evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > U.S. Regional & International Forums > US Regional Forums > Midwest Region
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
My Garage

Drives: 96530006

emarshal esm logic
Send a message via ICQ to logic Send a message via AIM to logic Send a message via MSN to logic Send a message via Yahoo to logic
No front plate in IL, 2011 edition

This died in the Rules committee last year, but there's already a bill working it's way through the Illinois General Assembly to get rid of the front license plate again:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstat...8&SessionID=84

One of the biggest changes is that they're proposing to shift all money saved to the State Police Operations Assistance Fund. There was an identical bill put forth by Rep. Chapin Rose that didn't have the language about savings going to SPOAF, but he just tabled it and signed on as a co-sponsor for this version.

(Personally, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of funneling the savings somewhere else; the state has an incredible level of debt, so the idea was to actually save money, right? Let SPOAF make the case for increased funding on their own. :P Plus, there doesn't appear to be any kind of cut-off here; how exactly do you determine the amount of savings after the first year or two? Politics, bah.)

----

Also, for people like me who tend to have non-functional cars hanging around, theres a bill in process to waive the delinquent registration renewal fee if the vehicle hasn't been running for two years or more:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstat...3&SessionID=84

Is it sad that I have a couple of cars that can take advantage of this right now?
Learning: Evo ECU Wiki

Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (9)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2011 Ralliart Sportback, and a bunch of German crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post
This died in the Rules committee last year, but there's already a bill working it's way through the Illinois General Assembly to get rid of the front license plate again:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstat...8&SessionID=84

One of the biggest changes is that they're proposing to shift all money saved to the State Police Operations Assistance Fund. There was an identical bill put forth by Rep. Chapin Rose that didn't have the language about savings going to SPOAF, but he just tabled it and signed on as a co-sponsor for this version.

(Personally, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of funneling the savings somewhere else; the state has an incredible level of debt, so the idea was to actually save money, right? Let SPOAF make the case for increased funding on their own. :P Plus, there doesn't appear to be any kind of cut-off here; how exactly do you determine the amount of savings after the first year or two? Politics, bah.)

----

Also, for people like me who tend to have non-functional cars hanging around, theres a bill in process to waive the delinquent registration renewal fee if the vehicle hasn't been running for two years or more:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstat...3&SessionID=84

Is it sad that I have a couple of cars that can take advantage of this right now?
Huh, I thought the front license plate thing was enacted Jan. 1 of 2010. Honestly the last time I was hassled for no front plate was with my junk 1G.

as far as the derelict cars thing... this past weekend, I increased my "% of cars running" from 50% to 66% by selling 1 of my 4 cars. I was at only 25% in January.

These figures exclude wife's car, and Jon's 2 Evos (one of which is down for the count).

You still @ Fermilab, logic?

Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (39)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: '07 BMW 328xi, '03 BBY Evo 8 (Sold)

Hopefully this passes. I haven't had to pay a ticket for it yet but I did get pulled over and got a warning for it last year. Fortunately, I don't get hasseled by the cops in my area too much for my car cuz I'm really trying to avoid marring my front bumper with a license plate bracket.

The other thing about IL that doesn't make any sense to me is that it's OK to only have 1 plate if it's a temporary but when you get the real plates they want you to use two Clearly the rule isn't that big of a deal if they can't bother to keep it consistent.

WWW.STRICTLYMODIFIED.NET

Last edited by Ian0611; Feb 23, 2011 at 09:01 AM.

Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Personal Sales Rating: (31)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Drives: EBP Evo IX

Evokidix
Out here in Cali, my friend has his front license plate on the correct way with the factory bracket and they still hassled him saying "BY LAW" it has to be in the center of the front bumper lol. What a load of crap!! Seems like they have nothing else better to do

Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Evolved Member
My Garage

Drives: 96530006

emarshal esm logic
Send a message via ICQ to logic Send a message via AIM to logic Send a message via MSN to logic Send a message via Yahoo to logic
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekste View Post
Huh, I thought the front license plate thing was enacted Jan. 1 of 2010.
You might be thinking of the new tint law; people still seem to be having trouble with that (local law enforcement not getting the memo, local prosecutors saying "state law doesn't apply to us! home rule!", etc).

Quote:
Honestly the last time I was hassled for no front plate was with my junk 1G.
Funny thing, the last time I had a problem with not having a front plate was with my wife's 1g (which has two broken bolts where the plate frame attaches ). The Evo has always had a front plate, so no loss for me, but I know folks here were interested in last year's law. This version might have a better chance of success, despite being (IMHO) a pretty bad compromise for a state that's out of money.

Quote:
You still @ Fermilab, logic?
Yep, but it remains to be seen how much longer I'll be there. Apparently, DoE and the Office of Science have a large target painted on them by the newly-elected congress.
Learning: Evo ECU Wiki

Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:22 AM   #6
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (44)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 06 Evo IX SSL, 2013 Camry SE, 2004 4runner Sport

Anthony Vanderberg tsidrift1
I always have heard its for viewing reasons, why we have to run a front plate. Supoosedly its for cops to be able spot your vehicle easier.

If thats the case, why are the motorcycle plates so small, and you only have to run a rear plate!

I had never been bothered by it, till last year, I got pulled over 3 times and a warning for no front plate in my 1g. All of them were state cops or county sheriffs. The local pd doesnt give a crap.
06 Evo 9 SSL, BR 2.3L, HTA86, Exedy Triple, FIC 2150s,BR double pumper, BR exhaust, ARP L19 headstuds, BR Ported Mani, MilSpec 65MM TB, Omni 4bar, Speed Density, GSC S2 cams, Beehive springs, ETS intercooler, Ets licp,STM uicp, Tial 50mm, Grimmspeed EBS, SpoolinUp COP, Aem WB, Boost, Oil Press. gauges, BC coilovers

DevinTuned-Dual e85 maps
584/513@34psi
627/536@37psi......more to come eventually

TB 05 evo 8-SOLD
WW 03 evo 8-SOLD
ww 10 Evo 10-SOLD
EB 06 evo 9-current

Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (39)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: '07 BMW 328xi, '03 BBY Evo 8 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsidrift1 View Post
I always have heard its for viewing reasons, why we have to run a front plate. Supoosedly its for cops to be able spot your vehicle easier.

If thats the case, why are the motorcycle plates so small, and you only have to run a rear plate!

I had never been bothered by it, till last year, I got pulled over 3 times and a warning for no front plate in my 1g. All of them were state cops or county sheriffs. The local pd doesnt give a crap.
Same here. The only time I got hassled about it was from a state cop.

WWW.STRICTLYMODIFIED.NET

Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: EVO 9 MR

Well, once I got pulled over for speeding and loud exhaust in my honda. Since he wasn't able to clock me, he let me go on that but got me on loud exhaust, tints, and no front plates even though I had front plates. I kindly asked why and he said it was because it was recessed in a bit so it was not viewable. Huh? It's the same like trying to view car plates from the opposite corner where it's being mounted. Long story short, cop decides to impound my car. Had to pay over $300 in fines as well as damages to the car from the flatbed too. Like others have mentioned, it all depends on the cop and how he/she feels.

Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer

Drives: 2010 Lancer Ralliart

If we dont have to have front plates in illinois im gonna be pissed cause thats the only reason i got it so i wouldnt get pulled over every single time, funny thing is i did get pulled over for my front plate and the cop didnt see it, dumbass

Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Drives: EVO VIII

I haven't had a front license plate since I bought the car brand new in 2005.....and not one ticket.

Ricky Bobby: From now on, you're the Magic Man and I'm El Diablo.
Cal Naughton, Jr.: What does Diablo mean?
Ricky Bobby: It's like... Spanish for like a fighting chicken.

Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:38 AM   #11
Evolving Member
2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Drives: 2011 lancer ralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo79 View Post
I haven't had a front license plate since I bought the car brand new in 2005.....and not one ticket.
living on a farm with 50 acres of land and your nearest neighbor is 5 miles away DOES NOT COUNT!!!. JK

Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:46 PM   #12
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer

Drives: 2010 Lancer Ralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo79 View Post
then you must be lucky. I have the evo x front plate and the cop STILL pulled me over cause she didnt see it. Im like its right here and shes like oh nvm then

Ultimate Racing Intake
Ultimate Racing Turboback exhaust
Ultimate Racing LICP & UICP
Evo X FMIC
AMS BOV
Grimmspeed ECBS
STANCE GR+ Coilovers

Check out my build thread! :]
http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-rall...ld-thread.html

Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:09 AM   #13
Evolving Member

Drives: EVO VIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmitsuowner View Post
living on a farm with 50 acres of land and your nearest neighbor is 5 miles away DOES NOT COUNT!!!. JK
I live in downtown Chicago!.....oh I haven't updated my profile lol.

Ricky Bobby: From now on, you're the Magic Man and I'm El Diablo.
Cal Naughton, Jr.: What does Diablo mean?
Ricky Bobby: It's like... Spanish for like a fighting chicken.

Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:34 AM   #14
EvoM Moderator
Personal Sales Rating: (24)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: IX

i heard its so the radar/laser can bounce off of something accurately

Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:33 AM   #15
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (44)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 06 Evo IX SSL, 2013 Camry SE, 2004 4runner Sport

Anthony Vanderberg tsidrift1
So....any news about this? I have heard it was denied....again!

My g/f just got her x se, i dont want to drill holes in the front for the plate bracket and then find out the law is taken away! lol
06 Evo 9 SSL, BR 2.3L, HTA86, Exedy Triple, FIC 2150s,BR double pumper, BR exhaust, ARP L19 headstuds, BR Ported Mani, MilSpec 65MM TB, Omni 4bar, Speed Density, GSC S2 cams, Beehive springs, ETS intercooler, Ets licp,STM uicp, Tial 50mm, Grimmspeed EBS, SpoolinUp COP, Aem WB, Boost, Oil Press. gauges, BC coilovers

DevinTuned-Dual e85 maps
584/513@34psi
627/536@37psi......more to come eventually

TB 05 evo 8-SOLD
WW 03 evo 8-SOLD
ww 10 Evo 10-SOLD
EB 06 evo 9-current

Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:33 AM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1g, 2011, bumper, front, il, illinois, law, licence, license, ohio, plate, plates, rid, rules, state