Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Got an "ordinance violation" for a modified muffler in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got an "ordinance violation" for a modified muffler in Chicago

So I'm coming home from work, in traffic, putting away 25-30MPH, in 4th, talking on the phone (thought a headset), cop gets next to me on the median, pulls me over. Says I can not have a loud muffler like this, takes my license and proof of insurance, comes back in 5min with a "ordinance violation" for a modified muffler Are they for real, what is this country coming to? My car is a 1/4 the decibel level of a frikin Harley, yet those come loud like that from the factory.

This is what it says.

"Drove an 06 bla bla bla with license plate number bla bla bla, with muffler exhaust system made to be louder than original."

Any body know the rules on this? Is there a certain decibel that you need to stay under, or is changing your muffler from stock illegal now days, this is unbelievable.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:58 PM

My girlfriend got the same ticket in the burbs of Chicago. Went to court and ordered to pay it.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Thats why i have Florida plates
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

do you have the stock muffler on the car?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

what the hell are you doing in 4th gear doing 25-30mph?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Is changing your exhaust illegal?

If you look up vehicle legislation in regards to exhuast on the US Senate website they basically say that no exhaust can be MODIFIED with a cut off or disabling emissions control. The key word is MODIFIED. You can try to explain that you installed a "replacement" exhaust.

Where replacement is defined as "the act of furnishing an equivalent person or thing in the place of another equal" which we do. A cat for a cat(although bigger), piping for piping(although bigger), resonator for resonator(you get the idea).

The definition of Modify: make less severe or harsh or extreme; "please modify this letter to make it more polite" or in an exhaust case remove cat or install a bypass.

Any body know the rules on this? Is there a certain decibel that you need to stay under,...

In New York city cops are always profiling evos, sti's etc...and hand out tickets for 24-227 unreasonable noise. What they don't know or care to know is that in the same noise code there is a set decibel level for cars travelling above 35mph and below 35mph AND that a violation of this decibel level is determined by measuring with a sound measuring device 50 feet behind the car in line with it's center.

You are basically at the will of an officer. But at least if you go to court with a copy of the noise ordinance you are better prepared to beat the ticket. Honestly the judge didn't even believe that the noise ordinance was that specific. If it helps google the noise ordiance number with your state and you may be able to find your city's noise code. FYI- In NYC the noise code is drawn up by the Dept. of Environmental Protection (DEP).
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just mailed my "inadequate exhaust" ticket in to court w/ a "not guilty" plea (Perrin down pipe, Perrin hi-flo cat, Borla cat-back - all new, all in perfect condition). This crap is only going to get worse. If you're interested in doing something to stand up for enthusiast rights, visit http://www.semasan.com and join. It's free.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

About half of my tickets over the years were for this "violation".
Cops totally take advantage of this, and totally misinterpret the law, knowing that most people arent going to fight it, because you dont get any points with it and its not too expensive. I dont understand the logic that harleys are allowed to be deafeningly loud at any speed, but god forbid we change our exhaust even if it still meets emissions regulations and is below 95db.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Johnny6er
I dont understand the logic that harleys are allowed to be deafeningly loud at any speed, but god forbid we change our exhaust even if it still meets emissions regulations and is below 95db.
Amen to that!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

I recently got a ticket for "illegal" exhaust in Chatham, NJ. I was dressed in slacks, and a nice button with a jacket on the back-seat, yet the officer approached me so slowly, and carefully and always had his hand on his gun, I have been pulled over a couple of times but I guess this officer thought I had a cache load of ak-47s under my seat or a couple cases of beer.

This is the first time I have ever received an exhaust violation and I have had a TBE for about a year now. I drive through suburbia and have passed about 2-3 a day for the last year and have never been pulled over for it until recently.

I guess the police officer had a quota to fill for April. Time for me to get a greddy ti and use the highway I guess.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatguy
I recently got a ticket for "illegal" exhaust in Chatham, NJ. I was dressed in slacks, and a nice button with a jacket on the back-seat, yet the officer approached me so slowly, and carefully and always had his hand on his gun, I have been pulled over a couple of times but I guess this officer thought I had a cache load of ak-47s under my seat or a couple cases of beer.

This is the first time I have ever received an exhaust violation and I have had a TBE for about a year now. I drive through suburbia and have passed about 2-3 a day for the last year and have never been pulled over for it until recently.

I guess the police officer had a quota to fill for April. Time for me to get a greddy ti and use the highway I guess.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

The legallity of the exhaust depends on where you live and the local or state laws. It differs depending on where you live. I think the legal noise limit is usually somewhere around 95 db. You should definitely look into what your local laws on this are and try to fight it if you can. Good luck!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Thats why i have Florida plates
That's why I live in Florida.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

I use to live in North Side Chicago. Winter got too cold for me, and the pot holes don't help either
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

inslowoutfast thats a good point.

I need to find Chicago's law, if it says that modifying, and not replacing is illegal, I should have them.

EJEvo I joined.

This totally doesn't make sense to me

Quick Reply: Got an "ordinance violation" for a modified muffler in Chicago