Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I think the FoRS would a better Evo replacement than a car that doesn't exist...lol
Focus RS "availability" until very recently basically said they didn't exist.

The pedestrian Subaru WRX is getting pretty expensive. I welcome new players into the market segment. They might not have cachet now but if they are serious they can build a following over time.

Last edited by moparfan; Aug 26, 2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Exactly my point. Hell, in that very article, there is a suggestion that Hyundai is interested in the same AWD system used in the RS. So if the RS isn't an Evo replacement, how on earth can a car that doesn't exist but may use a system similar to the RS be an Evo replacement?
agree - also keep in mind, mitsu has been refining their awd system for decades - this is ford's first production level go of this particular system, and it already does quite well for what it is. give it a few years, I think it will be amazing. doesn't make me want a ford though
Old Aug 26, 2016, 02:50 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Picture lol
Been keeping up with this thread and this had me LMAO
Old Aug 26, 2016, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I used to laugh at Datsun and Yota too.....The evolving Korean auto market is
growing faster than the polar ice melt. They are hungry like Japan was in the 70's.
They don't mind being poked fun at while they achieve record sales.

Rob may have sentence structure/ formulation issues but he has broader vision.

I remember when my domestic buddies laughed at my Evo ... as I proceeded to
"jaw drop" them. FORD did well for their first go at the AWD hot hatch segment....I suspect they will improve it.

To me their "soup" isn't quit done enough yet for my interest.

Meanwhile I test drove a 2017 FORD Fusion Sport ........... great sleeper!

Last edited by whtrice; Aug 26, 2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts
AWD, turbo Kia Forte(sedan) is a thing I wish existed.

Go ahead and laugh, but then think about how cheap and awesome that would be as a platform.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

I find this video very fair.

I don't care much about "refinement", but that's just my particular bent when it comes to cars. Of particular interest were the comments/perception of the power shifting around in the RS vs. the Evo X. It would have been nice if they were then on a track and then ran laps and got times...but then we would be arguing about which track would be fair etc.

Last edited by moparfan; Aug 27, 2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 06:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
I find this video very fair.

I don't care much about "refinement", but that's just my particular bent when it comes to cars. Of particular interest were the comments/perception of the power shifting around in the RS vs. the Evo X. It would have been nice if they were then on a track and then ran laps and got times...but then we would be arguing about which track would be fair etc.

Ford Focus RS Showdown - Golf R, STI, Evo X - Everyday Driver - YouTube
I got bored, and backed out LOL. Maybe they should have taken them to the track.
😆
Funny, though. I should care about what they have to say, as if I owned any of those, it would be for daily driving.
Old habits die hard.

Last edited by kaj; Aug 28, 2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i watch it, i think it s a nice review.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I got bored, and baked out LOL. Maybe they should have taken them to the track.
��
Funny, though. I should care about what they have to say, as if I owned any of those, it would be for daily driving.
Old habits die hard.
let me summarize:

VW Golf R: competent in everything, yet utterly unexciting. Nerd girl in glasses.

Subaru WRX STI: the girl you've been going out with, she's great (everything you should want) - but you wonder if there's something more out there...

Ford Focus RS: the popular girl, the cheerleader, the honor roll student. Everybody wants her but the reality doesn't match the image. She is at her best at the beginning of your relationship.

Mitsubishi Evolution X: A body built for sin, she's a little unbalanced but life is never boring because she does one thing better than anyone, she's The Natural. You sacrifice everything because it's that good, you might not want to bring her home, but setting aside your better judgement you strap in for the ride. She is the car equivalent of sexual napalm. You want to do something really stupid? She's willing to give it her best shot.

Last edited by moparfan; Aug 28, 2016 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Robevo RS (Aug 28, 2016)
Old Aug 28, 2016, 08:48 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Dang. None of them sound all that great LOL
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Dang. None of them sound all that great LOL
As always, what are your preferences and intended use. I drove a prepped stock autox Miata R for 14 years as my only car. So my ideal of suitable is likely different than most.

Hell, just the fact that I have air conditioning in the Evo X GSR (no options) makes me think of it as a luxury car.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
let me summarize:

VW Golf R: competent in everything, yet utterly unexciting. Nerd girl in glasses.

Subaru WRX STI: the girl you've been going out with, she's great (everything you should want) - but you wonder if there's something more out there...

Ford Focus RS: the popular girl, the cheerleader, the honor roll student. Everybody wants her but the reality doesn't match the image. She is at her best at the beginning of your relationship.

Mitsubishi Evolution X: A body built for sin, she's a little unbalanced but life is never boring because she does one thing better than anyone, she's The Natural. You sacrifice everything because it's that good, you might not want to bring her home, but setting aside your better judgement you strap in for the ride. She is the car equivalent of sexual napalm. You want to do something really stupid? She's willing to give it her best shot.
A very unbiased summary . I wouldn't consider an X "the car equivalent of sexual napalm". I see the X as the only decent person in a family of morons.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

A very unbiased summary . I wouldn't consider an X "the car equivalent of sexual napalm". I see the X as the only decent person in a family of morons.

Give us your unbiased summary.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It says more about us as a car community when the EVO X is considered a normal car.
It says even more when the majority of people in this thread consider a stock evo to be a good starting point. Yes the FoRS has some big shoes to fill, but Ford is only giving us the raw material, it's up to the modding community to take it from here. I've seen enough stock tests and reviews, what's next? Does it have modding potential? Can it be made into a proper track car with minor mods?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Quick Reply: Focus RS