Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
That's why you add a splitter, you want balanced downforce.

It's bad for any car to have downforce only on the rear. On a rwd car it'll cause understeer.
I believe that once a vehicle is no longer moving at a speed to where the air rushing over and under the vehicle is no longer moving at a velocity to cause any type of force due to braking as you mentioned earlier the idea of downforce becomes irrelevant. I can see all the aero you named being needed and yes I agree for it to be needed at high speeds on most high end vehicles however you still fail to convince me that a Fwd car needs a vortex generator and rear spoiler for downforce in the rear.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Migsubishi
Again, forgive me if I'm wrong, but if your braking, doesn't that limit the amount of wind pressure on the back of the vehicle therefore eliminating downforce all together? You do know what downforce is and how it's created right? Eh who knows, everyone on here knows it all, maybe I'm the one lost.
Aero only works at high speed - like starting at maybe 80 mph but not really kicking in until 100 mph. The type R is intended for the enthusiast buyer so it probably will go to the track. Plus there is always the person who has to see how fast their car will go. Owners of Evo 9's have broken the wing at high speed.

Tracks have lots of corners and you go into them braking at high speed.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Aero only works at high speed - like starting at maybe 80 mph but not really kicking in until 100 mph. The type R is intended for the enthusiast buyer so it probably will go to the track. Plus there is always the person who has to see how fast their car will go. Owners of Evo 9's have broken the wing at high speed.

Tracks have lots of corners and you go into them braking at high speed.
I'll take your word for it
Old Sep 30, 2016, 09:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I believe that once a vehicle is no longer moving at a speed to where the air rushing over and under the vehicle is no longer moving at a velocity to cause any type of force due to braking as you mentioned earlier the idea of downforce becomes irrelevant. I can see all the aero you named being needed and yes I agree for it to be needed at high speeds on most high end vehicles however you still fail to convince me that a Fwd car needs a vortex generator and rear spoiler for downforce in the rear.
I didn't say anything about braking

As far as at what speed the aero is affective it depends on what it was designed for.

Technically nothing "needs" downforce. I also fully realize that the oem CTR aero isn't exactly doing anything crazy, mostly for looks.

The part that bugged me about your original post was saying that rear downforce is unjustified in a fwd car. That's flat out wrong. If you're building a fwd car with real aero, you want downforce on both ends of the car, same for rwd and awd. Adding downforce on only one end will make any drive wheel configuration do funky things.

Check out this interview with an actual aerodynamicist. His fwd eclipse shamed every wheel drive config in the class it ran, and guess what, huge wing.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/06/...erodynamics-2/
Old Sep 30, 2016, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

You're too easy to convince. I should start talking to you about politics.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 09:28 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Wing - down force (awd)
Vortex generator - directs air to wing for downforce (awd)
Rear diffuser - again aero for air direction
Flared fenders -rally cars use a wider stance - better stability

I can only justify 2 of those for a FWD car, sorry I just don't see your point.
You just lost credibility in this thread.
😛
Old Sep 30, 2016, 09:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Me?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Me?
Reply was intended for Migsubishi.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
You just lost credibility in this thread.
😛
You lost credibility the moment you acknowledged that you liked riced out Hondas.

All I did was ask questions for that I might gain education about something I'm not to sure about. How does that speak for credibility, now I wonder why people say they don't like asking for help or asking questions on this board.
The following users liked this post:
kamote2000 (Oct 1, 2016)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Trust me, I'm not convinced of anything, I just lost interest and didn't care to keep going back and forth about it.

Besides, if it meant that much to me, I wouldn't get my info from here, I'd just contact Myles or Aaron about it.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
really want this one.
it does resemble the sti tho but HONDA!!!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Trust me, I'm not convinced of anything, I just lost interest and didn't care to keep going back and forth about it.

Besides, if it meant that much to me, I wouldn't get my info from here, I'd just contact Myles or Aaron about it.
Myles or Aaron from English? I mean their shop turns out quality work, but they're not aerodynamicists... I don't ever remember seeing a car from them past very basic aero bolt ons... why would you go to them for aero advise?

or are you talking about a different Myles and Aaron?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Myles or Aaron from English? I mean their shop turns out quality work, but they're not aerodynamicists... I don't ever remember seeing a car from them past very basic aero bolt ons... why would you go to them for aero advise?

or are you talking about a different Myles and Aaron?
Yes English racing, Stm, or Boostin as the only aero I would ever be interested in, they have full knowledge of. Drag is the only thing I've ever been into.

I was just simply curious as to why a fwd car needed downforce in the rear as it goes against everything I've ever read and heard so I asked. My bad

Last edited by Migsubishi; Oct 1, 2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:29 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
You lost credibility the moment you acknowledged that you liked riced out Hondas.

All I did was ask questions for that I might gain education about something I'm not to sure about. How does that speak for credibility, now I wonder why people say they don't like asking for help or asking questions on this board.
Um... I'm rubber and you're glue? Great come back LOL. I didn't see you asking any questions in your reply but that's beside the point. Either way I was just busting your ***** a bit (hence the 😛 smiley).
To sum it up, all cars need front and rear downforce. Aerodynamics don't care which wheels drive the car, you still don't want a loose rear end while doing 100mph on a sweeper. Rear wings help all cars.
Ever wonder why a top fuel dragster has front aero? I mean, its RWD, right? Yet:

As mentioned above, the car has to be balanced. It doesn't matter if it's FWD, RWD, or jet powered. Both ends gotta stick.

Yes English racing, Stm, or Boostin as the only aero I would ever be interested in, they have full knowledge of. Drag is the only thing I've ever been into.

I was just simply curious as to why a fwd car needed downforce in the rear as it goes against everything I've ever read and heard so I asked. My bad
Consider your sources, I'd say. If you for that info from the internet...well, we all know how reliable that can be.

Aerodynamics also matter for drag racing. Having the car getting "light" and moving on you at the big end is NO fun.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Um... I'm rubber and you're glue? Great come back LOL. I didn't see you asking any questions in your reply but that's beside the point. Either way I was just busting your ***** a bit (hence the �� smiley).
To sum it up, all cars need front and rear downforce. Aerodynamics don't care which wheels drive the car, you still don't want a loose rear end while doing 100mph on a sweeper. Rear wings help all cars.
Ever wonder why a top fuel dragster has front aero? I mean, its RWD, right? Yet:

As mentioned above, the car has to be balanced. It doesn't matter if it's FWD, RWD, or jet powered. Both ends gotta stick.

Consider your sources, I'd say. If you for that info from the internet...well, we all know how reliable that can be.

Aerodynamics also matter for drag racing. Having the car getting "light" and moving on you at the big end is NO fun.
There is no need for a come back because your only arguing with yourself, I refuse to argue with stupid. Plus I really have no interest in anything you have to say.

To the rest of you
, thanks for your input but like previously mentioned I'm just into drag racing so the rest is irrelevant to me which is why I questioned downforce on a fwd car.

Last edited by Migsubishi; Oct 1, 2016 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Civic Type R