Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2k+ Celica owners on crack?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2002, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k+ Celica owners on crack?

I've been told from some Celica drivers that I should get a Celica and not an EVO because:

1. It's not as reliable as the new Celica (I know this can't be true, the Celica has had lots of mechanical problems).

2. It will beat the Celica off the line, but once you're rolling it gets slow, and the Celica and many other cars will beat it. They said it's only good for off-the-line acceleration, it's slow on the freeway????

3. The new Celica handles better than the EVO. Sport Compact Car reports it has a better Slalom time than the EVO. Huh????

4. Bad on gas, too expensive, and ugly.

Anyone agree with the above? Please verify #2

Mike

Check.Engine.Light-ica lol
Old Jun 27, 2002, 08:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Those people are clearly on acid.*

*Don't do drugs.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Re: 2k+ Celica owners on crack?

Originally posted by ChicagoMike
[B]I've been told from some Celica drivers that I should get a Celica and not an EVO because:

1. It's not as reliable as the new Celica (I know this can't be true, the Celica has had lots of mechanical problems).
Can't comment on this, I have no experience with both cars (US-spec). We don't even have the EVO yet. So, this can be the answer, how can you judge a car's reliability without actually having the car in US?

2. It will beat the Celica off the line, but once you're rolling it gets slow, and the Celica and many other cars will beat it. They said it's only good for off-the-line acceleration, it's slow on the freeway????
What do they mean? yeah, the Celica has a 6-spd gearbox and it's lighter. However, the EVO's powerband is friggin wide that "many other cars" can only dream about. UNLESS they're doing like over 120MPH on freeway....the EVO basically pull on every single gear except the 5th. (I drove an EVO V before)

3. The new Celica handles better than the EVO. Sport Compact Car reports it has a better Slalom time than the EVO. Huh????
Tell them to Check the SCC featuring EVO VII vs WRX. I remember reading they said "The EVO's slalom time is second only to the M2 mod'd WRX only...one of the fastest for stock car" or something like that.

Well, true on the first one. Can't argue with that...worthiness and looks are completely subjective. If they think the car is expensive and ugly and stick with their other cars and get ready to see the EVO's "ugly" tail-lights
Old Jun 27, 2002, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Lan Evo is right and yes celica drivers are on crack
Old Jun 27, 2002, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Celica!

Yeah but at least we know how much HP a Celica has... And we know for sure it doesn't have AYC or a ACD or a FMIC....

/<
Old Jun 27, 2002, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
these are both good car in there own ways. the Celica is the first sport car with the new headlight look from toyota. and have been making for a long time running with the new 2ZZGE GTS But i think the 3SGTE is better for the Celica(Turbo Engine). If toyota makes the GT-4 for the Celica, there will be a good fight between Celica and the Lan-Evo
Old Jun 27, 2002, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

not the same category, but nobodies been mentioning the 1.8t 4motion Jetta or the vr6/v8 4 motions as being competitors, what do you guys think?

Not just crack, but a lot of crack.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

EVO: 13.4 @ 103mph vs. Celica's 15.4 @ 89.3.

That Celica was SCC's own project car. Granted it had limited intake and exhaust mods, it had new coil overs, dampers, and a new anti-roll bar in the back. It did the 700ft slalom at 75.6mph and the 1/4 at 14.8 @ 95.5 as opposed to the EVO which, stock, did a 72.6mph.

To every man his own. I really like the way the EVO 7 looks, its really understated.

Last edited by Score; Jul 1, 2002 at 12:38 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

Those Celica guys don't know what their talking about. Bad gas??? Yes, smelling exhaust gas is bad

Mike L.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:54 AM

not the same category, but nobodies been mentioning the 1.8t 4motion Jetta or the vr6/v8 4 motions as being competitors, what do you guys think?
There is no 1.8T 4motion jetta/golf. There is however R32 golf (4wd) (europe only ) or v6 4motion (again europe only). There is no W8 golf/jetta, however there might be someday. R32 is a great car, but probably won't be offered in the US anyway.

Last edited by WRCRally; Jun 28, 2002 at 02:57 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

I've been in the w8 4 motion Jetta/Passat, I know there is one. I am 100% sure you can get the 6 cylinder 4 motion here, and the 1.8t 4 motion I'm less sure, anybody else know?
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:24 AM

W8

There is acutally a W8 in the U.S. W=v in german. the w8 can scream for a lil car with that many cylinders. I've seen them on the road here in town. I would never own one myself. And tell those people take their Celica's go take their match box cars to the sand box before they get hurt when playing with real WRC cars.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

#2 sucks! ive seen an evo in a drag one time..it was actually slow off the line..maybe a 1 or 2 second reaction time..and it was losing badly..but then something kicked in and it sped off and beat the other cars butt. i think that evos are fast off the line and in the long run..just depending on the driver
Old Jun 28, 2002, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, hate to get technical but... the W8 4Motion Passat (it is only for the Passat, BTW), is not named W8 because W=V in German. The W is due to the fact that the Passat uses a 3 OHC, 8 cylinder set up: like so

C____C_____C
cc__cc_cc__cc
o\ooo/o\ooo/
oo\o/ooo\o/

C= Camshaft(s)
c= Cylinders
o=Ignore these [had to fill up space]

Imagine two four cylinders with DOHC sharing a OHC. Best analogy I can offer. It's a pretty neat set up, and VW will be using this similar engine set up in their new LeMans Supercar in Europe by next year.

I have been wanting to ask this question myself due to the fact that the claimed HP on the W8 Passat is 270 hp, and it is that unique AWD set up. I think that could be a hell of a fight between that and the Lan Evo (if the US Spec doesn't have the AYC, ACD... etc.).

As for the Celica... really is like comparing the 330ci to a Ferrari. Granted, the Celica is a good car, but, by all accounts, the Evo is a god of a car.

Last edited by StreetLancer; Jun 28, 2002 at 05:06 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
StreetLancer,

Don't forget the W8 Passat is heavy as hell. CD got a 0-60 time of 6.9 secs. VW claims 6.5 sec 0-60 mph. So a bad running WRX will destroy it for speed.

With all the weight on the nose I would not expect it to out handle any of the rally specials either.

Erik

Last edited by erikgj; Jun 29, 2002 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 2k+ Celica owners on crack?