Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 Race season ends: Accounts from a Rookie Racer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Race season ends: Accounts from a Rookie Racer

My 2009 race season as a rookie racer is over. It has been an amazing year. I don’t know how I can articulate how amazing it has been to start racing this year. So much has happened from the end of the 2008 season to now. I went from competing in NASA’s Time Trial series, to racing in Super Touring. I’m an example of NASA’s ladder system. I didn’t start in HPDE 1 with NASA, but either way I made my way up the ladder system from HPDE, to time trialing, and now racing. Typing about this now is probably the first time I’ve sat down to think about it all.

The transition into racing, besides all the thrills, has been stressful. Compared to what I go through now, it used to be a walk in the park when I used to get ready for time trial events. Now, the development and preparation is endless. We usually have about 1 month between our regional races, but that 1 month never seems to be enough. The days seem like hours, and the weeks seem like days. I just never feel like I have enough time to rest and get ready.

Having started racing this year has been a great journey. There have been several major unexpected highs, and a ton of challenges stacked with more challenges. I’ve learned a great deal about myself, my friends, my sponsors, and about racecraft. On top of all that, I finished all 6 of my regional races without any incidents. I successfully completed my provisional racing license, and before leaving for Nationals I received my official racing license. Also, on top of being the 1st from Socal racing an Evo in Super Touring, I’m also the 1st to race an Evo at MMP for NASA’s National Championship. Here is everything I accomplished this year:

Details: 2009 Results

* Total of 8 Super Touring ST2 races
* 2 Super Touring ST2 National Championship races
* 6 Super Touring ST2 Socal Regional races
* 6 podiums in a row
* 4 wins in a row
* (2) 2nd place
* Winner of hard-charger award
* (1) Pole position
* All the while as a rookie racer

I had a very successful year of racing this year (which was totally unexpected), but I know that it’s only going to get more challenging from here on out. I have learned that racing, compared to HPDE and Time Trialing, is on a completely different level. I knew that prior to starting racing this year, but I now have that experience. Racing, in one sense, is a major battle of attrition. Parts are going to wear out more quickly, there is going to be contact, and there is nothing you can do but hang on and try to deal with everything accordingly. And the only reason why I was able to hang on so that I could persevere through the challenges and achieve those accomplishments was because of my sponsors and friends. Thank you to all of you for your support:

- RRE
- Robispec
- Girodisc
- SCM
- ACT
- Island Tire
- Last, and definitely not least, my crew, my friends, Robert Ramirez (a.k.a. Honda Robert), Sean Bradley, and Mark Homer.

As for the 2009 Socal NASA Championship, I don’t know what place I took overall because the final season points have not been assessed yet. When that happens I will note it accordingly. I know I didn’t win it because I missed too many races. But for what it’s worth, I was in 1st place after my first 6 races with a total of 580 points. The 2nd place driver was very close behind me with 565 points. Unfortunately, after getting hit at Nationals, I was not able to repair my car to participate in our last 4 races (Oct/Nov). That incident cost me a podium finish for the season. Even though I didn’t have enough points to win the Socal Championship, if I had been able to race in October and November I would have had a chance at a podium, and possibly 2nd place overall. But that’s racing. The 2009 season is over, but the 2010 season is right around the corner. In less than 3 months we are back at Big Willow to start the 2010 race season. I must say that it all went by really fast.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

I hope the ST2 class grows nationally and the future brings many more good drivers from the time trial and driver school program Evolution participants.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice synopsis there Ed. You know I continue to follow your progress!

All that prep work you caution about for racing really keeps my future plans in prospective. Just to run at the front in regional TT I feel I do a ton of prepwork right now!

Looks like for 2010 you're planning on being back in ST2?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
I hope the ST2 class grows nationally and the future brings many more good drivers from the time trial and driver school program Evolution participants.
Im sure ST2 will continue to grow, but you never really know because the economy has hurt everyone. Either way, im sure ST2 will continue to grow. Considering its a higher class series, its relatively inexpensive. Especially if you have good support. I think for now, people are just going to have to step up and make it happen however they can, like you and me.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Nice synopsis there Ed. You know I continue to follow your progress!

All that prep work you caution about for racing really keeps my future plans in prospective. Just to run at the front in regional TT I feel I do a ton of prepwork right now!

Looks like for 2010 you're planning on being back in ST2?
Thank Nate. Considering i dont really have anyone to follow, i think ive taken a pretty good approach to racing my Evo in Super Touring. Granted i have great support from my sponsors. As for 2010, im definitely planning on continuing to race in ST2.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Yaaa....that whole Time and Money thing...small glitch
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the finish and a great year.

Thanks for all the info you provide, many of us take your advices for gold!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

As far as I know there are 4 drivers running evolution's in NASA ST 2

Ed Nazarian Evo9

Tony Deluca Evo9

Whit Staples Evo9

David Fazzino Evo8
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8
Congrats on the finish and a great year.

Thanks for all the info you provide, many of us take your advices for gold!
Gold? Little do you know that most of you know way more than i do. Thanks again everybody.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
As far as I know there are 4 drivers running evolution's in NASA ST 2

Ed Nazarian Evo9

Tony Deluca Evo9

Whit Staples Evo9

David Fazzino Evo8
Lets see if we can double that next year.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

The 2009 Socal NASA final season points have been assessed. I took 5th overall in Socal. Looks like had i have been able to race in our last 4 races (Oct/Nov), i would have had a chance to battle for 2nd place overall. Nothings guaranteed, but at least i would have had a chance. I suppose that will be more incentive for next year. The top 9 finishers were all within a race of each other. I cant wait until our 2010 race season starts. From the sound of things some people are stepping things up a bit. Should be interesting to see how the competition develops.

1. Josh Carroll - 1310
2. James Wagaman - 975
3. Thor Gjerdrum - 635
4. Mark Montoya - 621
5. Ed Nazarian - 580
6. Tom Dragoun - 577
7. Thomas Winch - 558
8. Bob Stebbins - 469
9. Scott Howard - 415
10. Walter Carlos - 250
11. Dan Miller - 182
12. Ryan Cashin - 170
13. Richard Koevary - 150
14. Aaron Knox - 115
15. John Van Caneghem - 75
16. Jonathan Greenfeld - 75
Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:58 PM

Hi Ed,

Besides the hit you took at Nationals, have you experienced any car-to-car contact in the regional races? I ask as I recently sold my Spec Miata and I'm looking for my next race car. Might be a Honda Challenge car but every time I take my Evo for a drive it tells me it wants to be a race car!

P.S. Congrats!

P.S.S. I'm moving back to SoCal soon and will be racing something with NASA.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikeColangelo
Hi Ed,

Besides the hit you took at Nationals, have you experienced any car-to-car contact in the regional races? I ask as I recently sold my Spec Miata and I'm looking for my next race car. Might be a Honda Challenge car but every time I take my Evo for a drive it tells me it wants to be a race car!

P.S. Congrats!

P.S.S. I'm moving back to SoCal soon and will be racing something with NASA.
Thanks. As you know, its not much of a race unless you have endless instances of close calls, but i never had any contact during any of my regional races. I did witness a few collisions though.

Btw, if youre thinking of racing your Evo, look no further, because racing it with Socal NASA in ST2 is where you will want to be. How serious are you about racing your Evo? Besides HC, any other series youre thinking about racing in? When do you think youll start racing with Socal NASA?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Want to thank Jay for posting this. I didnt know anything about it so it was a nice surprise. Its the first time someone has mentioned me, and linked an article of mine:

- From a Super Touring Driver..

- Ed's Evo