Notices

Jacks Transmission upgrade, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacks Transmissions
It's very difficult to say. It all depends on how everything works in the test-mule first. Could be a month to 3 months before we know for sure. I don't want to add anything out there without full testing first.
Well I, like many others, can not wait to see what you have in store for us SST owners. And what you have been going thruand from what you are saying, makes me a really promising future customer. I was not looking forward to spending that much money on my build. But i am looking forward to the price drops and your future plans for us. You will have my business when the time comes. But for now, I'm going to wait to see what you have on the horizon. Thank youJack for some great stuff!!!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:11 AM

I hope this is the ultimate answer for MR owners
....hopefully affordable
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

It's pretty neat and this SST probably launches harder than any other DCT in existence, but it's just too harsh and will break other things in the car in time. We don't want that, but it's on the right track.

Jack
Launching harder than your built GT-Rs?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I think I missed it.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jcusco407

Lol that would be great, but probably not.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 04:18 PM
Gold Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jcusco407
Yes, but it was shock-loading the system too harshly.

Our SST test-mule is too slow to beat any of the GT-Rs we have serviced around here, but it would have out-launched any of them for the first split second. The GT-R LC5 launch software allows for smoother engagement so they don't break.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

but your evo cant do wheelies
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, but it was shock-loading the system too harshly.

Our SST test-mule is too slow to beat any of the GT-Rs we have serviced around here, but it would have out-launched any of them for the first split second. The GT-R LC5 launch software allows for smoother engagement so they don't break.
Daaaaaaaaaamn.
Hurry up with the testings! I can't wait!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Very interested!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:12 PM

Jack, not to thread jack again, but in another thread regarding SST fluids, (might have been the other forum) you were going to respond with additional comments about your fluid testing. I believe your statement was along the lines of the Mitsu Diaqueen SST fluid was the only fluid that allowed the trans to work correctly. Someone asked you to elaborate and talk to what other fluids you tried, and what exactly the results were, i.e. if the trans wasn't working properly, what was it doing? Can you elaborate, or have you already and I missed it?

Your new developments definitely sound exciting! Thanks for all your research and effort on the SST. I love mine, but it would be awesome if you improved it and made it a little more worry free!

Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:40 AM

i'm real excited for the race damper concept. i have no other way to put it but if anyone has ever driven a dct bmw i.e. 135 or 335is. for being a similar system made by getrag if my knowledge serves me correct it has a completely different feel. the downshifts are crisp and sounds just like a manual and upshifts have "good bite" for lack of a better adjective. i hope it will acheive something like that because once i got back into my car i felt like i was driven a conventional auto

good luck and cant wait to see what the future holds.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:49 PM
Gold Sponsor

Originally Posted by hotshot1
but your evo cant do wheelies
Oh, I didn't know you were referring to that one. I don't believe any EVO X will be able to launch like that I was referring to the 800-1000hp GT-R customers we have.

Originally Posted by Roger350
Jack, not to thread jack again, but in another thread regarding SST fluids, (might have been the other forum) you were going to respond with additional comments about your fluid testing. I believe your statement was along the lines of the Mitsu Diaqueen SST fluid was the only fluid that allowed the trans to work correctly. Someone asked you to elaborate and talk to what other fluids you tried, and what exactly the results were, i.e. if the trans wasn't working properly, what was it doing? Can you elaborate, or have you already and I missed it?

Your new developments definitely sound exciting! Thanks for all your research and effort on the SST. I love mine, but it would be awesome if you improved it and made it a little more worry free!

Thanks
Oops, sorry. Do you have a link? I always have so much going on that I forget about these things.

Originally Posted by i_drivecode3
i'm real excited for the race damper concept. i have no other way to put it but if anyone has ever driven a dct bmw i.e. 135 or 335is. for being a similar system made by getrag if my knowledge serves me correct it has a completely different feel. the downshifts are crisp and sounds just like a manual and upshifts have "good bite" for lack of a better adjective. i hope it will acheive something like that because once i got back into my car i felt like i was driven a conventional auto

good luck and cant wait to see what the future holds.
I feel your pain. It's such a cool concept but the sluggish shifting kills the enthusiast feel I like too.

Thanks again all!

Jack
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:41 PM

Sorry Jack, you're right I should have posted a link, so here it is. We all really appreciate your help, and can't wait to hear more about your developments.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...t-fluid-9.html

Originally Posted by thejoshster View Post

I hate making a thread more confusing, but in the interest of knowing the truth, I must.

I recently stumbled on an interesting blurb on Jacks Transmissions site:

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/co...st-trans-fluid

They are probably the only reliable authority on the SST right now as they perform rebuilds and upgrades that nobody else is able to do. They know this transmission inside and out.

On the link they talk about the owner of the company searching for his own replacement of the Diaqueen fluid, but never found a true replacement as all other fluids(Castrol, Ebay fluids, and Pentosin) did not allow the tranissmission "to operate as it should".

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible that our collective research is wrong and Mistsu is in fact adding something proprietary to the fluid that we think it is sourced or based on?

2. Can Jacks Transmissions come forward with what you found and clear up this messy subject? What specific fluids were tested and what behaviors changed? I think the entire community would benefit from the testing you have done. I will be in contact to request this info.

I currently am running ffl-2, but I am seriously reconsidering that decision.

Jack responded to my email. He is already working on a write up of what he found. He said he would post his results.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:24 PM

I never drove the BMW DCT, but I did drive the SMG's and also GTR.
there's people on the board talking about how great the SST is compared other high end DCTs.
is the upgrade suppose to improve shifting time and better downshifts??
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:01 AM
Gold Sponsor

Originally Posted by x MR
I never drove the BMW DCT, but I did drive the SMG's and also GTR.
there's people on the board talking about how great the SST is compared other high end DCTs.
is the upgrade suppose to improve shifting time and better downshifts??
It's always funny to see the complaints about how units shift from different vehicles. It just goes to show you that people always want something different.

The GR6 in the GT-R is a pretty clumsy trans and it has a hiccup with a shift every so often. GT-R owners complain about this and wish it were smoother, yet the SST is smooth and those owners wish it shifted more firmly. Also, the GT-R trans can only up and down-shift 1 gear at a time where the SST can skip gears to engage the one you want more quickly. I found this really sucks in the GT-R. I like to shift manually and if I run into a situation where I want to down-shift a couple of gears real quick, the GT-R can't do it as quickly as the SST. The GT-R has to shift into the next gear, engage it, then shift to the other. I suppose you just need to have the trans built the way you want.

With the GT-R, I have my own clutch design good for 1200hp which is working out to be a pretty amazing piece. On the street, it shifts like a factory stock car and is smooth and quiet. Once you get to the track and put everything in the R mode, the trans shifts very fast and firm and at factory oil pressures too! I can get the GT-R trans to chirp the tires during a shift with my clutch without increasing oil pressures or disrupting the comfort on the street. My goal is to do the same for the SST.

Here is a guy which has been kind enough to use his GT-R as a test-mule for us. His trans shifts like factory on the street, but shifts so fast and firm at the track that he gets a nice chirp out of it. If it shifts too firm, it's just a simple adjustment on his Cobb unit to make it shift smoother. Not a record breaking time, but you get the idea about the trans shifts.

In my test-mule SST, I just had a failure this weekend of a new part I was testing, but in the process I had a new clutch configuration which will increase reliability and performance. In NORMAL Mode the car shifted quickly and smoothly. In SPORT Mode it shifted more quickly and with more firmness. In S-SPORT Mode it shifted very firm and aggressive. You could feel a bit of a forward bump from the shift in S-SPORT Mode as it was shifting very quickly and with a lot of clamping pressure. It seemed like the perfect setup as far as the clutch is concerned. I had a synchro failure, so I need to take it apart again to figure out what happened and in the process I'll look at how the clutch is doing too and start working more on the damper.

I would like to give my new clutch design some more miles before I make it available, but I believe it will work very well and be something everyone would appreciate. I hope to make a complete basket clutch assembly available for exchange soon. How this would work is you ship us your clutch assembly, we rebuild it to our specs with our parts, then ship it back to you to install in your trans. I'll include easy to follow instructions and it should make things a lot more affordable for the DIYer.

I'll post if there are any new updates. Thanks again!

Jack

Last edited by Jacks Transmissions; Jul 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Jacks Transmission upgrade, worth it?