Notices

S-Sport In Manual Mode

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KozmicMotorSpts
Until the transmission temperature exceeds 60C, it should be operated in normal or S mode. SSport and the other modes have totally different programming regarding closed loop operation that will effect warm up time on the transmission. Operating the transmission outside of its correct temperature range is detrimental to clutch life.
How long would it take for the transmission to get up to temperature. And would warming up the car when you start it in the mornings warm up the transmission as well. I just want to know because i have been driving the car in S Sport mode for the past three weeks and I haven't had any signs of slippage. Mind you I always warm up the car in the mornings for at least 10 minutes before I start driving.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marlonmck
How long would it take for the transmission to get up to temperature. And would warming up the car when you start it in the mornings warm up the transmission as well. I just want to know because i have been driving the car in S Sport mode for the past three weeks and I haven't had any signs of slippage. Mind you I always warm up the car in the mornings for at least 10 minutes before I start driving.
I don't think having the car sitting at idle will warm up the tranny all that much since it isn't really engaged or doing any 'work', though it could be sufficient enough to safely engage SSport.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedlife
I don't think having the car sitting at idle will warm up the tranny all that much since it isn't really engaged or doing any 'work', though it could be sufficient enough to safely engage SSport.
So how much time would you guys recommend that is needed before the car can be safely placed in S Sport mode.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

10 mins while driving conservatively in Normal mode. Atleast, thats what I do to make sure tranny is in operating temp.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:37 AM

I agree with this. I have noticed that even if I start my car in the morning and let it run at least 5 minutes before I leave for work that it seems to run/shift smoother. Besides, I was always under the belief that you should never drive a t/c car too 'spirited' until it's warmed up. Just better for your engine/tranny in the long run.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to bump an old thread...but I figured I'd use search and chime in...I've had my '14 MR for a bit now, and am still getting used to the SST. Depending on my mood, I've kept it in normal mostly...I've read a lot of posts about the transmission so far, and the general consensus has been to drive mostly 'sport/manual' mode - whether it was for overall feel of shifting was preferred, or to prevent premature wear...sport was it. Is there any difference between the years of the SST? I know the later the model, the more improvements are done to get the kinks out from prior years. If I am mistaken in any of these statements at all, I am welcome to any criticism and educational activities...
Old Dec 30, 2016, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Normal is no fun! Sport Mode is a perfect compromise
The following users liked this post:
nickyd (Jun 6, 2017)