Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

from Evos to new STI (12 ' sedan)

Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
from Evos to new STI (12 ' sedan)

Ironic user name isn't it...? Recently I was looking for an AWD car again, I was getting sick and tired of people asking over rated prices on used STIs so I went and got a new 2012 STI. I also looked for Evos again( it would had been my 4th Evo) but not evereyone maintains their car the way I wanted, people have this habit of buying a $2 spray can and paint the wheels or paint the dashes... Hidious thing!!.

Interior. The 2012 STI sedan is a sweat car but be prepare to tell your friends that the interior quality is CRAP. The dash is made of cheap, hard and hollow plastic, the door panels bend in 2" if you push it with your fingers. The front bumper is so thin that I can make it bend 5-6 inches on the sides, it is truly a crappy finiished car compared to previous models.

So many years the Subaru owners talking $hit about Mitsubishi Lancer Evo interior quality and now it seems like Subaru is a POS as far is the dash...I purchased a brand new WRX back in Sep 2002 in case you think I am new to Subarus..

Gas Mileage. Gas mileage is great also, it is way better than advertized, I have seen over 30mpg cruisng on the HWY at 65mph. I am averaging mid 20 on my way to work.

Performance. My first mods on my STI were Cobb AP and Cobb air filter(this is Cobb Stage I), these mods woke up the car. I ordered these items 18 hours after getting the car and the parts were installed 4 days later,LOL..fkuc the break in!!!!!

I then installed an up-pipe and downpipe and that was my Stage II. Car felt great, boosting 18.5 peak on 91oct **** water.

The mid range torque on this car is awesome, somewhere between 2500rpm and 6000-6200 rpm this car has an avalanche of torque but it has no top end like the Evo. The Intercooler is huge, I am not kidding, if it wasn't because of the cheap stapled/cramped end tanks I would suggest keeping the stock intercooler, it still does the job. Also worth mentioning, this car comes with dual AVVS(intake and exhaust variable timing) so I don't recommend doing cams, this system does the job.

I recently went all out on E-85(car had 1800 miles) and I did injectors, fuel pump, EL headers and a custom retune. Car felt significantly faster but the true test to me is always the track. Although the car is trapping a decent trap speed (110 mph) for this altitude(3100 ft), my Evos trapped higher on 91oct and and ran much quicker. The Evos are plain and simple way quicker wether you like it or not. period.

As far is the STI vs the Evo, well, the STI is very slugish in stock form, in fact I tested the WRX and it felt a hair quicker. You can't get to 60mph in second unless you tune the car and raise the limiter but at least you can do mid 120mph on 4ths gear with a 7500rpm red line(great for the race track).

On stock form red line stops very much at 6700rpm where the car falls on his face, it has to do with the ECU shuting down the electronic Throtle body, I mean, You will see 7000 rpms but after 6700 rpm the TB closes a lot. The gears are appropiate, you get around 3000 rpm in 6th gear at 75 mph which is nice.

You can argue all you want but I did the leg work for you(spent probably $18000 plus on moding the 3 evos and the STI) and spend a good 270 passes at the track to test it. Evo > STI all day long on performance.

Steering. Another thing that I noticed is the steering being slower. The STI has a good steering but is not like the Evo. The Evo has a more direct steering , this is very noticeable..

Brakes. The Brembos do the job well but I find the pedal a little soft but what it matters is the stopping distance and time after time the STI proves to have great brakes. I wish the calipers weren't black in color though but they are awesome.

Suspension. The 2011-2012 suppose to be the $hit as far is handling specially after being modified with the new "pillow ball" mechanism for better feel, this came straight from the 2012 STI SE (I believe). Rear spring rates are 51% harder but still feel softer than any Evo ride, sometime the comfort is a good thing. This car comes with an awesome wide track, the wheels although heavy they feel the gap very well.

Seats. Although the seats looks great on the STI, I am afraid to tell you that they don't really compare to the Evo's awesome Recaros. The looks is great and the touch is also good but they don't grab you like the Evo does. On that same note I can bash the Evo seats as far is the ergonomics, the Evo seat sucks when it comes down to adjusting the upper part of the seat with that stupid tiny hiden knob on the left side.

Price. I think that the STI is reasonably priced, however, the WRX is hurting the value of the STI. I am fully aware that the STI is a much better car all day long- any day of the week but Subaru shot themslef in the foot with the marketing. The WRX is a a heck of a car for the price and is as quick on straight line . If you are in a budget I recommend the WRX over the STI because you get 95% of the thrill with great savings!!

Equipment. The car is well equiped, obviously the Brembro brakes, HID, good tires, 6 speed and other cool stuff like cruise control(not found on older evos). Mine is the base model with Navigation and other factory options. The car comes equiped with 245/18 dunlops that feel grabby but the wheels are so heavy(26.6lbs)..I know right?!!!

Space. The car is fairly roomy, it will fit 4 adults comfortably or 5 adults tight but overall it is a decent sedan with fair room and decentr trunk space (way better than the Evo X for sure!!

WHY?.I mainly went for the STI because honestly I have never been too convinced about the Evo X, I also always had an STI on my wish list since forever. I traded a beautiful Mercedes C63 AMG which was modded and was fast as hell, definately a step down on everything from my C63 to the STI but I still wanted to drive an STI at some point and I don't regret. Subaru is offering a 0.9% APR in case that you are interested.

Well folks, that is my review. I don't come to this forum as often as a I use to do a few years ago, I still come here but I don't log in as often. I am currently looking for a used clean Evo without many mods near AZ so hit me up if you have one .
The main reason why i posted my review is because I know that there are thousand of people with an STI on their wish list and also people that get tired of driving a car and want to try something different so maybe my review helps a little bit.

Pictures here: http://s1054.photobucket.com/albums/s489/red2012sti/

Take care!!

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 27, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! Boy, those wheels gotta go
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Nice car Carlos, now ship the subie and get an evo 9 lol
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great looking car. I love the color too
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Curious on why you replaced the up-pipe. My understanding was that the STI up-pipes were all catless anyways so there's very little to gain from changing one out, if you're keeping the stock exhaust manifolds.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see these things from time to time driving around town. IMO, these cars are straight up SEX in grey. I want one, but then again, I want one of everything when it comes to the EVO and the STi platforms.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Curious on why you replaced the up-pipe. My understanding was that the STI up-pipes were all catless anyways so there's very little to gain from changing one out, if you're keeping the stock exhaust manifolds.
Not really true, you gain spool and throttle response (transient). It increases your v.e. Also, the stock manifold (like the evo's, is great until big power; it's reliable and great for spool.

This is not only proven on the dyno (the uppipe part), but I did on my own STi (sold now).

All the best,

Carmi
Old Aug 2, 2012, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

I have an STI and I've heard from a variety of sources that just changing the up-pipe is a bit of a waste. I went with full EL headers and 3-bolt up-pipe.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:10 PM
Silver Sponsor

Congrats on the New STI! We love our 2011 Sedan and they are great cars. Sounds like you have a nice mod list already started on the new ride and having E85 to run should really help it make some torque! That is one thing I have always noticed about most STI's vs Evo's is they just feel faster since they make more torque in most cases.

Thanks,
Dallin
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Oh Carlos, you like a chicken cant find a nest to lay eggs lol.
last time saw your post, you were comparing new z06 and GTR and how you prepare vette for the money and performance
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:14 AM

congrats! I too am a new Sti owner, SWP sedan.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

good review, I would love to own one someday BUT unless Subaru steps up and fixes the ringland failure i would not touch one. Ongoing issue since 2004 that they keep ignoring, it got even bigger with 06-08 modle years too. Fix the issue or bring the japanese version 2.0L STi with better calibrators to meet emisisons standards for US
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:55 AM
Account Disabled

Congrats on the new car! My little brother just picked up a 2012 STi sedan. Definitely a nice daily driver. He doesn't plan on doing much to it as he wants to keep his warranty for a while (and he's not very car savvy, haha), so intake, SPT cat back & a Nav/GPS touch screen. I personally like the hatch STis better but they were pretty much impossible to find.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos,

Very nice choice. STI sedan looks great in red. But, for me, personally, I think I'd have to do a wingectomy.

I do want a ride! Let me know where you are hanging these days. If you are ever on the NW side, let me know.

Do you have both E85 and 91 tunes on the AP for the larger injectors?

Jim

Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erald01
good review, I would love to own one someday BUT unless Subaru steps up and fixes the ringland failure i would not touch one. Ongoing issue since 2004 that they keep ignoring, it got even bigger with 06-08 modle years too. Fix the issue or bring the japanese version 2.0L STi with better calibrators to meet emisisons standards for US
The issue is largely overblown. It was rare in 2004-2006, but did become more common in 2007 onward due to the factory tune. I've yet to know someone personally who had a confirmed ringland issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: from Evos to new STI (12 ' sedan)