Notices

Shifting into reverse, sticky?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting into reverse, sticky?

hey guys anybody have difficulty shifting into reverse?

im NOT talking about the flashing R "problem"...

im talking about the stick actually needing a bit of force to move it into reverse. i step on the brake pedal firmly, pull up on the shifter collar, hold this position for maybe 2 seconds to ensure im not doing it too fast, then move the shifter down into reverse....

what i get is, i still need to kinda force it into reverse. not a lot of force but definitely not normal and it doesnt happen every single time. this mainly happens when i turn the car on. i dont think its a warm up issue because i've tested it where i drive around a bit, turn off engine, turn it back on and it happens.

is the shifter mechanically connected to the tranny? does shifting into reverse physically move shift forks and whatnot in the tranny? if not, then what is it that im feeling? does anybody else have this happen to them?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

i say, work the gears then try reverse... usually going to 5th then reverse works.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

this is on the SST. you have to pass Reverse to get out of Park so i happens with some regularity, but not exactly all the time...
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Are you parked on an incline? Sounds like pressure against the park stop mechanism. When parking on an incline, put the car into neutral, pull the e-brake, let off the brake pedal, then put the car in park. Then there's no pressure on the transmission.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

ya what WEB said !
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Webman
Are you parked on an incline? Sounds like pressure against the park stop mechanism. When parking on an incline, put the car into neutral, pull the e-brake, let off the brake pedal, then put the car in park. Then there's no pressure on the transmission.
no, it happens when i start the car up in my garage as well. though not as much as when i park outside i think... hmmm i'll hafta take notice better. thanks.

anybody else have this happen to them? hope its not just me...
Old Jul 13, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

u are not the only one...

I have this same issue aswell. I park on level ground and it feels just like the OP. IDK what the deal with that is, I'm going to a local shop to get some things checked out soon, I'll ask about that too.

Just out of curiosity, do you feel a slight brake pedal vibration when coming to a stop once the car is hot??
Old Jul 13, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. I never have any issues. But then again, I also have that habit of allowing the car to rest in neutral, before putting it into park.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mendo
u are not the only one...

I have this same issue aswell. I park on level ground and it feels just like the OP. IDK what the deal with that is, I'm going to a local shop to get some things checked out soon, I'll ask about that too.

Just out of curiosity, do you feel a slight brake pedal vibration when coming to a stop once the car is hot??
like a slow stop and you get vibration?

sometimes when i stop a little aggressively, i think i feel a vibration. it could just be the ABS but its not the same feel as all out ABS like during an emergency stop... i dunno if this is what you're talkin about...

i'll have to take notice of these things better...
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. I never have any issues. But then again, I also have that habit of allowing the car to rest in neutral, before putting it into park.
yeah thanks for the tip, i'll try this and see if it works for me.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:31 AM

All SST owners should know this.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Hey madfast, after checking my car out I would recommend you pull your undertray and see if your losing tranny fluid.

I was losing tranny fluid from a fitting with a bad O-ring and the fluid was slowly falling on the undertray, I never once saw tranny fluid on my garage floor or anything yet my undertray portion underneath the SST was covered...

Once MDR fixed that for me, we topped it off with fluid and now the shifting has gone back to normal.

GL Man!

P.S: The brake pedal vibration when stopping aggressively I've been told is normal. I was feeling a stronger vibration when stopping normally. This also seams to have faded away once we fixed my leak problem.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mendo
Hey madfast, after checking my car out I would recommend you pull your undertray and see if your losing tranny fluid.

I was losing tranny fluid from a fitting with a bad O-ring and the fluid was slowly falling on the undertray, I never once saw tranny fluid on my garage floor or anything yet my undertray portion underneath the SST was covered...

Once MDR fixed that for me, we topped it off with fluid and now the shifting has gone back to normal.

GL Man!

P.S: The brake pedal vibration when stopping aggressively I've been told is normal. I was feeling a stronger vibration when stopping normally. This also seams to have faded away once we fixed my leak problem.
Thanks for the tip, i'll make sure to check that out.