Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

balljoints help needed...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
balljoints help needed...

Sorry if this is a technical post, but only racers seem to have some knowledge and experience regarding suspension and I will add, this thread will help people who mod their suspension, so bear with me....

Here is my issue: I am taking off my whole suspension to do the whiteline bushing kit.

So far, I have gotten the whole rear out - the whole kit and kaboot - 4 arms on each side and each needs atleast 1 bushing pressed out and replaced.

My car has led a rough life and so everything under is seized - For example, swaybar endlinks had to be cut out. ABS sensors would not come out and broke. Just BS issues that I have to deal with.

So, I have had to pop balljoints. I have the special ball joint tool that the FSM recommends to take the ball joint out. While the tool does not damage the balljoint, it squeezes it and pushes a butt ton of packing grease out!

So, I am hoping I can just replace the boots and pack them with grease !?! In my searches, I found that a balljoint boot cover is available (MB808555) - I found a thread by user justchil who ordered these, but he has not posted on the board for a while now.

FSM has following information on replacing boots!

Required Special Tool:
• MB990800: Ball Joint Remover and Installer
Only when the dust cover is damaged accidentally during service work, replace the dust cover as follows:
1. Remove the dust cover.
2. Fill the multipurpose grease in the dust cover and lubricate the lip [Amount of filling grease in the dust cover: approximately 7g (0.247 ounce)].
3. Using special tool MB990800, punch the dust cover until it contacts the snap ring.
4. Press the dust cover with your finger to check that there are no cracks or damage in the dust cover.

Anyone done this? Anyone know where I can find MB990800? I googled it and also searched Evom - no luck.

Also, how many of you serious racers have had to replace a balljoint on the Evo? have you found a replacement balljoint or land up replacing the full arm. Thats expensive.

It makes no sense why Mitsu would not sell separate ball-joints!!! Its expensive replacing arms and esp. if you have aftermarket bushings on the normal ends of these arms! There should be a replacement out there (moog) that can be used, I would think!

I plan on documenting the bushing installs and can share, no one has done all of them and posted a DIY to help the community. I am sure the rear was a walk in the park compared to the front where I am also installing a whiteline swaybar, precision steer and the rollc center kits.

Anyways, if someone could help, that'd be great! Thanks!

Last edited by EvoIXMR; Jan 23, 2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pictures?

Whenever I have to re-use a ball joint, I've always separated it with a jack and a BFH. Avoids damaging the dust boot.

Oh, and when you get to the swaybar, get ready for one ***** of an install. You have to drop the whole front subframe.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

I've replaced the front balljoints with the whiteline versions. I'd give them an email to see what they can do, I'd bet they could help source rear balljoints for you. Once you press them out they are garbage. I pressed out both of them on a hydraulic press at work and they're not reusable after that. Nothing short of a hydraulic press is going to get them out, believe that. PM me with any questions you might have.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Pictures?

Whenever I have to re-use a ball joint, I've always separated it with a jack and a BFH. Avoids damaging the dust boot.

Oh, and when you get to the swaybar, get ready for one ***** of an install. You have to drop the whole front subframe.
Again - My balljoints and boots are not damaged - the tool just forces grease to come out (I guess that could be damage, but I have seen other pics of balljoints with grease oozing out the top) and I want to get them re-filled and there seems to be no way of filling them with the boots on.

Yep, I am dropping the whole subframe - I have to do the swaybar, precision steer kit and rollcenter adjuster as well. No pain, no gain!

I'll post pics tonight of the stuff I have out and the joints!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honki24
I've replaced the front balljoints with the whiteline versions. I'd give them an email to see what they can do, I'd bet they could help source rear balljoints for you. Once you press them out they are garbage. I pressed out both of them on a hydraulic press at work and they're not reusable after that. Nothing short of a hydraulic press is going to get them out, believe that. PM me with any questions you might have.
If the frontballjoint matches the rear which it should since boots are the same, I would if moog or someone else makes one too. I doubt the Evo ball-joint is special somehow - Mitsu would go broke designing balljoints specific for a car - wait, maybe they did - which is why they are in poor financial shape!

When I press my fronts out for the rollcenter kit, I will have a chance to compare.

I don't want to throw the arms away in 2 to 3 years especially after I have whiteline bushings pressed into each one, ya know? They should last a long time, the balljoints will go first, I would think.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That steering precision kit was no fun as well. Had to press out the small bushing, which mean bleeding the PS system. The front control arm bushing was fun as well. Yes, no pain, no gain.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Bleed the PS system - how do you do that - I normally turn the wheel with the cap open adding fluid...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

sorry for resurrecting this from the dead, but any luck finding that special tool MB990800?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

no luck. I gave up on this and used a ball joint removal tool that had several cups to help push the whiteline boots on after I filled em up with grease
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:23 AM
Former Sponsor

where did you get the tool from?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

it was a MAC tool set a buddy had.