Notices

SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:18 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I bet you they covered it. I'm having a hard time deciding between the MR and GSR. I hear about the clutch problems, but I also want a sunroof on the MR touring package.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:08 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
I bet you they covered it. I'm having a hard time deciding between the MR and GSR. I hear about the clutch problems, but I also want a sunroof on the MR touring package.
I hope they did, but we all know how Mitsu dealers can be when it comes to warranty

Off topic, but if you're deciding between the GSR and MR ask yourself this. Do you absolutely, positively have to have a clutch pedal and row your own gears to be happy? If you do, get the GSR. If you aren't sure, get the GSR. If you're sure you are fine without, get the MR.

I made that mistake. Got rid of my Evo IX for the new R32 with DSG. Thought the DSG was great. And then the novelty of it wore off after about 3 months. Then I hated driving the car and missed a real manual tranny. Got rid of the R32 for the Evo X. Now I'm a happy man
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to make u guys wait, yes it was all covered under warranty, no problems.

I highly advise those of you w/ the SST transmission to stay away from modding the car for now, unless you have a fatty bank account and can pay all your own repairs.

Look at me, I haven't modded, and my SST transmission went out w/ approx 5k miles of daily driving use. I was planning to get coilovers and a drop-in filter, im not even going to do that anymore.

I think you should be ok with warranty service w/ Mitsubishi, as long as you don't mod your car, and as long as you do all the services at the dealer/stealer ship.

I don't care what anybody says, I love but nobody is going to sell me on the SST. The SST is an unproven transmission and if the TCU, inside sensor, blah di blah fails, they preety much have to replace the full "Made in Germany" transmission and I don't even know how much that costs, neither do I want to know. All I know is that I had to get mine replaced @ 5k miles of regular daily use.

I don't care if its the transmission mechanically, or the sensor, or whatever, if they have to replace the transmission, they have to replace the transmission : It is a major job. Not to be taken lightly.

Peace out.

Originally Posted by adambl03
I hope they did, but we all know how Mitsu dealers can be when it comes to warranty

Off topic, but if you're deciding between the GSR and MR ask yourself this. Do you absolutely, positively have to have a clutch pedal and row your own gears to be happy? If you do, get the GSR. If you aren't sure, get the GSR. If you're sure you are fine without, get the MR.

I made that mistake. Got rid of my Evo IX for the new R32 with DSG. Thought the DSG was great. And then the novelty of it wore off after about 3 months. Then I hated driving the car and missed a real manual tranny. Got rid of the R32 for the Evo X. Now I'm a happy man
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

My trans went... Blew the trans.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

Serious? I'm starting to lean towards a GSR again. Screw the sunroof on the 2010 MR.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by alphawav
Look at me, I haven't modded, and my SST transmission went out w/ approx 5k miles of daily driving use. I was planning to get coilovers and a drop-in filter, im not even going to do that anymore.
Did you track or auto-cross your Evo at all in that time?

I ask because my stock Evo X MR (3 months old, just under 4000km) had a transmission failure yesterday. It's been to the track once and covered 6 or 7 laps (roughly 20km on the track).

This is the first transmission problem, but the 4th problem overall. It's turning out to be the most problematic new car I've owned.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
what happened to your sst??please explain more
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Well I have got 12k on mine. Don't have much on the car but I haven't experienced any troubles or funks.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
what happened to your sst??please explain more
I was driving to the local shops in 'Normal - Auto' mode and as I accelerated up a hill there was a bang and the car lurched a bit. The gearbox shifted from 5th to 2nd, the instrument cluster flashed orange and (I think) it said Service Transmission, and an engine light appeared on the cluster. After that, the car refused to select 1st, 3rd and 5th.

I pulled over, switched the car off, waited a few minutes then switched it back on. Car drove normally for about 1km then 'Service Transmission' flashed on the cluster again. After the message, the car wouldn't select 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Both times the failure occurred, the gearbox went from full auto mode to manual mode.

Drove the car home and that's where it sits now. It's being towed to the dealer tomorrow morning. Will update when I know more!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

I am so happy I went with my instinct and got the GSR. I love the SST and the technology behind it but it doesn't appear totally ready for a production car in my opinion.

I feel bad for the MR guys who are having issues. Good luck and I hope Mitsu come to the party and help out.

SST is awesome when its working, but I couldn't risk having my tranny break and not being covered because I love to mod my cars.

Please keep us all informed how it turns out. Regards.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:12 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by weap0n
I am so happy I went with my instinct and got the GSR. I love the SST and the technology behind it but it doesn't appear totally ready for a production car in my opinion.

I feel bad for the MR guys who are having issues. Good luck and I hope Mitsu come to the party and help out.

SST is awesome when its working, but I couldn't risk having my tranny break and not being covered because I love to mod my cars.

There are many many owners on these boards that haven't had any issues. This is only the third issue I've heard about. It seems each documented issue was with the logic board :-/
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bob808
I was driving to the local shops in 'Normal - Auto' mode and as I accelerated up a hill there was a bang and the car lurched a bit. The gearbox shifted from 5th to 2nd, the instrument cluster flashed orange and (I think) it said Service Transmission, and an engine light appeared on the cluster. After that, the car refused to select 1st, 3rd and 5th.

I pulled over, switched the car off, waited a few minutes then switched it back on. Car drove normally for about 1km then 'Service Transmission' flashed on the cluster again. After the message, the car wouldn't select 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Both times the failure occurred, the gearbox went from full auto mode to manual mode.

Drove the car home and that's where it sits now. It's being towed to the dealer tomorrow morning. Will update when I know more!
BANG ???? Popped a hose maybe .. thats the same symtoms we experienced when the MAF sensor broke .. only have 2/4/6 gears .. everytime it selected a gear the rpm would rev about 1-2000 higher and then engage .. just like slippage

If ANYONE is going to break any transmision because of mods .. its probably going to be me or a friend of mine .. autocross almost every month, torque is in excess of 350wftlbs (whatever 550wNM equates to) at peak .. and thats also one of the reason we got the SSP clutchpacks as standby

Other than that .. I'll say most of the issues have probably nothing to do with the gearbox anyways .. of that I am very confident .. having seen 2 sensors broke, 3 mistunes, 1 misuse (wrong oil into the gearbox) .. oh not to mention my own horrible shftshock gearbox (self induced testig the SST maps)
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weap0n

You must not be paying attention to the threads about pins breaking off inside the transfer of the 5spd. You can almost bet your last dollar it's going to happen to alot of us GSR owners. Only a matter of time
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bob808

That's exactly what happened to me. I was going up hill and the transmission made a weird sound, went into manual mode and I lost 5th gear. This was daily driving on a Thursday on the Freeway. The transmission then "overheated" about 30 seconds later and went into "limp mode" and left me stranded on the freeway. I daily drive my car, I don't offroad it or anything. But I daily drive it spiritedly.

I appreciate the praise for the SST in the Ralliart (and EVO MR) here on this thread I don't know if Mitsu pays you guys or if you are just "Fanboys"

I can't speak for the EVO MR but I can say that the Ralliart's SST is questionable to say the least and with a few more cases of this I sincerely hope that the DOT and the US Goverment get involved. Since I did send a letter to Mitsubishi about my problems and I received no reply whatsoever. That doesnt make me happy @ all.

As for the guy in Australia, and others, I invite you guys to send a letter with your experience and also a cc: to your government agency that is in charge of cars.

Now I have 12k miles (6k miles on the new tranny) and so far everything is good, a few funky clunks here and there but nothing serious.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alphawav
I appreciate the praise for the SST in the Ralliart (and EVO MR) here on this thread I don't know if Mitsu pays you guys or if you are just "Fanboys"
Man, a comment like that only adds fire to an argument that is never ending. Personally I love the trans and haven't even had a hiccup. Sorry this happened to you. But it happened to you and a hand full of others; which IMO isn't enough to cry chaos and horror.

Quick Reply: SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !