Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Helmet suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:17 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Helmet suggestions

I'm in the market for a new helmet with an odd caveat. Let me start this out by saying that I am not a baller, so nothing over ~$350 for this guy. That said, I am looking for the lowest profile helmet I can get for under that price. Odd request? Sure. I'm 6'4" and fairly long in the torso. When auto-xing my evo, I had just enough head clearance to use the stock recaro's and barely had to hunch when driving. When I moved on to my C5 Z06, I had to remove the seat and go with an Ultrashield aluminum with custom aluminum brackets that put the seat a quarter inch off the floor. That car is gone now, and I am looking to get back into auto-x. It would help me a lot if I could cut even as much as a half inch off my helmet space. My HJC has a pretty high profile.

Anyone else shop helmets with this in mind? I can't be the only one looking to scrap every ounce of headroom I can out of a car, including the use of helmet selection. I want to compete in stock class C5Z again, so I know I already have to come up with an inch+ of headroom. I don't have access to a wide variety of helmets through retail, so if anyone has shopped around for something like this, I would love to hear your input.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 08:58 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Have you looked at open face helmets? They tend to be a bit thinner. Obvious tradeoffs, of course...