Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Good dealer in Chicagoland area for airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good dealer in Chicagoland area for airbag recall

Title says it all, I am looking for suggestions on which dealership to go to for my airbag recall. ('05 Evo) The idea of giving my car to the dealer and having a less than experienced tech tear my dash apart concerns me. I want to make sure I have the best people working on it; with only 34,000 miles on the car it still is brand new inside and out.

Would APM possibly be able to do the work? I have read good things about them, and I would feel better with Evo experts working on my car.

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had Biggers Mitsu worked on mine. They will charge you labor for aftermarket stuff like boost gauge unless you uninstall them yourself. They did a pretty clean job on mine.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat and I'm glad that this topic has come up (unfortunately, this forum doesn't seem to get much traffic anymore).

I'd like to just take the dash off myself because my car is one of the few stock cars left under 25k miles and I'd like the recall work not to inflict damage on the vehicle (quite a few people have reported scratches left on the panels and seemingly improperly fitted parts). I've gone to Max Madsen for service in the past, but I have a hard time going back after they overfilled my car by quite a bit after a (semi-recent) simple oil change.

Last edited by stealthgray; Jun 3, 2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Still haven't done the recall due to the same reason.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:21 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
If anyone is in the area... Glenview Mitsubishi.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by .M.
If anyone is in the area... Glenview Mitsubishi.
I dropped by Glenview to have them take out some oil after the overfill issue I had. I have to say I was a little disheartened when they were surprised to see the temperature sender cable coming from the oil pan plug (which is a stock Evo IX MR thing). They did however, achieve the proper oil fill level in the car.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to follow up on this for everyone in the Chicagoland area, in case they need their airbag recall done.

After talking with a service consultant for some time, I decided to take the leap. I went to Max Madsen in Aurora. My car is stock, but has gauges where the radio was originally (42 draft kit), and the radio is relocated to the lower cubby. Rather than risk issues with the wiring (even thought I ran it cleanly), I took the gauges out as well as the radio. I also removed the glove box and kept the center dash panel off to simplify the whole procedure.

I dropped my car off, and they drove me back home. A few hours later, I got a call the work was done and they picked me back up. I got back to the dealership, and was relieved to see my car was parked far away from any other service traffic, and there were ZERO indicators that they had replaced the airbag. No scratches, no scuffs, no dirt, nothing. As someone who has had an Evo for 11 years, I know how prone the interior materials are to scraps and wear.

So basically, if you need to do your airbag recall, go to Max Madsen in Aurora. The consultant I worked with:

Ron Zaranko
ronz@maxmadsen.com
630-723-0400

I am sure he will remember me, the guy with the 34,000 mile blue Evo. Again, I am amazed how good of a job they did, and how stress free the whole process was. (because I was worried after seeing some of the hack jobs others have suffered through)