Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

PWC cops and front plates.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PWC cops and front plates.

I realize there is another thread similar to this one but in this case the tags were clearly shown and not obscured. This is just to serve as a warning to other motorists. This is kinda a rant.

My friend and I were taking his car to the Honda Dealership in Woodbridge VA today to have some work done on his car. Just some recall stuff that hasn't been done and to have his front bumper license plate mount fixed. You see the privious owner of his Civic pulled out the old tags and in so doing ripped the plastic mount of the bumper making it impossible to fix a plate to it. My friend has been placing the tags on his rear bumper and the front one on his front dash. I assured him that this was legal, but to have the front bumper mount fixed asap.

Well on our way to the dealership my friend pulled up next to me. I was in my lancer and he was driving his car. He's been talking about how he wants to race me, but I didn't want to cause I knew that there were cops all up and down on the road, Cardinal for those of you in the area, and there is a po po station at the end of the road. So I just drove normally... my friend got the hint and we drove the speed limit, of this I am sure.

In fact there was a cop on motorcycle patrolling the road today. He was going up and down Cardinal using his radar gun. I wasn't afraid cause I was doing the speed limit. My friend got scared and turned into a housing development and called me on my cell. He tells me that the he can't afford another ticket and that he is just going to wait it out. I tell him that he has nothing to worry about and that if he just drives the speed limit he'll be fine. Well just as I tell him this this the cop comes up on my *** and almost runs me off the road, no lights or anything just hot ******* it around my car like he's on CHiPs or something.

So I convice my friend that it is cool and to just drive normally. He's got nothing to be afriad about. I get to the end of the road, my friend is nowhere in sight and I start to worry. I call him back and he tells me that the cop is right on his ***, but that he is taking my advice and driving the speed limit. I tell him that he'll be fine and the cop is most likely just checking to see if he has a loud muffler or something, which he doesn't cause it is a stock Civic EX.

I get off of the phone sure that he will be fine. I get to the dealership and wait about ten minutes and my friend is no where to be found. Turns out the cop pulled him over for nothing and did a once around on his car and then stated that he didn't properly mount his tags to his front bumper. What's more, my friend showed him his paperwork for the dealership and that he was gonig to have his plates mounted that morning and in fact he was on his way to do that. But still the ticket was issued.

While I still think that most cops are cool and that most are just doing their jobs, this particular cop did not know the law nor did he issue a righteous ticket. The law for those of you that don't know in the state of VA:

§ 46.2-716. How license plates fastened to vehicle; altering appearance of license plates.

A. Every license plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer to which it is assigned:

1. So as to prevent the plate from swinging,

2. In a position to be clearly visible, and

3. In a condition to be clearly legible.

B. No colored glass, colored plastic, or any other type of covering shall be placed, mounted, or installed on or over any license plate if such glass, plastic, or other type of covering in any way alters or obscures (i) the alpha-numeric information, (ii) the color of the license plate, (iii) the name or abbreviated name of the state wherein the vehicle is registered, or (iv) any character or characters, decal, stamp, or other device indicating the month or year in which the vehicle's registration expires. No insignia, emblems, or trailer hitches or couplings shall be mounted in such a way as to hide or obscure any portion of the license plate or render any portion of the license plate illegible.

C. The Superintendent may make such regulations as he may deem advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of the license plate on the vehicle.

I feel partially at fault. I should have told my friend to just take a different route to the dealership and not to proceed on that road. It is sad when cops become hazards themselves and they should be there to protect us and not harass us.

Shingen
Old Nov 11, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

More crap in this state. At least when I lived in Cali, you could do more than 80 and not go to jail... The cops actually have crimes to solve there.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

He can win this in court. He had the plate displayed on the front of the car, and it was visible.

There's nothing in the law that states it has to be attached to the front bumper.

And I don't think there's a judge out there that would push this ticket considering he was going to get the front bumper repaired.

Geez I hate cops sometimes.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

go to court wit theese bastards!!!!! i HATE HATE HATE cops that abuse their power. u will win that case man
Old Nov 11, 2003, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Those bastards just hating on us.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

I will tell my friend that he should contest this in court and if he wins to file a complaint with the police department against the officer that cited him. I might even place a complaint myself because as I was driving, before he pulled my friend over, he came up on my *** and almost hit my car. If I had hit my breaks I would have had a new life size cop bobble head in my car.

Shingen
Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Damn man everytime I used to get pulled for the plate I used the "just got the body-kit put on last week, shop told me was OK" deal, and they always let me go....I never once had to show paperwork, How old was your friend, I know Cops usually like to assert "power" over kids or anyone 20 and under...
Old Nov 12, 2003, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hittman
Damn man everytime I used to get pulled for the plate I used the "just got the body-kit put on last week, shop told me was OK" deal, and they always let me go....I never once had to show paperwork, How old was your friend, I know Cops usually like to assert "power" over kids or anyone 20 and under...
My friend is 18 and I think you are right. I think that this cop thought he could just get away with ticketing him and that my friend wouldn't fight. But I am sure my friend will fight this.

I'll even testify for him seeing as I was there for most of it.

Shinegn
Old Nov 12, 2003, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Go to court...ask the cop, under oath, why he stopped you. I would fight it...you'll probably get it dismissed...
Old Nov 12, 2003, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Cops in this state are the worst. They really have a hair up their asses for people driving import cars. I have been pulled over 3x now in my Evo....all for silly trumped up infractions.

But the reality is that these fines are rarely more than like $75 and 1 point on your liscense. If you want to fight them, you have to take the day off work to do it. So the opportunity cost to not pay the $75 is a days salary and a vacation day you can't use for vacation. I know I make way more than $75 a day. So I usually just have to cut my losses and pay the ticket.

SC~
Old Nov 19, 2003, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
[...]the reality is that these fines are rarely more than like $75 and 1 point on your liscense. If you want to fight them, you have to take the day off work to do it. So the opportunity cost to not pay the $75 is a days salary and a vacation day you can't use for vacation. I know I make way more than $75 a day. So I usually just have to cut my losses and pay the ticket.

SC~
The real cost is not the ticket, it's the increase in your insurance premiums if you haven't been ticketed in a few years. A lot of Evo drivers are already getting jacked for their rates, but some of us have managed to avoid tickets and accidents and have low rates I got screwed over in court last week, but that won't stop me from going to court for any ticket I think I have a chance against.

Lac