Notices

Compiled List of all SST Oil Coolers

Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the general opinion on the Dodson Heated Sump cooler?
http://www.kozmicmotorsports.com/dod...-sump-kit.html

I'm driving a 2013 Evo X MR if that helps.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Valerie Strong
What's the general opinion on the Dodson Heated Sump cooler?
http://www.kozmicmotorsports.com/dod...-sump-kit.html

I'm driving a 2013 Evo X MR if that helps.

The Dodson Heated Sump system is fantastic for cars that are driven in the cooler parts of the world. It doesn't add any additional complexity or moving parts!

I went a different route for warming and used a mocal liquid/liquid heat exchanger, fan on the oem unit, and then added another SSP style front mount in series.

All the parts and how-to are provided here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...ler-build.html

~Jaraxle
Old Mar 7, 2019, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lbcevo
Revived old thread :-) Don't ditch that SSP pump. I finally achieved SST cooler success after much experimentation, with my own combo system. No overheating ever on 550 DJ WHP Evo X SE driving pretty fast laps at hot CA tracks (e.g. 1:58 at BW #13 CW, 1:50 at ACS ROVAL).

I have RREs big stock location replacement SST cooler with a big puller fan, and a second pumped circuit with 2 max length Setrab coolers side by side on crash beam, one max height and one shorter to allow air to radiator--tall one also has a puller fan. These coolers are fed by an RB Racing (made in USA) 2.6 GPM gear pump, and the second pumped circuit can be switched on manually (and both fans come on) or will come on automatically at 190 F with a Setrab thermo switch (for street). Fans on are 1 Setrab relay, pump is on 2nd Setrab relay. Has worked perfectly at 6+ hot CA events. Here is what I learned:
  • 3 coolers are much better than 2--requires pump
  • 2nd circuit with a high flow pump is better than 1 stock circuit with 2 coolers
  • Always switch the 2nd circuit on in pits so temps cannot spike--coolers struggle to counteract spikes in a hot session on twisty tracks and your trans will heat up fine on the track during a warm up lap
  • My CBRD radiator helps a lot--keeps coolant temp at 190 max
  • The big radiator/oil cooler combination keeps the engine cool, which helps keep the trans cool
  • The 2 coolers on crash beam do not prevent the CBRD radiator from working great
  • Setrab coolers are worth the extra $, big difference over same sized cheap coolers--I tested
Hi
Thanks for the info.

I have just installed the SSP titan trans cooler. Im worried about the lack of cool air getting to the snorkel on stock CAI. Will this cause problems such as running rich or losing power due to hot air from the cooler?

thanks