Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Helmet question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:59 AM
vik
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helmet question

What helmet to use?
I have my old helmet from motorbike for few years now and it is fine.
I was thinking to get a proper car racing helmet but when I tried some Bell and Arai car helmets I felt disappointed.
I would say the motorbike helmet for same price has much higher quality feel
The only disadvantage that you can not use HANS.
What helmets are you using? What would you do Car or Bike helmet?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

Well it all depends on what you're using it for, and what the organizers require. I can't really say I know the general rules the clubs follow in Prague The big difference between them is that motorcycle helmets are designed for withstand multiple impacts, whereas auto helmets are designed to be fire proof.

Last month I took an overnight train from Budapest to Berlin. Was thinking about stopping over in Prague for a day, but decided to put that off for next time.

- Char
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

sportbike helmet here
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

HANS hardware can be installed to a helmet. Also, note that a HANS must be used with a proper harness and seat. A harness requires a roll bar and compatible seat. You have all that already?

Given how you worded your post, the following may also be of value to you:

The helmet is designed to dissipate impact energy over the entire helmet and prevent debris from puncturing it.

Snell Memorial Foundation is an independent organization that sets voluntary standards for auto-racing helmets. The SNELL standard seem to cycle on 5 year schedule. Almost all clubs require helmets to be no older than a 10 year old SNELL rating. A SNELL 05, means the helmet was tested against the 2005 standards and most clubs will no longer accept it in 2015. The M stands for Motorcycle and the SA stands for Special Applications. If you think about it, protecting a head dragging along the pavement and hitting exterior of cars and other road side objects would require different specifications than protecting a head inside a vehicle cabin hitting interior trims and metal roll bars. Although M rated helmets are allowed by some clubs, it is recommended that you stick with SA rated helmets for use inside a car.

Open face versus closed helmets. Some folks prefer the open faced ones as it is not so warm inside and they provide a more open feeling and peripheral vision similar to what you are used to in daily driving. Some also mention then they are more comfortable to use with glasses. I however prefer the extra protection around my face and jaw. Yes it is a bit sweatier inside, but you have to give something up to get something else in return.

Helmets have a BeadALL liner layer inside the outer shell that deforms to absorb impact energy. It is something like Styrofoam. Once it compressed it will not pop back up - you can't re-use it. Therefore, it is imperative that you buy a new helmet after any sort of impact with your head and destroy the old helmet.

The most important aspect to a helmet being effective is the fit. If the fit is wrong the helmet will not protect you. There are various techniques out there to test for a proper fit, read them, understand them, and then try them on your own helmet. If you are not sure, go to an authorized dealer and get help from them for a proper and safe fit.

There are other aspects about a helmet to consider. The more expensive materials used are mostly for weight reductions – lighter helmets are more comfortable for extended time wearing one, and have less mass that is accelerated in an impact. The different ventilation systems can play a big role on how comfortable the helmet is to wear for anything over 5 minutes. Other features such as quality and HANS compatibility may be something you may look for your specific application. The inner liner of most helmets is a form-fitting layer that is made of either nylon or Nomex. Nomex is a special fire-retardant material that doesn't melt, drip, burn or support combustion made by DuPont and obviously makes the helmet more expensive. Doing proper research on the brand/company history, experience and specifically where a helmet is made should also be part of your research and decision making.

A standard visor shield that is made out of Lexan is usually included with a helmet. Consider using it to protect your eyes despite it making it even steamier inside. I had debris fall into my eyes by just following another car (no off track excursions either) – never thought it would happen if I was behind a windshield but it did. Some helmets offer shields that are tinted and polarized (just as sun glasses) as additional options.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
^That.

See the rules for the organization you run with.

And I wear a set of shatter resistant clear eyewear under my helmet for the reasons xtnct mentions. Getting hit in the eye with a piece of rubber or a rock is not fun and it does happen on the track. Plus it keeps the wind from drying out your eye. I have a tinted shield that I pull down for sunny days. Also have a clear shield for rain days.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would imagine following someone around a left hand turn and having your driver side window open to the path of debris coming off their tires could really increase the chances of something flying up into your eyes. That's especially true if you are on the outside of the track with them hugging the inside, perhaps in anticipation of setting up a safe pass.

I'm using a 2005 SA open face helm but considering getting a full visored helm to keep my jaw and eyes safer.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
full face helmet + airbags = broken neck... well at least that's one school of thought.

OP, you need at the very least an SA rated helmet.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Loser
Well it all depends on what you're using it for, and what the organizers require. I can't really say I know the general rules the clubs follow in Prague The big difference between them is that motorcycle helmets are designed for withstand multiple impacts, whereas auto helmets are designed to be fire proof.

Last month I took an overnight train from Budapest to Berlin. Was thinking about stopping over in Prague for a day, but decided to put that off for next time.

- Char
the bolded part is partially incorrect. Bike helmets (M rated) are designed for one impact.

SA (car) are rated for multiple impact (think wheel then roll cage) and are fireproof.

Some M rated helmets are rated for multi impact, but that is not part of the certification.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
vik
Evolving Member

Ok thanks for imput
I want defo a closed face and I don´t have any airbag in my car.
It is caged with HANS compatible seats...

As far for the regulation. I´m compiting under FIA class so I don´t need a HANS. It is just for me and my personal feeling.

And yes the fire issue can be good point
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

+1 on the HANS (or similar) device. Considering its your life, it's a small price to pay
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
full face helmet + airbags = broken neck... well at least that's one school of thought.
I would disagree unless you have some kind of proof for that. Personally, I can't see the logic behind that statement. It is like being ugly and having a big *** chin or something. That is not going to make an air bag any more less effective. Also, hitting the bag with a helmet as opposed to your face directly would most likely be less painful as the helmet will absorb some of that energy. You may also avoid getting any lacerations/burns and bruises as a result of that.

I have seen a handful of DE accidents where airbag was deployed and no broken necks as a result of that while wearing a helmet. I have seen broken hands however (airbag explodes, rips your hands off the wheel and they go off hitting the door, A or B pillars). If it was true, I'm sure most clubs would NOT have rules to require helmets during their events.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Ya, and fire proof helmet is sort of mute too, unless you are wearing a full fire suite - not going to help you much.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

^moot.

As far as the helmet vs. airbag, it's just something I've heard from older racers. As with anything YMMV, etc.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin

OP, you need at the very least an SA rated helmet.
whoa is this true?? i've never heard of it happening before, but I guess how often do airbags go off when u've got the helmet on..
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
whoa is this true?? i've never heard of it happening before, but I guess how often do airbags go off when u've got the helmet on..
This issue came up a few years ago as a concern but I've never seen any proof that this has happened. The SCCA put out an advisory concerning this possibility but nothing further came of it. I think this issue has gotten a lot more attention since that advisory came from the SCCA. I was able to find the report that brought up this issue on another forum if anyone wants to read through a the original technical report. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...80&postcount=7

Quick Reply: Helmet question