Notices

MR won't go into gear at all an has multiple cels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MR won't go into gear at all an has multiple cels

Hey guys just like it says. I recently got a 2010 MR an it has multiple check engine lights. My main problem is the transmission won't engage at all. Most of the cels deal with the abs/an transmission. I am just looking to see if anyone knows where I should start with. Thanks in advanced.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

I would start by posting the DTC Codes. What #'s are they?

-Bink
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would make sure you don't have any mods or a tune on it and take it to the dealer. With a 10 grand tranny you don't want to be stuck with a bad one and unable to have it replaced under warranty.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Also it sounds simple but check your battery voltage while running it might have enough juice to start but if its low the MR is designed to fail safe when the battery is low and the tranny not chaging gears is one also many cel lights, it happened to my MR and all it needed was a new battery.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

ok i will check the cels next time i get a chance. it is all stock and no tune so i am good there. but the owner said it had been sitting there for a while so the battery change is something to try.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

It's possible that it's the battery, but as long as it's stock, I would still take it in to get it checked up on. Didn't you test drive it before you paid them money?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:11 PM

I had something like this once with my MR. I got out of a movie (Fast Five), started the car, and put it into drive. Hitting the gas did nothing. Reverse wouldn't work either. I think I put it into park and back into drive and reverse; still nothing. The display said something like "Service Transmission" (I don't recall it saying "Slow Down" as well). I don't know if there were other CELs as I don't have a way to read them yet.

I got out, called a buddy to pick me up, and tried it one more time just to make sure. That time it worked. Much later I took it to the dealer (I have no mods) but they didn't really want to do much for me. They did say the transmission fluid was discolored and they were going to "check with Mitsubishi"... sounds like BS but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

No didnt drive it. Paid 15k for it salvaged with 2500 miles on it an some serious body damage.I know it has been sitting since feb or march. I only tried once but yea it is probably worth changing all the fluids an everything.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

well guys i havent got to check the codes but here are some of the cels: ABS serviced required, TPMS, ASC system, 4wd system and also the air bag. the body damage is on the drivers side so it makes me think it might have damaged the ecu since it under the seat. is there any kind of fail safe method if the air bag light is on?. i know just describing some of this stuff doesnt help to much but i like ppls opions and ideas.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

ttt
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Have you checked the battery yet, those are the same cels I had on mine.......
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jossue
Have you checked the battery yet, those are the same cels I had on mine.......
no i havent but man that makes me feel 70 percent better. like it did have run an drive on the window when i got it so it makes sense. also for you did it not shift or anything for you? like when i start it up it sounds so good but makes no sense to me how it doesnt go into gear.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Yup, same here it would not shift, and even if I got it to go into drive or reverse the display would just flash on and off but I wasn't going anywhere......I would take the battery off and take it to a shop who can load test it for you if not I know autozone tests batteties as well...
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I think I saw this one for sale a while back.. GL. hopefully it is just the battery.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

thanks a lot i will give it a try for sure. i am gonna guess yea it is in the battery then or ecu but i cant imagine for how it sounds that the whole thing is screwed up. it starts up and sounds fine. mostly body damage.

Quick Reply: MR won't go into gear at all an has multiple cels