Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Civic Type R

Old Sep 30, 2016, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I am glad to read some of these posts. I was beginning to think I was the only person who didn't care for this car. This car has been the big hype on Facebook recently. But it is nice to see Honda going with turbochargers, Honda guys all over the world have been waiting years for that. I wonder how long it will be before we see one of these stanced on 19x14 wheels lol
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by josh_evo9
I am glad to read some of these posts. I was beginning to think I was the only person who didn't care for this car. This car has been the big hype on Facebook recently. But it is nice to see Honda going with turbochargers, Honda guys all over the world have been waiting years for that. I wonder how long it will be before we see one of these stanced on 19x14 wheels lol

Well, if is out before H20i in ocean city, MD (late September) that will at least be the first chance to see one
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Astro_Train
man I am glad someone here has some sense... this thing looks like complete poop.. looks like Celica from the late 80s with a bunch a crap on it and a wing that was ripped off a sail boat..
lol thank you. this thing is so gaudy. the type r's of the late 90s and early 2000s were at least fairly clean looking in stock form, before the tuners went to town on them
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Migsubishi
At least Honda smartened up a little by turbocharging more than jet skies but still no awd no care...
damn those jetski's without awd!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Old Sep 30, 2016, 05:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Everyone used to complain that Hondas looked all "racey" (ricey) because they had all the go-fast looks but nothing to back it up.
Now that we finally get one that performs, people still aren't happy with it

I have no problem with how it looks, as long it's not all show and no go. IMO, the Evo IV-IX looked just as riced out. I bet most of the "gaudy" parts on the CTR can be found on an Evo. Wing? check. Vortex generator? check. Rear diffuser? check (though non-functional). Flared fenders? check. etc, etc.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 05:50 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by silverevo05

I compared for about a full minute. The more I look, the less similarities I see.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Everyone used to complain that Hondas looked all "racey" (ricey) because they had all the go-fast looks but nothing to back it up.
Now that we finally get one that performs, people still aren't happy with it

I have no problem with how it looks, as long it's not all show and no go. IMO, the Evo IV-IX looked just as riced out. I bet most of the "gaudy" parts on the CTR can be found on an Evo. Wing? check. Vortex generator? check. Rear diffuser? check (though non-functional). Flared fenders? check. etc, etc.
Wing - down force (awd)
Vortex generator - directs air to wing for downforce (awd)
Rear diffuser - again aero for air direction
Flared fenders -rally cars use a wider stance - better stability

I can only justify 2 of those for a FWD car, sorry I just don't see your point.
The following users liked this post:
Evo VI. (Feb 16, 2017)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 06:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Wing - down force (awd)
Vortex generator - directs air to wing for downforce (awd)
Rear diffuser - again aero for air direction
Flared fenders -rally cars use a wider stance - better stability

I can only justify 2 of those for a FWD car, sorry I just don't see your point.
what exactly makes you say a fwd car doesn't need rear downforce? All the fast fwd time attack cars have wings. Aero works on any car, the drive wheels don't matter
Old Sep 30, 2016, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts

I notice the blue car has the three holes where the exhaust should have been installed.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
what exactly makes you say a fwd car doesn't need rear downforce? All the fast fwd time attack cars have wings. Aero works on any car, the drive wheels don't matter
Ask yourself this, why would a fwd car need downforce in the rear? Wouldn't that take weight off the front wheels as downforce starts to push down on the rear? I mean if I'm wrong I can accept that but I doubt it.

Fwd - Aero yes
Fwd - rear downforce ??
Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Ask yourself this, why would a fwd car need downforce in the rear? Wouldn't that take weight off the front wheels as downforce starts to push down on the rear? I mean if I'm wrong I can accept that but I doubt it.

Fwd - Aero yes
Fwd - rear downforce ??
Typical front drive car = 60% of the vehicle's weight on the front wheels. Now add some braking and you get weight shift to the front. Now add a corner while braking and the rear of the car has no traction.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Typical front drive car = 60% of the vehicle's weight on the front wheels. Now add some braking and you get weight shift to the front. Now add a corner while braking and the rear of the car has no traction.
Again, forgive me if I'm wrong, but if your braking, doesn't that limit the amount of wind pressure on the back of the vehicle therefore eliminating downforce all together? You do know what downforce is and how it's created right? Eh who knows, everyone on here knows it all, maybe I'm the one lost.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Fwd - Aero yes
Fwd - rear downforce ??
That's why you add a splitter, you want balanced downforce.

It's bad for any car to have downforce only on the rear. On a rwd car it'll cause understeer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Civic Type R