Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Last night I was listening to video reports from a group of automotive journalist mostly to see what vehicles they had pulled from the press pool this week. One man was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT with an 'as driven' price of $77,460.00. This wagon comes with a 6.4 liter 475 hp hemi engine.

It's a brave car company that puts a high output engine into anything but especially a body that looks racy or is advertised as being track worthy. Think of the current Toyota 'it's not for' advertising campaign for the Subaru powered 86.

A hemi powered Grand Cherokee is a toy and I would guess that about a third or more of that grand price is intended to cover warranty issues. Exclude that third and you arrive at an at least more believable 50 grand for a luxury Jeep.

So, did Ford put enough cushion into their RS price?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 08:11 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
My review:

I got to AutoX one of these yesterday. I don't remember the weight of the car, but it seemed pretty responsive. I drive an Evo IX, so that's the only car fresh in my mind to compare it to.
The RS was a kick to drive, mostly because I could push the car a bit over the limit of what it can do (mostly limited by tire) and it would make a slight, unobtrusive adjustment. From there, I could either let the car do all the work or reign it in a bit to save the tires. I never overdrove it for the sake of seeing what it would do (I only had four runs) but I hear it does well.
If i didn't have my Evo and/or I wanted to buy a new car that's turbo/AWD/fun/etc, I'd have 0 problems owning one. Worth the price? I think so. The owner has had no performance issues, but has been suffering the "first-year-model blues". It's got a bunch of weird stuff going on that has him looking for a lawyer. Other than that, he says there was one time he drove the car hard and it went into front wheel drive mode and shut down other down as well. It's only happened once and he doesn't know why (he's not mechanically inclined).
My main complaint was the seat. the lower cushion is tilted back so far, it was actually uncomfortable. It didn't hinder my driving, but it annoyed me any time I wasn't focused (pun intended) on driving. Also, the head rest was in the way. I had to recline the seat back farther than I'd like to keep my helmet from being pushed too forward. Good luck getting a HANS in there, too LOL.
You can't hear the crackling and burbles from inside the car, with a helmet on. At least not that I noticed. I didn't care either way, just saying that it's not overpowering.
The group I ran with had some fast cars and good drivers. Top time of the day was a 40.xxx and I was able to squeeze a 42.xxx, so the car has potential to be pretty quick with a better driver. This was all on the stock Michelins. To compare, the 40.xxx was an STU prepped Evo with a very experienced AX driver.
I had a lot of fun in the car and could definitely see myself owning one, though I hear they aren't the most comfortable as a daily.
FWIW: I drove a '16 Mustang 5.0 the rest of the day. While leaps and bounds better than previous generations, it was obviously too big and heavy for AX. Even still, I was (only) two seconds slower in it, though I think I could have done a 43.xxx had the trans not give me issues, later in the day (I suspect some type of heat issue). It was the Track Pack version, so that may have helped. Stock Pirelli P zeros on the front and crappy, 400TW Continentals on the rear. With brake pads and a better tire, the thing would have actually done really well. I was able to get 8 runs in that car.
Ford sure has stepped up their game and I still want an RS. It was a blast.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj
I got to AutoX one of these yesterday. I don't remember the weight of the car, but it seemed pretty responsive. I drive an Evo IX, so that's the only car fresh in my mind to compare it to.
The RS was a kick to drive, mostly because I could push the car a bit over the limit of what it can do (mostly limited by tire) and it would make a slight, unobtrusive adjustment. From there, I could either let the car do all the work or reign it in a bit to save the tires. I never overdrove it for the sake of seeing what it would do (I only had four runs) but I hear it does well.
If i didn't have my Evo and/or I wanted to buy a new car that's turbo/AWD/fun/etc, I'd have 0 problems owning one. Worth the price? I think so. The owner has had no performance issues, but has been suffering the "first-year-model blues". It's got a bunch of weird stuff going on that has him looking for a lawyer. Other than that, he says there was one time he drove the car hard and it went into front wheel drive mode and shut down other down as well. It's only happened once and he doesn't know why (he's not mechanically inclined).
My main complaint was the seat. the lower cushion is tilted back so far, it was actually uncomfortable. It didn't hinder my driving, but it annoyed me any time I wasn't focused (pun intended) on driving. Also, the head rest was in the way. I had to recline the seat back farther than I'd like to keep my helmet from being pushed too forward. Good luck getting a HANS in there, too LOL.
You can't hear the crackling and burbles from inside the car, with a helmet on. At least not that I noticed. I didn't care either way, just saying that it's not overpowering.
The group I ran with had some fast cars and good drivers. Top time of the day was a 40.xxx and I was able to squeeze a 42.xxx, so the car has potential to be pretty quick with a better driver. This was all on the stock Michelins. To compare, the 40.xxx was an STU prepped Evo with a very experienced AX driver.
I had a lot of fun in the car and could definitely see myself owning one, though I hear they aren't the most comfortable as a daily.
FWIW: I drove a '16 Mustang 5.0 the rest of the day. While leaps and bounds better than previous generations, it was obviously too big and heavy for AX. Even still, I was (only) two seconds slower in it, though I think I could have done a 43.xxx had the trans not give me issues, later in the day (I suspect some type of heat issue). It was the Track Pack version, so that may have helped. Stock Pirelli P zeros on the front and crappy, 400TW Continentals on the rear. With brake pads and a better tire, the thing would have actually done really well. I was able to get 8 runs in that car.
Ford sure has stepped up their game and I still want an RS. It was a blast.
Great to hear man. Just to add to your thoughts, my biggest take away from three initial autoxs with the RS is that it or I may not be the fastest out there but I was convinced I had the most fun. It is just a riot to point the car with the throttle. I've never been in an awd car that was as easy to handle when power oversteering as the RS. Just loads of fun.

Also, a few of us are doing the drill the stock front sway bar mod that Evos had done. Seems to aid in the front roll and negative camber loss up front.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Some key takeaways:

Selling 500 per month, 3500 total since launch.

Stealth gray is the most popular color.

The average transaction price – $42,351 – is significantly greater than the model’s $36,120 base price, with more than 62% of buyers springing for the optional RS2 package. That includes leather-trimmed Recaro seats, heating elements for the door mirrors, front seats, and steering wheel, and more. Some 30% of buyers also opt for Nitrous Blue paint – a $695 option.

Read more: http://fordauthority.com/2017/03/us-...#ixzz4bSHf50DN

Last edited by moparfan; Mar 15, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Solid numbers. I'm much more reserved on getting one now. Apparently the trans ismade of the same glass the ST trans is. I think I would get into a Golf R at this price point. Or maybe even spend a bit more on a GT350.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Solid numbers. I'm much more reserved on getting one now. Apparently the trans ismade of the same glass the ST trans is. I think I would get into a Golf R at this price point. Or maybe even spend a bit more on a GT350.
Glass trans from clutch dropping or just enthusiastic shifting?

I think a Camaro 1LE is the choice right now. The prices for those drift down to 39k or so.

Last edited by moparfan; Mar 16, 2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Well, they break in the ST too, I'm not sure what does it, but they simply fail when torque gets above a certain amount.

Yes, the Camaro SS 1LE is a performance bargain. Almost forgot about it. That would also def be worth a test drive. I have read visibility in the 6g is just as bad as the 5g though, which is a huge turn off.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:31 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
How long are they lasting? Which circumstances? The one I drove has 10,000 AutoX and "spirited" miles on it. He launches it every run LOL
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Well, they break in the ST too, I'm not sure what does it, but they simply fail when torque gets above a certain amount.

Yes, the Camaro SS 1LE is a performance bargain. Almost forgot about it. That would also def be worth a test drive. I have read visibility in the 6g is just as bad as the 5g though, which is a huge turn off.
The Ford Focus RS is 0.1 sec faster than the "baby" Camaro v6 1LE...lap video in link

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p-2016-feature

The V8 1LE is on another planet.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:26 PM
EvoM Guru

I don't car how fast it goes if I can't ****ing see out of it lol
The following users liked this post:
Noize (Mar 17, 2017)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

I don't car how fast it goes if I can't ****ing see out of it lol
Think of it as blinders for a race horse?!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
just for everyone's info...My friends coworker who traded in his STI for a new RS just got his trans replaced under warranty with an issue between 3rd and 4th.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
Think of it as blinders for a race horse?!
those horses has a good reason why they have blinders. There is no reason for ANY sports car to have a view as an armored truck. Its plane stupid, and my opinion doesn't do any good for the driver at all.

I have hard time even in Vette vs the Porsche view, if you know what I mean. For me is a big draw back, if the car has forward and side visibility issue.

That is one main reason I kind of never considered an American sports car.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
those horses has a good reason why they have blinders. There is no reason for ANY sports car to have a view as an armored truck. Its plane stupid, and my opinion doesn't do any good for the driver at all.

I have hard time even in Vette vs the Porsche view, if you know what I mean. For me is a big draw back, if the car has forward and side visibility issue.

it looks cool in movies...

that being said, the time I went for a ride along at the track in a Z28, I didn't have any visibility issues. sure maybe day to day creeping into a tight parking lot or driveway is hard, but fun driving it isn't an issue. unless you're doing euro style gymkhana or something
Old Mar 17, 2017, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS

The view of of exotics can't be so good either. Of course, the Camaro is supposed to be an everyday car. It's not like I'm wearing a full face helmet.

Quick Reply: Focus RS