and above 60mph abilities of both cars. In the end though I almost *need* to have an evo even though I'd rather have a Z06 for the same price. I need 4 doors. I need to be able to carry stuff. I need AWD for the winter. I need the ground clearance (for dirt roads). If I were to have a corvette like I'd want I would need a real daily driver.
Yeah you gotta have both. Having just a vette, or even a Viper is just, not practical..

WM
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

The C6 Z06 is one of the best sports cars in the world - congrats! While I think the 996TT is a pretty amazing car, they can get expensive ...

With regards to modding your Z06 -- don't do it -- stock is amazing! Heck you don't even need to take it out of 2nd gear or you can putz around in 6th and get 30 mpg...Enjoy

Quick Reply: Bought a new car C6 Z06!!