Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Shaving used OEM tires for Auto-x??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaving used OEM tires for Auto-x??

I was talking to a fellow Evo Owner/Auto-x racer this weekend about tires, and he mentioned he had sold his wore out OEM tires to an Auto-xer that shaves them down and runs them AFTER they've been through all of the tread. Any here shave beat OEM tires???? As far as I knew the most traction was found in the middle of the tread, is there any grip down at the base?? I wouldn't think there is much room there between the rubber and the cords.....
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Supposed to hard to find anyone willing to shave used tires since dirt, stones & grit embedded in rubber can damage the blade used to do the shaving-or so I was told. Shaved tire will be faster in the dry, assuming they haven't been heat-cyled to death. Most auto-xers want tires wider than 235 tho.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CincyEvo
Supposed to hard to find anyone willing to shave used tires since dirt, stones & grit embedded in rubber can damage the blade used to do the shaving-or so I was told. Shaved tire will be faster in the dry, assuming they haven't been heat-cyled to death. Most auto-xers want tires wider than 235 tho.
Yea I'm just looking for a solution for the rest of the season. I'm building my Evo in my garage and we're using my old OEM tires on another Evo for Auto-x so we're looking for an in-expensive solution to get through the rest of the races this year. The tires are completely done, 2 drivers on 1 set of Auto-x/street tires wears them down quick.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Stew,
I have a set of used 255/40-17 Toyo RA-1's here that still have some tread since I have only been running my 285's this year. I may be willing to part with them since I plan on using those wheels for some Hoosier wets next year.

I'm also in CT. Let me know if you're interested.

John
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

PM sent!