Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Hot Brakes - Undertray the cause?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hot Brakes - Undertray the cause?

So I've been tracking my Evo IX for nearly 3 years. Never really had any brake problems before. I've gotten a mushy pedal in the past, but that was back when I had bad braking (over-braking) technique and a mostly stock setup.

Fast forward to 2009. Did a few events this year; no problems. I bleed after every weekend event; and flush a few times a year. Here's my brake setup now:
- Hawk DTC60's, Goodridge SS lines, Forge Air Cooling Ducts, Motul fluid, front Ti shims

.......Then I installed a Beatrush Undertray. First event out it was about 94 ambient and I was getting a soft pedal in every session; actually lost my brakes in one session. Pedal to the floor and everything. I chalked it up to the temps and braking too much. I bled the brakes and the next day I kept the sessions short and things seemed ok.

Today; in the first session no less - brake pedal to the floor and nothing! Ambient temp like 65. Off-track (obviously) at a high rate of speed. Pumping the brake pedal and using the e-brake even to no avail.
So I flushed the entire system of fluid and went ahead and removed the underpanel while I was at it since the car was jacked up. ZERO problems the rest of the day.

Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me that the underpanel is causing my issues. Anybody else have any issues like this or a different hypothesis to offer?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Depends on how your ducts are ran. I learned quickly that long *** ducts with tons of bends going to the front bumper yielded nill flow (compaired to the air i was pumping out of the compressor). Then I ran a short duct (less then 1.5 feet) with only one bend and holy sh*t there was air. I won't give out all the secrets but you get the idea. Basically your lack of tray WAS your air duct before.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure but I am guessing those ducts are not duct tubing like the AMS kit. If that is the case and those are just curves designed to guide air to the brakes, your Beatrush undertray is now likely blocking them. Get something like the AMS duct (tubing) kit and you will be thrilled, night and day difference. Good luck!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
I am not sure but I am guessing those ducts are not duct tubing like the AMS kit. If that is the case and those are just curves designed to guide air to the brakes, your Beatrush undertray is now likely blocking them. Get something like the AMS duct (tubing) kit and you will be thrilled, night and day difference. Good luck!
The main difference in the Forged kit vs AMS is the duct size. The AMS kit uses a larger diameter tubing. Other than that; it's really the same setup. Hot Lap makes a similar kit but again; the tubing is not a large as AMS.
So good point; I'm sure the larger AMS 3" kit would help out.

Originally Posted by Balrok
Depends on how your ducts are ran. I learned quickly that long *** ducts with tons of bends going to the front bumper yielded nill flow (compaired to the air i was pumping out of the compressor). Then I ran a short duct (less then 1.5 feet) with only one bend and holy sh*t there was air. I won't give out all the secrets but you get the idea. Basically your lack of tray WAS your air duct before.
I bought new tubing this year and ran new ducts. I bought 11' in total and used probably ~4ft for each side. They pull from the front of the car; on either side of the intercooler from the stock bumper.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Q

Few Qs for you;

1) Were you running the stock undertray before installing Beatrush one?

2) I know you track your car quite often. When was the last time you rebuilt your caliper, exchanging worn-out piston seals?

Let's start from there.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yes the larger tube would help out but I am surprised you noticed such a massive difference with a change of undertray. Balrock is right that a more direct path with the tubing is better, but unless you have ground pickups for the ducts underneath the car, it is a giant pain to route the piping past the ACD pump. For what its worth, mine are not especially straight and while I think the wear is uneven on the pads left to right, I still noticed a massive difference having the AMS ducting kit so I am not sure how Balrock got little to no air flow. Despite the uneven wear, I never have any issues with uneven braking left to right.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Boom 29,

Yeah mushy pedal sucks. Your new setup consist of DTC60's, etc... what was your old setup? Have you also upgraded to R-compounds?

It sounds like you are getting faster and upgrading your braking to match. Your deduction of undertray or no undertray is not so cut-and-dry. And everyone here is pointing to other variables.

Did you install the tray after the complete flush? Maybe that's all you needed was a flush as oppose to a bleed? It seems you have amassed a decent setup. I would look more at upkeep than the parts. If anything I would use Castrol SRF. It is expensive at $80 a liter but considering your track day probably cost you $600 for the weekend (track fees, gas, hotel, tolls, food) it is a small price to pay and it works like a ****.

I personally do not run with a tray because I am lazy. But there is a distinct engine cooling and car aerodynamic benefit to running one.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inslowoutfast
Hey Boom 29,

Yeah mushy pedal sucks. Your new setup consist of DTC60's, etc... what was your old setup? Have you also upgraded to R-compounds?

It sounds like you are getting faster and upgrading your braking to match. Your deduction of undertray or no undertray is not so cut-and-dry. And everyone here is pointing to other variables.

Did you install the tray after the complete flush? Maybe that's all you needed was a flush as oppose to a bleed? It seems you have amassed a decent setup. I would look more at upkeep than the parts. If anything I would use Castrol SRF. It is expensive at $80 a liter but considering your track day probably cost you $600 for the weekend (track fees, gas, hotel, tolls, food) it is a small price to pay and it works like a ****.

I personally do not run with a tray because I am lazy. But there is a distinct engine cooling and car aerodynamic benefit to running one.
I ran DTC60's last year with the stock undertray and Motul, ducts - with zero issue. I flushed the fluid before the year began, and bleed (heavily) after events - so I have bled a few times with the Beatrush undertray on.

I figure it is a combination of things. Figured it'd be a good topic to discuss. And my 'off' was pretty serious; track exit about 90mph.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

The only time I’ve had a mushy pedal is when I ran the reservoir dry and induced air into the system. After bleeding and bleeding and bleeding, I managed to get all the bubbles out and no more mushy pedal.

Other than that, no problems with my cooling ducts under the tray.

Old Jul 19, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ I like that. Is that the stock plastic undertray?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

18bora, I like that setup too. What is your ride height? I am very low to the ground for street use (properly corner balanced and aligned, not slammed ) and I am not sure I could get something like that under my car. However, being so close to the wheels and a good ways behind the front end, they may clear easily. What did you make the intakes out of?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

looks like he might of used like a shop vac attachment and cut it all to make it work. just a guess
Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

Correct, I used shop vac attachment and the stock under tray. I'm about 1"-1.5" lower and it clears my driveway without a problem.

Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ROK EVO
Few Qs for you;

1) Were you running the stock undertray before installing Beatrush one?

2) I know you track your car quite often. When was the last time you rebuilt your caliper, exchanging worn-out piston seals?

Let's start from there.
1) Off and on - literally. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Most recently this year; no.

2) I actually rebuilt the front this year by putting in all new seals and dust boots. Coincidentally (I hope) right at the same time I installed the Beatrush panel. I also put on my 3rd set of rotors.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

I have carbing undertray, ams ducts and never had a problem. I would do as one suggested and check your routing.

Quick Reply: Hot Brakes - Undertray the cause?