Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

DIYers.. Chime IN!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIYers.. Chime IN!

Hello EvoM Community!

I wanted to spark discussions around automotive work / service / installations.

Who all out of this community does all of the work related to their vehicles need, whether thats miscellaneous maintenance, installation of new and shiny parts, etc...Then who takes that a step further by assisting others (friends / family / fellow enthusiasts) with help when it is needed?

On the contrary:

Are those out there that would like to do more work on their vehicle but don't have the tools, resources, or confidence to do so? If that is the case (or one of the cases), do you fall back upon trying to find friends, family or other enthusiasts to help you with whatever your task might be?

Personally:

I have great deal of knowledge surrounding mechanics, but just don't have all the tools that are sometimes required to do the job (its just so damn expensive). This said, over time, I've networked with fellow enthusiasts that allow me to work on my vehicle at their place to not only save money, but to also make the install go smoother (we've all been there with the PITA ones).

Hope this sparks a great discussion!

Jack
Old Dec 9, 2016, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Only work I don't do is rebuilding CV axles because it's a ****ing and I'd rather pay someone to do it. And I don't build gear, send my stuff to TRE for that.

I actually do a decent amount of side work for the Evo community here in Vegas. I'm pretty good at mechanicing, I guess...lol

Last edited by Nsomniac; Dec 9, 2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Dodging the swear filter
Old Dec 9, 2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Only work I don't do is rebuilding CV axles because it's a ****ing and I'd rather pay someone to do it. And I don't build gear, send my stuff to TRE for that.

I actually do a decent amount of side work for the Evo community here in Vegas. I'm pretty good at mechanicing, I guess...lol
Cv's are a total bear, so I do not blame you for that one. Getting into the specialty type of jobs I traditionally prefer a shop to handle it, but connecting with others that have a vast amount of experience on the Evo platform has served to save me tons of cash, and has taught me valuable lessons!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

I could go through my transmissions myself. Even when I rebuilt my trans, I took it apart and sent TRE the shafts and final drive/center diff. So I still had to assemble the cases and set bearing preloads when I got it back. Then when I decided I didn't like the 4.11 final drive, I swapped in a new 4.53 (OEM) final drive that Jon sent me.

I know how to do ring and pinions, but the tools are expensive to set up the mitsu stuff, especially your pinion depth. And if I screw it up, and ring and pinion is $650 or so. Not worth it, I'll just pay someone to do it. Bring me a ford 9in though and I can set those up all day...lol
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:34 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Yah nobody touches my car but me, if i have to send things out I do, but only to places i trust. I help my friends that are willing to roll up their sleeves and get dirty with me.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:08 AM
EvoM Guru

I still charge my friends a nominal rate, like $100 a day. I have better things to do than work on cars for free, even if it's for friends. And those better things are usually billing a client $60/hr...lol
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:13 AM

I still charge my friends a nominal rate, like $100 a day. I have better things to do than work on cars for free, even if it's for friends. And those better things are usually billing a client $60/hr...lol
Yah I agree with where you are coming from. If they wanted to just drop off their car for me to work on i would either charge them, or just tell them no. I enjoy teaching my friends some self reliance though so usually the case of beer or paying for lunch is all i will charge for my "supervision" and use of my facilities. The stipulation that they will have to get their hands dirty and work too is a great filter to separate the people who would want the opportunity to learn and improve themselves from people just trying to be cheap and take advantage of your skills.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Yah I agree with where you are coming from. If they wanted to just drop off their car for me to work on i would either charge them, or just tell them no. I enjoy teaching my friends some self reliance though so usually the case of beer or paying for lunch is all i will charge for my "supervision" and use of my facilities. The stipulation that they will have to get their hands dirty and work too is a great filter to separate the people who would want the opportunity to learn and improve themselves from people just trying to be cheap and take advantage of your skills.
That's really what I'm trying to weed out. And $100 for 8hrs of work is definitely not unreasonable, even if they are doing most of the work, they're using my tools, my dads shop, my dads lift, etc. None of that is free. And I'm stuck there all day, so I usually end up helping because they work too slow..
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I do all my own work except transmission and gear type stuff. Built my motor in my garage. Etc. This is a good platform to learn also, I think. Haha.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Lol, we were just talking about this. Personally Im a big DIYer and have done all the work on my car aside from the tuning and building of drivetrain parts. The way I see it, its hard to really screw up an install if you are careful and pay attention. It helps that I enjoy wrenching too; its my getaway from the rest of the things in life. Actually it's not just wrenching it's really anything that involves using my hands to build and fix things ranging from cars and small engines to carpentry plumbing electrical etc.

However there are certain things that I find it's best to leave to the professionals. Drivetrain stuff TRE come and get it. I have no desire to build my trans and the equipment and different machining processes that he can provide ultimately lead to a better product to have it it. And as far as the tuning, its always interested me, I love learning about it, but when one of your good friends is a very competent evo tuner well lets just say I dont tune my own car

That last line is exactly what really grinds my gears. I worked hard to get to where I am. The tools that I own the garage that I work in are things that I've purchased. I spent good money and a crapload of time to insulate my garage, the sink yeah I plumbed it, compressor and airlines yeah those too. I can go on and on. But then I'll get comments like "oh you're so lucky to have a garage" or even better "oh you're so lucky to have a lift in your garage." "If I had the space and the tools like you do I wouldnt mind working on other people's cars"

Its the assumption that because I have the means I should just do someone a solid and help them out. But what they fail to realize is that contrary to what they think, no I didnt get lucky. I didnt win the lottery. All the things they see are things that I built or purchased with yeah you guess it money that I earned from yeah you guessed it working.

Of course there are people that I have no problem helping them out. But these are family GF or good friends who have paid it forward in some way whether its helping me move crap, help me with my never ending Craigslist finds or even lend a hand when Im working on my car. But if you've never once done anything for me, dont have any interest in helping out down the road and only want me to fix their car so they don't have to pay a mechanic then I think Im all set.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:44 AM

That's really what I'm trying to weed out. And $100 for 8hrs of work is definitely not unreasonable, even if they are doing most of the work, they're using my tools, my dads shop, my dads lift, etc. None of that is free. And I'm stuck there all day, so I usually end up helping because they work too slow..
Oh yah, if your talking about access to an actual shop then a fee is totally justified. That is space that exists to generate money, there are operating costs, insurance etc etc. For me its just my garage so there aren't all those factors at play.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I stopped by the dealer one day to pick up a part and the service manager insisted on applying a new sticker, a recall, for GVW. So, I can't say the dealer has never touched my car. Other than that I do my own work and the car still runs. My wife drives a Subaru and if I have tools out I probably am working on her car. The Evo is close to bullet proof.

There's Harbor Freight and Sears both a mile from my house so I don't worry about needing some tool to complete the job. Some of the Harbor Freight stuff is quality while Sears is busy going the other direction. Comparisons to Snap-on are silly but I do have some core sockets and wrenches that are high quality - love the box end offset Facom wrenches I own. Buy the tools you need to do the job. If I owned every tool I want I wouldn't be able to house the car inside.

Buy a quality jack. Some of the little $35 jacks I see people using scare me. You want a nice reliable jack that doesn't leak down. That way you can put it under the pan, take off the motor mounts and if you come back three weeks later, nothing has moved.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^ I get what you're saying about it being an actual shop as its solely there to generate money. But at the same time its not like your garage appeared out of nowhere along with the tools. Aren't you paying a mortgage on the house? If not youre still paying real estate taxes at the very least.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I have a younger friend who is a mechanic & we just installed coilovers on my DD

I always cover his $time$ as I truly appreciate the hard work wrenching requires
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
I have a younger friend who is a mechanic & we just installed coilovers on my DD

I always cover his $time$ as I truly appreciate the hard work wrenching requires
Thanks for paying up Joe. All we ask is that our time be compensated for. I'm not trying to empty my friends wallets...

Oh yah, if your talking about access to an actual shop then a fee is totally justified. That is space that exists to generate money, there are operating costs, insurance etc etc. For me its just my garage so there aren't all those factors at play.
It's not a "shop" in that sense, but it is a full shop at his house. Not pictured is the drill press, bead blast cabinet, parts washer, press, air compressor, etc...
Attached Thumbnails DIYers.. Chime IN!-photo766.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIYers.. Chime IN!