Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Ring survival

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ring survival

This last summer I went on an epic trip for 2 track days at the Nurburgring and 1 at SPA. It was my second time at the ring, but this time it was with a friend from CA and several from Norway. An awesome trip all around.

This time around the most notable however was that it was my first time in any track event where I actually hit oil on track, and puckered all around. Check out this fun video of me nearly committing to buy a caged and almost wadded up suzuki swift. The video doesn't completely catch the frantic action at the wheel to counter steer this thing, but you can imagine.

Since I was passing and had my crew of cars behind me (inexactly the same setup car) I watched carefully as I passed this slower traffic. By the time I passed him to clear and pull back into the driving line I saw the oil and it was a bit too late. There was carnage behind me as others ran into each other, and all kinds of mess.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fireroasted
This last summer I went on an epic trip for 2 track days at the Nurburgring and 1 at SPA. It was my second time at the ring, but this time it was with a friend from CA and several from Norway. An awesome trip all around.

This time around the most notable however was that it was my first time in any track event where I actually hit oil on track, and puckered all around. Check out this fun video of me nearly committing to buy a caged and almost wadded up suzuki swift. The video doesn't completely catch the frantic action at the wheel to counter steer this thing, but you can imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Rrj68xb1A

Since I was passing and had my crew of cars behind me (inexactly the same setup car) I watched carefully as I passed this slower traffic. By the time I passed him to clear and pull back into the driving line I saw the oil and it was a bit too late. There was carnage behind me as others ran into each other, and all kinds of mess.
That was ****ing close man, good job on the steering! If you don't mind me asking, is there a rental cars mainly sports like evos, gtr's or any other car for that matter that a tourist can rent to drive on the ring?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can rent anything your wallet can handle. GTR's, and GT 3 rs' turbos, etc.

Its a pretty hairy track to learn. Video games get you started but you can't really get oriented until you have done about 20 laps in real life I would say. Then at that point is when you just start learning.

Oil, unfortunately is a real problem on that track. Porsche blow oil on track all day long. Its a real PITA, and I think I now have a hatred for Porsche's because of that. I lost so much of my track time all 3 days combined because of some Porsche mechanical stuff. Usually oil.

rent4ring is the place I have used both times. The guys are solid. Maybe not the cheapest, but they carry the biggest insurance policy, which is better when you really need it to save you thousands after an incident.

My recommendation to even the most experienced track guys from the U.S, is to drive an all momentum car, like those 120HP suzuki swifts for your first couple of days. Front drive, super light, tons of grip is the way to learn that track. Those little cars are not short or fun or excitement either. If you have friends that go with you, you can run the same exact car, and the competition is awesome and fierce. You would be surprised how fast of a lap time you can turn in a low HP car that can stick corners, and brake super late.