Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO Aerodynamics Review

Old Oct 6, 2014, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
is anything cut out of your trunk?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
is anything cut out of your trunk?
Nope Stock GSR Trunk lid.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 08:31 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Maybe I'm glad I didn't jump through the hoops for a Kognition wing.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by GTABurnout
Well one track day in to my use of my 68" Kognition trunk mount and I have bent the trunk. So far this wing took 12 weeks to get is not the best quality and it bent my trunk. But car feels super soild with the extra down force.
I have the 70" Kog, doing 150 on RA back straight all year, stock truck, stock mounting location, no bends or failures. To put it on a street car and expect it not to bend or brake things with 500+ lbs of downforce at speed is just misinformed. That goes for any decent wing. Why do you think most of the track cars have tons of mounts on the front splitter.

Last edited by Balrok; Oct 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
I have the 70" Kog, doing 150 on RA back straight all year, stock truck, stock mounting location, no bends or failures. To put it on a street car and expect it not to bend or brake things with 500+ lbs of downforce at speed is just misinformed. That goes for any decent wing. Why do you think most of the track cars have tons of mounts on the front splitter.
Car is a gutted caged car with a stock trunk. After lookign at a few other cars running trunk mount wings I think my trunk is the same amount of bent as everyone else. I will need to grab a picture and I plan to reinforce it soon.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tevenor

If you did that, I'd be all over it. I was already in the process of custom designing a wing-independent method to do a safety latch that braces to the trunk floor plan to help on both bow up and force down distribution. If you incorporated it as part of the mounting bracket, makes my life and probably a lot of others lives easier to distribute the downforce into the frame instead of across the deck lid.

You have a timeframe in mind for that bracket change? We talking 6 months or a year out?
New trunk bracket design should be out in about 2 weeks.

We're almost done working with an Evo X customer on a trunk mount that bolts to the stock trunk holes. Also will have a provision to tie into the Evo X's trunk hinge plate, for added support.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
New trunk bracket design should be out in about 2 weeks.

We're almost done working with an Evo X customer on a trunk mount that bolts to the stock trunk holes. Also will have a provision to tie into the Evo X's trunk hinge plate, for added support.
tieing to the hinge plate is a great idea....
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

I FINALLY got some data from aeromotions...although it's not terribly useful.
Attached Thumbnails EVO Aerodynamics Review-image.jpg  
Old Oct 24, 2014, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
I FINALLY got some data from aeromotions...although it's not terribly useful.
It is useless. At what AOA is that data? and how does it change as the AOA changes?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
It is useless. At what AOA is that data? and how does it change as the AOA changes?
If I'm reading that right they are saying at "Max DF" or highest angle of attack setting (12 of 12) they are getting around 50 lbs of downforce @ 50 mph, 225 lbs @ 100 mph, and 525 lbs @ 150 mph.

The Drag at Max DF setting shows really minimal drag, so minimal that it's hard to believe it's less than 25 lbs @ 150 mph?

Then the AoA = 0 line shows how it's quite a bit less downforce with the wing flat.

This has me wanting to go to the drag strip and do back to back runs with the wing at 0 AoA and then compare it to the max setting to see how much MPH trap speed it penalizes you which can be roughly converted to WHP losses at various speeds.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

yeah chris, i believe your explanation is correct however i really wish the data points were labeled. I was told it is "real world" data which i take to mean that it is a plot of data right from the Winshear tunnel. at least it shows me level of drag which is my main concern and i can ALMOST compare it to other wings that i have actual numbers for.

you could also do us all a huge favor and just go out on the highway late at night and do some coast down testing....plllleeeaaassseeeee?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
If I'm reading that right they are saying at "Max DF" or highest angle of attack setting (12 of 12) they are getting around 50 lbs of downforce @ 50 mph, 225 lbs @ 100 mph, and 525 lbs @ 150 mph.

The Drag at Max DF setting shows really minimal drag, so minimal that it's hard to believe it's less than 25 lbs @ 150 mph?

Then the AoA = 0 line shows how it's quite a bit less downforce with the wing flat.

This has me wanting to go to the drag strip and do back to back runs with the wing at 0 AoA and then compare it to the max setting to see how much MPH trap speed it penalizes you which can be roughly converted to WHP losses at various speeds.
Hmm, good observations. How about placing some yarn to see when the air detaches? Try 13, 14, and 15 degrees to start?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
do it Chris. i'd like to know how efficient my Aeromotion wing is
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Coast down testing and yarn, could get interesting.

I can see about some testing if the weather clears up a bit as you would want close to zero wind as possible and no rain.

So basically for the coast down tests you want to compare minimum AoA time from 100 mph down to 50 mph in 6th gear (or neutral?) against having it at max AoA on the same stretch of road or similar?

The yarn test probably will show the wing flowing well at all angles since I now have a Gurney flap on the trailing edge of my Aeromotions wing but I can see how it compares.

Last edited by Hiboost; Oct 29, 2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Coast down testing and yarn, could get interesting.

The yarn test probably will show the wing flowing well at all angles since I now have a Gurney flap on the trailing edge of my Aeromotions wing but I can see how it compares.
For the yarn test the gurney flap on the wing should keep the air attached until 15 degrees or so. If you decide to go with the R.Module take the gurney off...

You should look at adding a small angled (I have to look up the spec) gurney on the trunk in the future, it will help the air stay attached even longer so maybe 16 or 17 degrees based on previous reading.

Last edited by SWOLN; Oct 30, 2014 at 05:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVO Aerodynamics Review