Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

DIYers.. Chime IN!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:07 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
^ I get what you're saying about it being an actual shop as its solely there to generate money. But at the same time its not like your garage appeared out of nowhere along with the tools. Aren't you paying a mortgage on the house? If not youre still paying real estate taxes at the very least.
Yah thats all true, but you are paying for that stuff anyway. Its not like you are counting on your garage to generate the income to pay your mortgage, but if you are then what i said about the shop would apply. I bought all my tools and equipment for my own enjoyment and self reliance. I didn't buy that stuff to make money, so there is no opportunity cost to me diverting those resources to help a friend like there would be in a shop. In the shop helping out a buddy means not using those resources to make money, my resources where never intended to make me money so nothing is lost.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great discussion everyone! I personally will request monetary compensation for my efforts as I am not that particular for spending my downtime getting bloodied, dirty and bruised. This nominal fee (as aforementioned) is incredibly helpful for not only an earning opportunity but also a cost savings for someone that would traditionally have their vehicle worked on by a shop OR attempt it themselves and end up breaking something to cause more of an investment of their funds.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yes, however you forgot about the opportunity cost of your time.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Thanks for paying up Joe. All we ask is that our time be compensated for. I'm not trying to empty my friends wallets...

It's not a "shop" in that sense, but it is a full shop at his house. Not pictured is the drill press, bead blast cabinet, parts washer, press, air compressor, etc...

Quoted because I think you guys missed it.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:16 PM

on a slightly different note what kind of disclaimer, if any, do you guys usually give your friends? What i tell them is that I am helping them work on their car. So if something breaks or gets damaged its on them. Nothing is guaranteed and they need to have the means to get it towed out if for some reason that's called for. This is also why i stipulate that they have to get hands on and that i am supervising them. This is also why working out of a shop would be a little more problematic, because of potential liability issues.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I used to take in cars that needed work to make a little extra money. You soon learn the folly in that. Most cars you encounter need everything and the owner is bringing it to you in an effort to save money.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
on a slightly different note what kind of disclaimer, if any, do you guys usually give your friends? What i tell them is that I am helping them work on their car. So if something breaks or gets damaged its on them. Nothing is guaranteed and they need to have the means to get it towed out if for some reason that's called for. This is also why i stipulate that they have to get hands on and that i am supervising them. This is also why working out of a shop would be a little more problematic, because of potential liability issues.
Yea I make sure this is clear before I help them do anything. Or if they are unaware removing part C might mean that parts A and B also may have to be replaced now as well.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I've never had an issue with breaking/damaging things during work.

If I drop someones trans or tcase, obviously that one is on me. But bolts galling/breaking upon removal obviously isn't my problem (turbo/exhaust stuff).

I also offer no warranty because people usually insist on buying their own parts.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:22 PM

Yes, however you forgot about the opportunity cost of your time.
Well in my specific case, I enjoyed the opportunity to help a friend learn and become more self reliant. If they already know what they are doing and just want to use my space i would probably still charge them my customary case of beer, or some weed, and just hang out with them while they do their thing, assuming I want to hang out with them. If I don't then its just not gonna happen. I also never lend out tools.

So if you feel you have better uses for your time but your gonna side track those things then charging some money seems totally legit to me.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Quoted because I think you guys missed it.
You're not allowed to quote yourself Sheesh man this is why we can't have nice things!

This is a really good point and something that has concerned me and/or is an annoyance. I had a roomate for about a year this past year. He's also a car guy evo owner actually and fairly capable working on cars. But I had concerns about liability if something were to happen. Of course if he breaks my tools that is annoying but the bigger concern for me was thinking about the worst thing that could happen. What if his car were to fall off the lift? What's to say said person couldn't come after me and take my house?

The first time he went to use my lift I showed him where to place the arms. One day I came home and his car was up in the air and the car was way too far forward. He told me he didn't like where the arms were placed and preferred this way. I told him very simply if you want to use my garage and specifically my lift you don't get to make those decisions.

At the end of the day I think the only true way to protect yourself from liability it to be aware of what's going on at all times.

Well in my specific case, I enjoyed the opportunity to help a friend learn and become more self reliant. If they already know what they are doing and just want to use my space i would probably still charge them my customary case of beer, or some weed, and just hang out with them while they do their thing, assuming I want to hang out with them. If I don't then its just not gonna happen. I also never lend out tools.

So if you feel you have better uses for your time but your gonna side track those things then charging some money seems totally legit to me.
Yeah fair enough. And I don't mean to come across as argumentative so apologize in advance if it's sounding that way. I think we're on the same page. To your point Im not doing it to make money. That's why I go to work M-F. And I obviously enjoy wrenching on cars. If its a good friend its all in fun; typically Ill get a free lunch out of it or something simple like that. I'm not expecting to be paid for the job and have turned down money from people because it just wasn't a big deal to throw a starter in my buddies ranger and crap like that. I guess at the end of the day its more about the attitude of said person and who that person is in the first place.

Last edited by heel2toe; Dec 9, 2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 01:48 PM

Thanks for paying up Joe. All we ask is that our time be compensated for. I'm not trying to empty my friends wallets...

It's not a "shop" in that sense, but it is a full shop at his house. Not pictured is the drill press, bead blast cabinet, parts washer, press, air compressor, etc...
Damn i wish my garage was big enough for a lift, im jelly.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 02:13 PM

This is a really good point and something that has concerned me and/or is an annoyance. I had a roomate for about a year this past year. He's also a car guy evo owner actually and fairly capable working on cars. But I had concerns about liability if something were to happen. Of course if he breaks my tools that is annoying but the bigger concern for me was thinking about the worst thing that could happen. What if his car were to fall off the lift? What's to say said person couldn't come after me and take my house?

The first time he went to use my lift I showed him where to place the arms. One day I came home and his car was up in the air and the car was way too far forward. He told me he didn't like where the arms were placed and preferred this way. I told him very simply if you want to use my garage and specifically my lift you don't get to make those decisions.

At the end of the day I think the only true way to protect yourself from liability it to be aware of what's going on at all times.

Yeah fair enough. And I don't mean to come across as argumentative so apologize in advance if it's sounding that way. I think we're on the same page. To your point Im not doing it to make money. That's why I go to work M-F. And I obviously enjoy wrenching on cars. If its a good friend its all in fun; typically Ill get a free lunch out of it or something simple like that. I'm not expecting to be paid for the job and have turned down money from people because it just wasn't a big deal to throw a starter in my buddies ranger and crap like that. I guess at the end of the day its more about the attitude of said person and who that person is in the first place.

Thats a really valid concern, and depending on your state they could totally come after you for an accident that happened on your property. Good home owners insurance is pretty much the best you can do, as well as exercising good common sense. The only people I would trust to come over and use my facilities if i wasn't there would probably be family members, and even then only the ones I know aren't morons.

No worries, I didn't think you where trying to argue. Everyone has their own perspective. I was just trying to clarify how i look at it. I do I.T. professionally and I approach that from a completely different perspective. The only people that get free computer help from me are my parents and maybe immediate family.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 02:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm usually on the novice end of the spectrum when it comes to the repair. Unfortunately most of the people I know are even less handy when it comes to auto repair than I am. So I rely a lot on forums, DIY's, and especially youtube videos to teach me. When I do have a friend who knows more, I will offer them food, beer (after the job is done), and sometimes money if it's a big job. No one has ever taken the money I offer.

I try to repay that by offering to help other friends save money by doing their brake jobs, other general maintenance things like shocks and sensors, etc. I was like them once, just like the people who help me were like I am once. Helping just raises the competency of your friends the next time you need their help. At least that's the way I look at it.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Don't get me wrong Im all for helping people and paying it forward. And Im not one to take money from someone especially if its someone Im friends with as I'd prefer to work on cars then sit and play video games like most people these days, lol. In those cases all I really want is a sub or pizza bc hey I gotta eat right?

It's just getting harder these days as Im not one to say no typically because I always try to find the good in people and believe that if I can help someone then I'd like to because thats the kid of person I am and don't feel the need to be compensated. The problem is that there are people who try to take advantage of it and that's what annoys me.

I work in an office at a fairly small company ~180 employees. It didn't take long for people to notice that I was into cars when they see the stupid car with the big wing and loud exhaust pull into the parking lot. So when somebody comes up to me that I don't particularly care for and complains that they don't wanna pay a mechanic to do their brakes and they think he's charging too much and ask if I'll "just do it for them?" bc they know Im "into" cars and its probably fun for me. Those are the kind of folks that Im trying to cut off.

I feel like I sound like a grumpy old man right now. I think I should go home and work on my car bc I can, lol
Old Dec 9, 2016, 02:48 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
lol, I completely understand and sympathize with your plight. I'm fortunate that most of the people I ask for help are friends from autocross. They already know that if I could do it myself, I would. I also try to help them with tear down / packing up their crap at events as a thank you.

If I were a mechanic, I would have a totally different thought process. This is my craft, it's how I make my living, as a friend you should want to bring me your business because I'll do what I can to provide a solid repair at an honest cost. Don't come asking for discounts, you'll probably get one anyway.

Quick Reply: DIYers.. Chime IN!