Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Illinois Window Tinting Laws

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Illinois Window Tinting Laws

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...ionID=76&GA=96

Moderator "Brian" kindly pointed out "Boo Hoo you broke the law" in my last thread and closed it so I could not provide this update in that thread. If Brian is kind enough to reopen the other one and add this update than great, please delete this thread.

I sent an email to the East Dundee Polic Department about my $75 ticket on Friday. They responded and agreed that the law has changed and that not all officers are aware of it. I will be meeting them next week to walk over my car to discuss what is legal and what is not so that I can be sure not find myself in this situation any longer.

Clearly we have a disconnect between recent 2010 IL tinting laws and officer enforecement of the new vs. old laws. Sounds like my ticket will be going away.

And I probably misrepresented myself in the last thread. I was very cordial and polite to the office through all of the questioning until he said I will be citing you for "front passenger window tint" When I was pulled over that window was down. So he essentially pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for something that was not even visible during when I passed him. The fact that I was profiled is what angered me. Still no excuse for getting lippy but I was agitated.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

The law had changed as of 10/31/09. The current law states that for a regular passenger vehicle you are able to have 35% tint all the way around (except for windshield), 50% in front with 5% rear, and there is a +/- 5% variance on all of those.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Correct. My front passenger window tint, which I was cited for is so light you can barely tell it is even tinted. My front drivers side window is not tinted at all. The back windows are fairly dark.

I was cited for "front passenger window tint" - nothing about the darkness, just the fact that it was tinted at all.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by asubennett
Correct. My front passenger window tint, which I was cited for is so light you can barely tell it is even tinted. My front drivers side window is not tinted at all. The back windows are fairly dark.

I was cited for "front passenger window tint" - nothing about the darkness, just the fact that it was tinted at all.
Were you cited by an actual law enforcement agent, or by parking, etc.?

There have been a lot of problems with that. Also, some cities, such as Chicago, may have different ordinances. A city ordinance in that case, is actually more "powerful" than an illinois state statute. Therefore, if they say that any window tint is illegal in the city, you are not able to have window tint. To me, that is a joke.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:41 AM

You got a nice ride aftershock. Loud as hell on the dyno!
Old May 9, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Were you cited by an actual law enforcement agent, or by parking, etc.?

There have been a lot of problems with that. Also, some cities, such as Chicago, may have different ordinances. A city ordinance in that case, is actually more "powerful" than an illinois state statute. Therefore, if they say that any window tint is illegal in the city, you are not able to have window tint. To me, that is a joke.
It was an East Dundee Police Officer.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by doibugu2
You got a nice ride aftershock. Loud as hell on the dyno!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by asubennett
It was an East Dundee Police Officer.
Well, I'm not exactly sure where that is at, but you may want to check into city ordinances. If they don't have any city ordinances against it, and you are in compliance with the current state statute, then you should not have received a ticket.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This just aired this past week on NBC on Chicago's tint law.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-92929004.html
Old May 9, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lateflip773
This just aired this past week on NBC on Chicago's tint law.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-92929004.html
Exactly.
Old May 9, 2010, 02:16 PM

i enjoy the new tint laws although i have 5% all the way around i havn't benn hassled yet. as far as chicago goes if i have to go there i am taking my dd with no window tint which sucks but so does chicago when it comes to tint.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Jason -

After speaking with the Officer and reviewing the legislation which passed on 10/30/09, that inspection will not be necessary. The citation will be voided, and you can pick up your license at the P.D. Please let me know when you will come in to pick it up. Additionally, do you have any paperwork from the dealership, which identifies the percentage of tint on the windows?

Terry A. Mee, Chief of Police
East Dundee Police Department
120 Barrington Ave.
East Dundee, IL 60118
Office Phone: 847-428-4292
Fax Number: 847-426-2956
www.eastdundee.net
Old May 10, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to say that I visited with the East Dundee Police Cheif today in regards to the window tint law and what a class act he is.

He instructed me on a few things and we both agreed that I could have kept better composure with the officer. He also instructed that his officer could have potentially handled the situation on his end slightly better as well.

In the end, he sent me on my way with DL back in my possesion and the ticket removed from my record. I apologize to the officer for losing my cool and moving forward anyone who drives through East Dundee should not have a problem with window tint traffic stops as well.

Please make sure you do have your front plate displayed however.... I am working on that Chief Mee.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Glad this got sorted out. Chicago is next though.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:06 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, this is definitely not as easy everywhere.

I had about 15 emails with the ticketing officer in my case and the rest of the Aurora legal department explaining every facet of their misunderstanding of the law. I had my day in court, I brought in printouts of HB3325, HB4327, the "law update 2009/2010" document citing "INSTALL/REPAIR" the cyberdrive website, a cited conversation with the capitol office, and points all in favor of my case. The judge found me guilty because the text in HB4327 cited the same section and was effective most recently. He said the intent of the state is with the most recently enacted law.

It did not matter to the judge that representative Bassi was the person who introduced both bills was on the news 5 days before my court date (in the video above) as saying they were legal, nor that the bills were drafted at the same time quoting the existing text, nor that all ducmentation was in my favor explicitly allowing the level of tint that I had.

I will be filing an appeal, but I'm sure I won't get back my $175, or any of the days I've already taken off work (and will in the future).

Wrestling with a pig, you get dirty and they enjoy it (no thats not trying to call officers pigs, its because I'm paying them to go there via taxes, and paying with my lawyer fee, PDO, and time off to fight them). Amazing that the second largest city in Illinois' whole legal department cannot understand the law. Gotta feed the monkey.

EDIT: Oh, I had also brought in examples of other successful appeals, but they were of no use either.

Last edited by fostytou; May 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM.