Notices

SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !

Hi -

I thought we should centralize all the SST Transmission failures in this thread. Lets try to keep a format to it.

Model : (RA or MR) Milage : (miles when tranny broke) Comments: (any additonal info)

I guess I will start it.

1) 2009 Ralliart Milage : 5600 Comments : Tranny broke under regular driving conditions. clutches started slipping in all gears.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by alphawav
Hi -

I thought we should centralize all the SST Transmission failures in this thread. Lets try to keep a format to it.

Model : (RA or MR) Milage : (miles when tranny broke) Comments: (any additonal info)

I guess I will start it.

1) 2009 Ralliart Milage : 5600 Comments : Tranny broke under regular driving conditions. clutches started slipping in all gears.

How about you post what the dealer did to fix it as well. as we have read a few people have initially said SST clutches slipping or blown tranny only to have other causes that simply made the tranny give errors.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StevieC
How about you post what the dealer did to fix it as well. as we have read a few people have initially said SST clutches slipping or blown tranny only to have other causes that simply made the tranny give errors.
that sounds like a good idea, to post what the dealer did to fix it.

But I don't understand the second part. can you explain yourself more? whats exactly "other causes that simply made the tranny give errors"? explain...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:46 AM

that sounds like a good idea, to post what the dealer did to fix it.

But I don't understand the second part. can you explain yourself more? whats
exactly "other causes that simply made the tranny give errors"? explain...

Some samples, may or may not be your issue-:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...-trans-go.html

from another forum-:
"I posted a while ago regarding the 1st known transmission issue ..

Well .. found the problem

Surprisingly .. it wasn't the gearbox that broke ..

We pulled another code that had P0123 (or something) that said MAS/VAF sensor low voltage .. and P1890 (transmission slipping)

The MAS was the actual culprit that caused the issue !!

Sensor was replaced and the car is now back to normal .. no sign of slippage at all or any issue with the gearbox ..

now I have a slightly better understanding of the ECU and what each of the unknown maps do

Guess its not as fragile as we thought .. for now .."

Last edited by StevieC; Jul 21, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You've also got to list mods put on the vehicle (if any). If the tranny truly does fail, it is likely due to the engine torque exceeding the maximum amount the tranny can handle (350lb-ft at the crank on the MR).
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
You've also got to list mods put on the vehicle (if any). If the tranny truly does fail, it is likely due to the engine torque exceeding the maximum amount the tranny can handle (350lb-ft at the crank on the MR).
my tranny failed and I have had absolutely NO MODS. Not even a drop-in air filter. NOTHING.
oh well, I guess I will keep everyone posted, seems I'm the first or something.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

my tranny failed and I have had absolutely NO MODS. Not even a drop-in air filter. NOTHING.
oh well, I guess I will keep everyone posted, seems I'm the first or something.
Damn. Sorry to heat that.

Are you sure the tranny actually failed? Some guys have had issues with the MAF and it causing weird behavior from the SST.

At least you don't have any mods...you can still get it covered under warranty. Is it at the dealership?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

ok. I got my car back today.

Yes, it seems the tranny failed, or well at least from the talk I had from service dept. they all think that it was the TCU inside the tranny that failed. Either way, the entire transmission had to be changed. It was *not* any issues with the MAF. (not in my case)

Of course, nobody knows if it was the TCU inside the transmission, or if something mechanical failed, until they open up the transmission in Germany, right?

I wish I had more data about it but I guess we will all find out more soon...
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

ok. I got my car back today.

Yes, it seems the tranny failed, or well at least from the talk I had from service dept. they all think that it was the TCU inside the tranny that failed. Either way, the entire transmission had to be changed. It was *not* any issues with the MAF. (not in my case)

Of course, nobody knows if it was the TCU inside the transmission, or if something mechanical failed, until they open up the transmission in Germany, right?

I wish I had more data about it but I guess we will all find out more soon...
I can only say the guys from mitsubishi probably know less about the gearbox than some of us here now ..

I can also probably bet that of the 10 gearboxes they change, only 1 or 2 has actual problems .. Every one of the others probably has some sort of sensor failures or bad tunes..
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Man I wish I got the MR instead of the GSR!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
I can only say the guys from mitsubishi probably know less about the gearbox than some of us here now ..

I can also probably bet that of the 10 gearboxes they change, only 1 or 2 has actual problems .. Every one of the others probably has some sort of sensor failures or bad tunes..
you mean, a bad tune from the factory? because mine was stock... 100% stock.

also, if its a sensor failure, and the sensor is inside the transmission, and not changeable or serviceable, that is still considered transmission failure. It is still an "actual problem".

I don't think anything other than a flight to Germany w/ the right people would yield a real answer to our questions.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by D420mac
Man I wish I got the MR instead of the GSR!
Yeah, all the SST Tranny problems in this thread must just make you want to jump into an MR......
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

it's just BS there are way more posts about people comlplaining about the GSR 5spd Clutch. I'll be replacing the one in my X soon. I'd rebuild SST anyways , as soon as the parts are availablefor a high hp application. I have a CVT tranny in my Outlander with the paddle shifts, but it's still an auto I'd prefer the auto manual, the consistancy is unrivaled. I've read lot's about people having problems with the GTR aswell, but as soon as the aftermarket parts are out the SST is going to be bad ***.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

you mean, a bad tune from the factory? because mine was stock... 100% stock.

also, if its a sensor failure, and the sensor is inside the transmission, and not changeable or serviceable, that is still considered transmission failure. It is still an "actual problem".

I don't think anything other than a flight to Germany w/ the right people would yield a real answer to our questions.
There are alot of sensors that interface to the gearbox .. including those from the engines .. even something as simple as a disconnected ground or lose connection will trigger all sorts of funny things ..

Like I said .. only 1 or 2 .. you may just be 1 of the lucky ones ..
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:10 AM
EvoM Community Team

covered by the warranty? or did they give you a hard time about it?

Quick Reply: SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !