Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

This is a direct threat to our hobby!

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This is a direct threat to our hobby!

If GM and John Deere are successful in their efforts to subvert fair use and the DCMA to get it applied to the software on ECU's and likely other embedded devices this can hurt the Tuner scene and the maker movement!

GM says you don't own your car, you just license it

http://flip.it/T86nu
Old May 24, 2015, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

BTW if anyone has been wondering what I have been up to lately.

https://flipboard.com/@malibujack
Old May 24, 2015, 12:22 PM
EvoM Guru

https://mobile.twitter.com/aktivematrix
https://www.pinterest.com/Aktivematrix/

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok.... so, if GM and John Deere are successful in this BS , more then likely other car manufacturer will jump on the band Wagon (pun intended) yes? How can the government stop you from modding your car? Wouldn't this somehow attack constitutional rights?
Old May 24, 2015, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by twabtoxer
Ok.... so, if GM and John Deere are successful in this BS , more then likely other car manufacturer will jump on the band Wagon (pun intended) yes? How can the government stop you from modding your car? Wouldn't this somehow attack constitutional rights?
It will be interesting to see which companies follow this path. I am sure there will be some that will try to use it to their advantage and advertise "freedom" rather than the limited options from GM (if it happens).
I also think there will be some kind of legal battle against it since so many small businesses (even some large auto service and parts chains) will be threatened and put out of businesses. Maybe they can ask for a bailout from GM
Old May 24, 2015, 06:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by twabtoxer
I doubt constitutional rights applies here. The good news is it will unlikely impact the individual. Government regulation has tried for years to stop people from modifying their cars. The real issue is this could be a threat to the people and products who offer the ability to modify the ECU. Especially those offering modified ROMS for custom tunes.

This would be similar to the prosecution of people who made and sold software based on decss To rip DVD's.
Old May 24, 2015, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
cool , so we dont buy GM cars which will fall into this category.
I am sure it will take time to get these cars on the road . So if Let say the Malibu cant be fixed by others only GM certified places , fine by me .

But i think when it will comes down to the performance cars, they will have a problem. There is NO WAY wont be a way to tune the car. any computer can be open up.
I mean we loosing warranty already if you modify your factory tune. What else they can do?

But i think enthusiast will resist buying cars if those can not be modified, hence loosing market.

Serious question, what is the worst they can do if you open up the ECU? I mean you will use it for your own purpose, not reselling it etc. So i cant see the copy right issue, but i am sure i am wrong on that. lol

i am interested what they can do against the owner of the car if he bought it, and what would be the counter action also, if they try to do something against th eowner, since its his or her property now. I mean they paid for it....
If you lease it, then its a different story.

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 24, 2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old May 24, 2015, 07:37 PM
EvoM Guru

I think it's along then lines of any other personal use issue, they likely wouldn't go after the individual but those who provide the tools and information on how to do it. Which is a bigger threat. Make it more difficult for the individual and many will give up trying to innovate. The car guy, maker, builder, hacker, open source community, all thrive on innovation and contributing what they have learned for the greater good. This is a threat to more than just the driveway mechanic or local tuner. This could set the precedent for many more types of hardware out there. In this generation technology everything has some for of microcontroller. Imagine none of it belonging to you because you accepted an EULA by powering it up.
Old May 24, 2015, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I think it's along then lines of any other personal use issue, they likely wouldn't go after the individual but those who provide the tools and information on how to do it. Which is a bigger threat. Make it more difficult for the individual and many will give up trying to innovate. The car guy, maker, builder, hacker, open source community, all thrive on innovation and contributing what they have learned for the greater good. This is a threat to more than just the driveway mechanic or local tuner. This could set the precedent for many more types of hardware out there. In this generation technology everything has some for of microcontroller. Imagine none of it belonging to you because you accepted an EULA by powering it up.
oh i see. That is really bad news, but what happens if you physically changing a main unit, like the Engine ECU?
Maybe that would be the escape plan?
Old May 24, 2015, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motec would become much more popular it seems.
Old May 24, 2015, 09:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Physical swaps are always an option. Assuming you have something you can swap. Imagine every car that gets totalled has its sofrware, or all of its ECU components removed to render it inoperable. That also means your swapped ECU is no longer available. Imagine an EULA restricting the resale of your car because it was modified, or that the software license isn't transferable and the new owner would have to pay a significant licensing fee. It's more than just an individual's willingness to modify their car and bend the rules a bit, it's always been that way.
Old May 26, 2015, 08:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
seems dumb for gm to push this approach. americans view ownership as one of their core rights. to say we don't own our car would get a lot of people up-in-arms.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
They're not saying you don't own the car per se, they're saying that part of the ownership includes what is a licensing agreement of sorts for the software included. It's somewhat analogous to buying a CD. Yes, you own the physical CD. That doesn't mean you can burn the tracks to your computer and modify them.

Constitutional rights are almost certainly not engaged anymore than not allowing people to pirate movies infringes your constitutional rights.

Assuming this actually went through, if they really wanted to, I suppose they could pursue companies like Cobb who produce products or software that crack ECUs and sue them for copyright infringement. They could do the same to individuals who bring their car in with modified ECU programming.

I hope it doesn't pass, even if it won't affect me directly for at least a little while.

Last edited by ambystom01; May 30, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old May 30, 2015, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No more sema !
Old May 30, 2015, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can foresee this giving rise to a new movement in the open source community. Think of Linux and all of its forks. ECU software could potentially endure the same change. They say we're licensing a car due to its software; we end up using unlicensed and open software instead. I can imagine it'll get muddy with warranty work and replacement parts, but with a billion dollar aftermarket parts industry in tow, bills like this won't pass.

The bottom line is the bottom line and GM knows it. If people begin steering clear of GM products, that bottom line becomes very slim. Fat cats like to line their pockets; if their actions give rise to detrimental market practices, they'll most certainly change.

I don't always agree with software rules and regulations(java developer), but those rules are actually good for innovation. People start thinking of ways around the system and it benefits everyone. Google has been doing this with Android(although their services are now closed source) and ECU software will be no different.

GM can sell/license you a car, the community will give you software to truly make it your own.