Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Recently, I test drive the new 2017 Camaro SS 1LE. This is the 455 HP model with electronic LSD, magnetic dampers, engine, transmission and differential coolers as well as upgraded tires, wheels, and brakes.

Overall, the car looks really good in person. The car I drove was gray metallic. Even though it was dirty, it still grabbed people's attention. The tires and brakes are massive. For a stock car, the V8 rumble is pretty cool.

Inside, I found the car to hit the mark. I'm not much of an interior person, so my tastes are likely skewed, but the seating position was nice and low (i.e. feels like a sports car), and the gear box and steering wheel were perfectly placed. The steering wheel is nice and small and perfectly positioned for driving. Both the steering wheel and the gear box have a nice soft suede covering that has a great feel. The rear visibility was not nearly as bad as I thought, but then again my daily driver also has limited visibility.

In terms of driving, I was shocked how well the clutch and gearbox felt. Frankly, I was expecting a heavy clutch and a clunky gear box, but it was just the opposite. Honestly, the gear box was one of the best I've driven.

The steering feel was good, but not nearly as good as my Evo VIII. While I only drove the car in "Sport" mode, I wished the steering was quicker like the Evo (not sure if other driving modes offer quicker steering).

Overall, the car did not feel large or bulky like I expected. Its not like a Miata, but it isn't similar to a Chevy Impala either.

Power wise was hard to judge. I didn't get to take it on any roads where I could really let it rip (and I don't really want to beat on a brand new limited edition car). However, the power seemed good, but not overwhelming. Maybe it was the linear power band?

The rear seats were tiny and honestly I would never even attempt to put a child seat back there. Therefore, I could never use it for the family, but then again I usually take my SUV for those trips anyway.

Overall, if I was going to buy a new car, I think this would be it. Nothing in this price range, at least stock, comes close to it from a performance perspective. It will be a tough decision whether to buy the Camaro SS 1LE or go with an HTA 71 build on my Evo VIII

Last edited by revhappy; Jan 17, 2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Whats the MSRP on it? Chevy doesn't have it on their site yet.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Whats the MSRP on it? Chevy doesn't have it on their site yet.
MSRP is $45,965 for 1SS 1LE on my dealer's web site. MSRP for the 1LE package is $6,500 on top of a regular SS price. They offered me $43,500 before tax, title and license without any negotiation and said they'd go lower. I think I could easily get them down another $1,000 or so, but really haven't researched the pricing yet (it is a limited trim model).

Last edited by revhappy; Jan 17, 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 04:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Chevy is so funny. Dealers already dealing a brand new trim car. Meanwhile Ford dealers are still charging ADM's on GT350's lol
Old Jan 17, 2017, 04:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Chevy is so funny. Dealers already dealing a brand new trim car. Meanwhile Ford dealers are still charging ADM's on GT350's lol
to be fair, the GT350 is more Z28 equivalent... Z28's were marked up for a while as well when they first started selling
Old Jan 17, 2017, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by revhappy
Recently, I test drive the new 2017 Camaro SS 1LE. This is the 455 HP model with electronic LSD, magnetic dampers, engine, transmission and differential coolers as well as upgraded tires, wheels, and brakes.

Overall, the car looks really good in person. The car I drove was gray metallic. Even though it was dirty, it still grabbed people's attention. The tires and brakes are massive. For a stock car, the V8 rumble is pretty cool.

Inside, I found the car to hit the mark. I'm not much of an interior person, so my tastes are likely skewed, but the seating position was nice and low (i.e. feels like a sports car), and the gear box and steering wheel were perfectly placed. The steering wheel is nice and small and perfectly positioned for driving. Both the steering wheel and the gear box have a nice soft suede covering that has a great feel. The rear visibility was not nearly as bad as I thought, but then again my daily driver also has limited visibility.

In terms of driving, I was shocked how well the clutch and gearbox felt. Frankly, I was expecting a heavy clutch and a clunky gear box, but it was just the opposite. Honestly, the gear box was one of the best I've driven.

The steering feel was good, but not nearly as good as my Evo VIII. While I only drove the car in "Sport" mode, I wished the steering was quicker like the Evo (not sure if other driving modes offer quicker steering).

Overall, the car did not feel large or bulky like I expected. Its not like a Miata, but it isn't similar to a Chevy Impala either.

Power wise was hard to judge. I didn't get to take it on any roads where I could really let it rip (and I don't really want to beat on a brand new limited edition car). However, the power seemed good, but not overwhelming. Maybe it was the linear power band?

The rear seats were tiny and honestly I would never even attempt to put a child seat back there. Therefore, I could never use it for the family, but then again I usually take my SUV for those trips anyway.

Overall, if I was going to buy a new car, I think this would be it. Nothing in this price range, at least stock, comes close to it from a performance perspective. It will be a tough decision whether to buy the Camaro SS 1LE or go with an HTA 71 build on my Evo VIII
It's not a limited edition.

I'm feeling uneasy about my Evo X being an orphan, so who knows in the future. The 1LE would be my choice right now if I were to lose my mind and make a move in the next year or so.

Care to divulge the dealer?

Last edited by moparfan; Jan 17, 2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

MSRP is $45,965 for 1SS 1LE on my dealer's web site. MSRP for the 1LE package is $6,500 on top of a regular SS price. They offered me $43,500 before tax, title and license without any negotiation and said they'd go lower. I think I could easily get them down another $1,000 or so, but really haven't researched the pricing yet (it is a limited trim model).
Build it on here. You'll get accurate prices even if you don't qualify for the discount. The educator discount is equivalent to GM supplier discount and is likely a fairly good deal. You can add any other discounts on top on a GM Supplier/Educator discount.

https://www.gmeducatordiscount.com/?...gIAw&gclsrc=ds
Old Jan 17, 2017, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

When I first went looking and ended up with the Evo X, I really wanted a new Mustang GT. At least the Ford dealers I went to, I couldn't even get a normal GT for a price that was even close to reasonable.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

koons chevy in VA has 7 of them on the lot. Apparently selling for $39-40k.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Damnnnn....
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by moparfan
It's not a limited edition.

I'm feeling uneasy about my Evo X being an orphan, so who knows in the future. The 1LE would be my choice right now if I were to lose my mind and make a move in the next year or so.

Care to divulge the dealer?
Schumacher.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

It seems the stock block from what I read is good up to around 650 RWHP.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:54 AM
EvoM Guru

with headers and full exhaust, intake manifold, and a good cam, the car will pick up 100whp and have traction issues as it is. No reason to push it further unless building a drag car.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Does this apply to the 6th or earlier generations? I thought the latest generation puts power to the ground better?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Schumacher.
I had ID'ed them as a possible candidate! Nice.

Quick Reply: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE