Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Bought an Audi S3, exiting the Evo scene

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought an Audi S3, exiting the Evo scene

I got the Audi S3 from Audi of Raleigh last Thursday. It's a birthday present to myself. I love the car. I've been driving mostly Evos for the past 10 years. I also have had a 2006 M5 (funtastic, but expensive to maintain) and a 2009 GT-R (sold last year to buy a house). This car is a perfect compromise. I am now selling my 05 Evo as soon as it's repaired and I sold my 04 Prius commuter last night.

The S3 is everything that I was a looking for in a car. Good MPGs, quick, great handling, lot's of tech and a warranty. The Audi S3 is fairly light and handle exceptionally well. The DSG is very responsive and smooth. Sorry I'm not a manual transmission purist so this was perfect. My drive to work this morning proved to me I made a good decision for where I'm at in life.

The 2005 Evo I had showed me that I no longer have the patience to deal with them. The costs to get them worked on have gone up substantially over the past several years and I'd rather waste my money on a new shiny/pretty object. I've had Evo in my life since 2 weeks after they came out in 2003... so I guess it's time.

I expect that I'll eventually get some APR tune and maybe a couple other minor mods, but I'm in no rush.

Here is a pic for reference.

Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:36 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You're worried about the cost of maintenance and repair...then bought an Audi?

Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Should of bought a evo x with options. Makes for a nice sporty daily driver.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

@ikt. Maintenance is not an issue, it's the endless modding and repairs to the current Evo. I've spent 90% of this year driving my Prius which was killing me a little bit every day. I had been driving Evos almost non-stop for 11 years (I've had an 03, 05, 06, 08 and 11). I'm just ready to move on to something brand new and Mitsu has nothing on the horizon.

@EvoXisKing. I had a 2011 GSR w/leather, sunroof, etc. It was a nice car and it just doesn't compare to an Audi (or even the CT9A for that matter). I even recommended to someone TODAY to go buy an Evo 10 when they asked me about a comparison b/w the two because they were looking for a fun daily driver.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

i would personally never buy an Audi…

The only european that i would ever consider in my price range is probably the C63 AMG…

By the way, you talk about maintenance….

the europeans make their brake discs very soft… normally replacement of brake pads, it is recommended to replace the rotors also.

unlike Jap or australian cars.

You mention daily reliability, quick and handling….Should've picked an R35 GT-R not only will it easily accomplish all that but you literally own the road…

but at the end of the day, its your money and you seem happy…

thats all the matters
Old Sep 16, 2014, 07:29 AM

Idk why everyone complains about maintenance and repairs on euro cars being so expensive. If there's a warranty then there is nothing to worry about. I do my own maintenance/service on my german car and the parts needed really aren't any more expensive than a japanese car. Aftermarket is another story though.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I wish I could have got my wife to wait for the S3 instead of her impulse purchase of a CLA 250.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

I think they are neat cars... I just sold my Evo over the weekend... and the hardest part is not having a fun car when I've always had something fun over the last 10 years. I'm about to build a new house so I wanted to let it go... but man it was tough. :-/
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:09 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolved 3RS
Idk why everyone complains about maintenance and repairs on euro cars being so expensive. If there's a warranty then there is nothing to worry about. I do my own maintenance/service on my german car and the parts needed really aren't any more expensive than a japanese car. Aftermarket is another story though.
I would buy a Porsche too. I have. Two! But not an Audi. Range Rover was hands down the worst car I'd ever owned, and that was British. Even then...I'd still have a hard time test driving an Aston and not buying it.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Sir, you have some valid points.

I've had a 2009 R35 GT-R. It is not currently in my price range. My wife went back to college and we bought a bigger house. I can't meet my savings goals and buy another $80k car (45k still works). The GT-R was the best car I've ever owned.

The maintenance I refer to is repairing or replacing half (engine, transmission, suspension) of the car over the past year.

The C63 would not be economical for me to drive to work every day. 70 miles round trip. That's why I sold my 06 BMW M5. The S3 does much better for me.

Originally Posted by wowzers
i would personally never buy an Audi…

The only european that i would ever consider in my price range is probably the C63 AMG…

By the way, you talk about maintenance….

the europeans make their brake discs very soft… normally replacement of brake pads, it is recommended to replace the rotors also.

unlike Jap or australian cars.

You mention daily reliability, quick and handling….Should've picked an R35 GT-R not only will it easily accomplish all that but you literally own the road…

but at the end of the day, its your money and you seem happy…

thats all the matters
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoG8r
I got the Audi S3 from Audi of Raleigh last Thursday. It's a birthday present to myself. I love the car. I've been driving mostly Evos for the past 10 years. I also have had a 2006 M5 (funtastic, but expensive to maintain) and a 2009 GT-R (sold last year to buy a house). This car is a perfect compromise. I am now selling my 05 Evo as soon as it's repaired and I sold my 04 Prius commuter last night.

The S3 is everything that I was a looking for in a car. Good MPGs, quick, great handling, lot's of tech and a warranty. The Audi S3 is fairly light and handle exceptionally well. The DSG is very responsive and smooth. Sorry I'm not a manual transmission purist so this was perfect. My drive to work this morning proved to me I made a good decision for where I'm at in life.

The 2005 Evo I had showed me that I no longer have the patience to deal with them. The costs to get them worked on have gone up substantially over the past several years and I'd rather waste my money on a new shiny/pretty object. I've had Evo in my life since 2 weeks after they came out in 2003... so I guess it's time.

I expect that I'll eventually get some APR tune and maybe a couple other minor mods, but I'm in no rush.

Here is a pic for reference.

Can you give your impression of how the S3 is compared to the X MR ? The price on both car is sort of same I am also waiting for my local Audi dealer they are about to receive the new Audi S3s
Old Oct 13, 2014, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

WARRANTY is a huge advantage with the Audi, you're even covered doing a HPDE.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:15 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
MmmMMm warranty
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I'm waiting for the S3 Hatch to come to the USA. I've seen a red one that Audi has been driving around the Bay Area a couple times already so something tells me it is coming.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
WARRANTY is a huge advantage with the Audi, you're even covered doing a HPDE.
Im probably wrong, but I have a hard time believing Audi would warranty anything on track, especially if Porsche voids GT3 warranties if tracked or even if slicks are put on the car.

Quick Reply: Bought an Audi S3, exiting the Evo scene