Notices

Getrag SST Exposed....Must read for X MR owners!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Getrag SST Exposed....Must read for X MR owners!!!!

We would like to share a little information that we have been documenting over the past year. We have had the opportunity to travel overseas and work on many SST transmissions. Several transmissions have sparked our interest. To date, we have documented 4 SST transmissions that have strange numbers hand engraved on the back of the clutch basket. We now know that this is a factory stamping. The factory clutch basket casing has a number stamped in it directly from Getrag. We believe that these are repair numbers, directly from Getrag...................

A brand new transmission does not have these numbers hand engraved on the back of the basket. What is even more curios, is that these hand engraved numbers have been documented in BRAND NEW cars. So the question is, How are these numbers being found in new vehicles.........well, we will let you decide.

Now the evidence............

More evidence.....I would say a clutch alignment tool was forgotten in the clutch basket. Yes, a factory clutch alignment tool was forgotten in a "Brand New" transmission, and it completely destroyed everything......WTF!!

Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:25 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess all brand new evo X MR are already broken in, like the Nissan GTR where all brand new GTR vehicles are broken in the the Nissan test track
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

^^^ These have ONLY been found in over seas units. Personally I'm completely disgusted by the evidence we have found. Not once....but this is on the fourth separate occasions we have seen this second set of numbers on a brand new car. Kris and I decided that it would no longer be appropriate for us to just sit on this information. That's like going to a shop and paying for a brand new turbo kit.....and then they sell/install you a used kit!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is some weird findings.. i hope you guys take it where ever it needs to go... cuz thats kinda f'ed
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

That is pretty messed up... could also explain why some MR's are Lemons so early on! Hopefully this leads somewhere useful for us all from a legal standpoint
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

no joke. do you think there would be a reason why they might do this. So I assume no likely US EVO would see this type of misuse of parts on a new vehicle? Interesting info. Glad you guys work on these transmissions.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:53 PM

it should be getrag's fault in providing used X MR trannies to mitsubishi? since it is a sealed unit, there is no way for mitsubishi to check what is inside?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
it should be getrag's fault in providing used X MR trannies to mitsubishi? since it is a sealed unit, there is no way for mitsubishi to check what is inside?
That's my question,

Who's the one who is actually pulling the sheisty work...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

So so far these "re-conditioned" clutch packs have NOT been found in North America? I could see them doing this if they were installing a re-conditioned transmission as a repair.... but on a brand new car this seems messed up.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP Jeremy
^^^ These have ONLY been found in over seas units. Personally I'm completely disgusted by the evidence we have found. Not once....but this is on the fourth separate occasions we have seen this second set of numbers on a brand new car. Kris and I decided that it would no longer be appropriate for us to just sit on this information. That's like going to a shop and paying for a brand new turbo kit.....and then they sell/install you a used kit!
I would immagine if Mitsubishi knows about this (I would be suprised if they didn't), they would try to keep these cars from going to the US, or even most west European markets, due to the consumer protection laws in those markets. However places like Jamaica, Dubai, and some other small markets, Mitsubishi and Getrag can pretty much do whatever they want.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:58 PM

SSP should get an official word from getrag or mitsubishi instead of posting it here?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crester
So so far these "re-conditioned" clutch packs have NOT been found in North America? I could see them doing this if they were installing a re-conditioned transmission as a repair.... but on a brand new car this seems messed up.
We just found the first US X MR with the hand engraved marking....

Name:  firstustrans1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.3 KB

Originally Posted by sblvro
SSP should get an official word from getrag or mitsubishi instead of posting it here?

We've tried....they will NOT talk to us AT ALL about ANY transmission related questions.

Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Jeremy, have you come across any Ralliarts with the hand engraving?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

go to the press or automotive magazines.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:40 PM

is the hand engraving a balancing value? degrees from center?

Quick Reply: Getrag SST Exposed....Must read for X MR owners!!!!