Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

calling all Audi 1.8 5 valve nerds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 05:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
calling all Audi 1.8 5 valve nerds

someone talk nerdy to me about the audi 5 valve 1.8 engine. a friend of mine has a 944 and he's considering getting the swap... I know the engine has audi rally pedigree, really light, can make great reliable power... is there anything to watch out for with this engine? also, how the hell does it run 5 valves per cylinder with only 1 cam? didn't rally versions of these spin to like 9k rpm?

here's the shop that would do the swap
http://www.motorwerksracing.com/pors...sion-18t-swap/

am I crazy or is fire shooting out of the exhaust manifold into the engine bay a bad idea?

Last edited by WarmMilk; Dec 6, 2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The 4cyl 5v engine has 2 cams, only 1 external cam gear. There is a internal chain on the opposite side of the head if I remember correctly.

They are pretty stout engines, great for 250-400hp.
Larger hp usually is pretty laggy due to the displacement.
My experience with this are from many years back, I don't remember them taking more than 300whp without upgraded internals, but that power could be out dated now.

Head jobs were very expensive, typically no body every did anything but the internals, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds and big turbos back in the day.
Anyone who wanted big power usually went with a VR6 2.8L, 3.0L, or 3.2L... years later a 3.6L was released. VR motor is one of the best sounding engines ever in my opinion.

I would imagine a 1.8T is dirt cheap now a days.
The largest factor which many had back then was tuning. This is when cookie cutter tuning was coming out, not a lot of players in the game.
You had X tune and needed X,Y,Z parts.
Only people willing to do a custom setup with standalone and to pay big money.
I remember installing and tuning 034EFI on my buddies GTi maxing out that little K03 (like 11 yrs ago)
... because of this scenario it limited the potential to push these engines IMO.
The easier route was to use the 6cyl which many did.

This engine head swap became popular for the 1.8L and 2.0L 8v motors in MKii and iii vw's

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Dec 12, 2016 at 11:32 AM.