Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Slicks on the evo...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slicks on the evo...

So im about to buy a set of Hankook F200 slicks for the evo. I've checked out all of the fitment issues and they look to be 3/4 of an inch smaller in diam than my RA-1's.

Question 1. Has anyone attempted to run a full slick on the evo?

2. Will the slicks rip appart my diffs?

3. If i can run a 1:02 with old full tread RA-1's.... 1:01 with new shaved RA-1's at lime rock ... what will the time drop to with a slick tire?

something makes me think that EVO+Slick= really fast.. 59's? 58's ?!!?
Old Apr 26, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
free bump, either way, good luck, let us know the times/improvements.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

2-3 Seconds I would imagine going from an RA-1 to a hoosier RS304 or something of the likes...

Scorke
Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Ive rim the goodyear GC CS tires which is their DOT race version of their full slick (used in grand am). They come with two very thin circumpherential grooves that go away after the first session so they are pretty much a slick tire.
I think the biggest issue is actually managing the tire temp and pressures. The goodyear was designed for cars weighing between 2200 and 2500 which is just right for a fully stripped/prepped touring class race car. Unfortunatly since im running a pretty much stock evo the weight and power over heat them on a regular basis. But they are definitly grippier than a "normal" R compound like the RA1.

I would imagine this issue will be further exacerbated since the Hankook tire was designed for Formula ZETEC/Ford and other light open wheel cars which weigh in at ~1230lbs with a driver. Set those pressures much lower than whats normally used.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

I'm also trying to figure out how many heat cycles i'll get out of them. If i can get 8-10 ill buy em.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

full slicks compared to the RA-1s should be good for ATLEAST 2 seconds up at LRP.
You shouldn't have a problem ripping apart your diffs with the slicks. You're not launching which I would think would put more strain on your diffs do to the snap and banging together of the teeth when you launch.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:24 AM
Evolving Member

A full slick's life will be dependent on the compound, type of car, track ect..... I would be carefull with a slick unless you know it is normally ran on a heavy car like the evo. Just because the tire might fit doesnt mean it was designed for a GT or street car. As far as lap time decrease it also depends on how soft the tire is. It might be 1 second or 3 seconds but only last for 2-3 laps until the tire is overheated. It is too hard to predict for sure.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heeltoer
Ive rim the goodyear GC CS tires which is their DOT race version of their full slick (used in grand am). They come with two very thin circumpherential grooves that go away after the first session so they are pretty much a slick tire.
I think the biggest issue is actually managing the tire temp and pressures. The goodyear was designed for cars weighing between 2200 and 2500 which is just right for a fully stripped/prepped touring class race car. Unfortunatly since im running a pretty much stock evo the weight and power over heat them on a regular basis. But they are definitly grippier than a "normal" R compound like the RA1.

I would imagine this issue will be further exacerbated since the Hankook tire was designed for Formula ZETEC/Ford and other light open wheel cars which weigh in at ~1230lbs with a driver. Set those pressures much lower than whats normally used.
Dont know of any goodyear tires run in grand am. Only hoosiers now. Also the "slicks" run in the GT class are not true slicks, more of a dot tire with no grooves or surface tread. A VERY hard compound. A tire with any dot rating is not considered a true slick.

Also if the tires refered too here are designed for a formula ford, I would suggest NOT running them if you don't want them to get overheated and possibly fail in a very short time on a 3100+lb car.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Warrtalon ran the Kuhmo V710 DOT slicks on his lightly modified Evo 8 and pummeled a lot of very strong performers like Vipers and Z06s at a trackday not long ago. I can't remember the thread name. He had some shots of his car up on 3 wheels and said it handled incredibly.

*Edit* Found a thread, but it's not the track thread I was thinking of...just auto-x.

Last edited by Killboy; Apr 27, 2006 at 03:17 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:42 AM
Account Disabled

Well.... anyone know of a slick that fits a 17x9 wheel and can work with an EVO's weight? what about Dunlop... Michelin ? The Porsche cup guys run both of them and run 17 / 18's. My plan here is a tune my suspension for the remainder of the season and for my last two events buy a set of slicks and see what happens. I have a data logger and will be able to see the difference.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:50 AM
Account Disabled

Also... the Hankook F200 is designed for formula cars. BUT the guy at Frisbyracetire told me a guy running USTCC tried them out on GT cars and the result was good. Dont make me go to the porsche forums and ask where to buy slicks !!!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingkyle
Question 1. Has anyone attempted to run a full slick on the evo?
I can't think of any true racing slick that would work with a 3200lbs sedan. Most true racing slicks are not even available in sizes greater than 15 inches. There are lots of DOT-R tires out there that are virtually slicks (Hoosiers and the Kumho V710 come to mind).

Since you've been running Toyo RA-1's up till now, you should try the Hoosier R6 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. Either one will be light years ahead of the RA-1.

Originally Posted by kingkyle
2. Will the slicks rip appart my diffs?
Unless you're launching the car, the diffs should be fine. However, there will be excessive wear on the wheel bearings. I would check them regularly.

Emre
Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:06 AM
Account Disabled

http://www.sascosports.com/products/...php?type_id=36

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/yokohama/yokohama.html

Well... i figured it out myself. Porsche GT3 / Corvette guys run dunlop slicks on stock cars and cut huge time off DOT R's.

I found a video of a stock GT3 on Dunlop slicks running 2:10's at the Glen!

I think dunlop is the way to go.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

kyle, i ran the V710's at LRP that day with you on a 17x9 rim. i had 245-40-17's v710
you have coilovers so you can fit a 275 on the 17x9 wheels
Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

try some advan a032R's b4 going to slicks. they can be heat cycled &/or shaved. got mine from tire rack ($144/each) as they are discontinued. they were replaced by the advan a048. they both have a treadwear of 60. if u want slicks go w/ Hoosiers...

Quick Reply: Slicks on the evo...