Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R (Import Question)

Old Aug 23, 2009, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R (Import Question)

If I were to import a R34 GT-R Skyline from out of the states (Japan/Europe), would it just be illegal for me to drive it on the roads without removing all the stuff needed for emissions and all that? Or would it be illegal for me to just own it without it having all that needs to be done for it to be legal? I hope you understand my question, and if you can help at all, that would be wonderful. (:
Old Aug 23, 2009, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

It is not illegal to own it but you may have a hard time getting it registered for public road use. There was one company that did the importing for R32 to R34 Skyline GT-R before but something happened and they closed down. Unless you intend to buy it as track use only and transport using towing bed, with all the hassle and money you may be better off buying the 2008+ GT-R. There are quite a few people who got theirs as grey market import, and there was at least one owner on this forum. You may want to ask him for details or ask around on GT-R forums.

You can't just add or remove safety and emission equipments yourself and expect them to accept your registration, I think you or your dealer needs to crash test 5 cars and have emission checked officially first.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 04:14 AM

What is it even that needs to be done for one to be street legal? I searched pretty hard and couldn't find anything about that.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't know, buy 7 of them, do a crash test on 6, and hope you will pass everything so you can drive the 7th .
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or if you can find a company that has crash test data for that vehicle, you can buy it but it ranges prices from 15000 to 30000 depending on the car and the amount of data avalible.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:26 AM

I don't understand why it's so hard to have it imported here, it's such bull.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Contact J K technologies in Baltimore, MD. I know of three people including my brother who have brought skylines over this way. It's expensive though so I hope you have the cheech.

Phone: 410-366-6332
Fax: 410-366-7655
Email: convert2us@aol.com

Good Luck.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
Contact J K technologies in Baltimore, MD. I know of three people including my brother who have brought skylines over this way. It's expensive though so I hope you have the cheech.

Phone: 410-366-6332
Fax: 410-366-7655
Email: convert2us@aol.com

Good Luck.
Thank you VERY much, useful information. (:
Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:09 AM

Speaking from experience (I own a r34 GTR) bringing in a GTR now a days can be almost impossible. It is easier to find one already in the states rather then trying to bring one over. You can buy mine if you like.

http://www.modified.com/features/mod...gtr/index.html

Jason
Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:12 AM

I would buy one that's in the states already, but: A) they're very hard to come by and: B) I currently don't have the money.

The thing is that I want a low mileage/stock or near-stock model, V-Spec or V-Spec II is even better, and I don't want LHD. Sounds picky I know but if I'm gonna spend a lot of money on a car... kind of have to be picky.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason@PSI
Speaking from experience (I own a r34 GTR) bringing in a GTR now a days can be almost impossible. It is easier to find one already in the states rather then trying to bring one over. You can buy mine if you like.

http://www.modified.com/features/mod...gtr/index.html

Jason
no, dont do it man! haha
-steve-
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:54 AM

i believe motorex was the company that did importing and then something bad went down with that company, and i think only the r33 was a legal import model, but you can always import it here and drive, just not on public roads (or don't get caught)
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:03 AM

It varys from state to state but with some european super cars they don't pass our emissions and you can still import them and register them you just can't drive them over a certain mileage per year. I would look into something like that. Your going to have to talk to your local dmv/dot to get more details.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsmwin
i believe motorex was the company that did importing and then something bad went down with that company, and i think only the r33 was a legal import model, but you can always import it here and drive, just not on public roads (or don't get caught)
^ This.

Motorex ran everything through proper channels, crash testing etc. in order to import the R33 for sale as a street legal car.

R32's and R34's can be brought over and sold for "street legal" purposes, but it is difficult. The best route to go is the "kit car" route, sans motor. Then just look at dropping in a different engine. I hear the 2JZ is a good inline 6, every bit as capable, or better than an RB26.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:18 AM

I looked into this when I was in Yokosuka. The only way and this is a long shot, is if you ship it, pay the customs tariffs and only use it for track/show purposes. You cant drive it to the track/show, it must be trailered. I own a Gen1 Miata (Eunos Roadster to your JDM types) that I tried like hell to get over here. Hell, the Government was even going to ship it free of charge to the closes point of entry. But the NTSHA was the problem. Even though I submitted the evidence that at least 5 RHD Miata's were crash tested, I had the proper emissions (the RHD/LHD Miata's are built the same spec for Japan/Euro/USA, only diff is the LHD/RHD) they still say Hells No. And good luck finding a R34 GT-R that a company over there in Japan isnt going to rape you for in price, Now, R33's are the only ones that are NTHSA cerified to be imported, but even they carry a hefty price. You might want to look at a ER33 GTS-T or ER32 GTS-T 25. I apologize if i got the Model codes wrong, but you could get one of those and add pieces to it and you got a "GT-R for half the price. The other money you could spend on importation fees.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R (Import Question)