Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Safety Equipment Discussion (Seats, Harnesses, HANS, Rollbars/cages) [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTK: A Good 5/6 point harness & Seat for the track

I have an 06 Evo that I am prepping for "mainly" track use. I would like to hear from guys that have installed racing seats (such as Sparco)
AND 5 or 6 point harnesses with little modifications.

What have you installed and are you happy, or would you have done something else?

Thanks for any help and pictures would would be nice too!

PIR is my home track (here in Portland, OR), but not many Evo drivers change out their seats.
Myself, while I like the stock Recaro's, they do not accept anti-sub belts.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i'm using the Schroth racing harness with a Hans options. I suggest if you will do serious racing get a harness which is compatible with Hans divice.

I love the Schroths , ultra light nice looking and easy on ond off type.
Take a look at the video how we put it on and the end how she took it off with one simple move.

http://www.youtube.com/user/amigoand.../3/5XoBsqf4luk

web page:

http://www.schrothracing.com/?gclid=...FRBM5Qodb0cJUw

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 14, 2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

For my HPDE/DD car, in the process of installing Sparco EVO seats with the Schroth Clubman 6pt (due to price - can't spring for the nicer hardware): http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...an/clubman-III. Eye bolt for sub belts and bolt mounts for hip belts (that way I can use stock belt mounting locations). Shoulder belts wrap around the roll bar.

I use an R3 (because I use it in other cars on passenger side).

Of course, a roll bar is required for the above, so I have autopower bolt-in and working on adding some reinforcement plates for the floor pan this year.

With the stock seats, I used the Schroth Rally with ASM belts, with the top attached to the stock rear top belt mount under the parcel shelf:http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...allye/rallye-3
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

I have used most harnesses that are on the market today, and honestly the g-force 5 points are one of my favorites, you can beat the price on them.

My favorite seat that i have used is probably the OMP WRC seat.

I use www.safedrives.com for all my safety gear. They are located close to you. Charles is a great guy to talk to if you have questions.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
There's been quite a few of these threads. So to sum it up, everyone is going to give you a slightly different answer, because we're all shaped differently. Your number 1 best option is to take the time and travel to a shop or friend that has the seat or seats your looking for, and try them on for size. One thing to keep in mind is the material of the seat, and if it's FIA Homog'd, as your future racing class you've been starting to look at has rules about this. After you find the seat that you must have, look for the mounting brackets, most of these are universal and won't "bolt on" to the Evo right away. Street car you can get the sliders too, but most of us don't use them because A it's another thing that could break, and B it sits you up higher. One option is to find some of the uber expensive evo specific race seat mounts, or have a shop fab you one as well as a sub belt anchor, which is what I did. After this, onto the belt. Belts will depend on the rest of the above setup, and if you have a roll bar/cage, and a Hans device. Now most belts 2 or 3 inch will "fit" on a hans device, however some of us find the hans specific belts are more comfortable when used with the device. There's other neck restraints out there so research all that.

Also note, having a seat already before you get the cage installed is a handy thing because now the fab guys can put the harness bar exactly where you need it based on your body and seat belt opening height. (Because you don't want the belt to "rest" on the seat, you want it on you shoulders and to pull on the harness bar)

Soo, I have the Recaro ProRacer Hans XL seat (cause i'm chubby), schroth 6 point hans belt, and the alum mounts. HMS motorsports for all my major safety gear.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yes HMS is the best place to get those even the seats
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

as someone has already said, try before you buy, and make sure to ask about fitment for all recommendations, one size does NOT fit all.

my setup: Cobra Suzuka S (I am 155lbs/ 5' 9") + Schroth 6pt Profi II HANS

The Schroth Profi hardware is worth every penny. The tightening action is smooth and consistent.

Have used Willans, Sparco and OMP in the past on various racing cars.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Balrok pointed out, there's been a ton of these overlapping threads. I know I've whored out these pics before, but 'll throw in my .02 here.

First off, keep in mind that you can have your stock seats modified to allow for a sub belt. I did this (after seeing another member with them) and it worked great for a year. I use 6pt 3" G-Force belts mounted around an Autopower bolt-in rollbar.

But recently upgraded to a lighter Sparco Fighter seat - which I had to cut for a subbelt too ironically. I'm wanting a new set of FIA fixed back seats though when I find the money - top choices are Sparco Evo or Pro2000 seat, but OMP makes nice stuff too.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Make sure to add a back seat brace with non-homologated seats!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Racetech is my vote for racing seats.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

I really wouldn't recommend keeping the stock seat, which is not fixed back, and adding harnesses and a bar/cage. You don't want that seat back to collapse.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

I have a Sparco Evo 2 with G-Force 6 point harness mounted in an FC RX7. I am six foot tall and about 220lbs. The seat is really comfortable even in the cramped confines of an RX7.

I have also sat in an OMP WRC seat. I actually like that seat a bit more than the Evo 2 but we got a real good deal on the Sparco.

I too agree with the above advice, try a few seats out and see how you feel in them.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Question Safety Equipment Discussion (Seats, Harnesses, HANS, Rollbars/cages) [MERGED]

Background: Car is a street (but not daily) Evo 8. This will be my 3rd year doing track days and after having a close call spin at Monticello last year, it's time to make safety a priority. I want to make it a priority on a budget and still do it right. What I mean is still getting quality (FIA rated if possible) stuff, but I don't need $1,000 seats and $500 harnesses. I don't plan on racing at any point, just a handful of HPDEs each year, but hitting 140+mph is serious business. So, I've decided I need the basics: roll bar, 6 point harnesses and seats. Here is what I am looking at:

Roll bar: Autopower race 4 point with requisite padding and backing plates from whoever it was on here that was selling them

Seats: OMP TRS x2 with bottom mount bracket, no slider

Harness: Schroth Clubman III 6pt x2 with snap connection, eye bolts, backing plates, etc

So, what do you guys think of those? Anything I'm forgetting? A HANS is likely in the future as well. I've been doing a lot of research on what needs to be done to install everything correctly and I think I've got a good idea of what it entails. The seat will bottom mount to the bracket which will mount to the chassis. For the 6 points, I will wrap the shoulders on the roll bar harness bar, attach the outside lap belts at the stock seatbelt location and drill/mount the backing plates for the sub belts (20* angle rule). Since the inside lap belt is currently attached to the seat, do I have to drill the tunnel and mount a backing plate there as well? I believe I do but want to confirm. I think that's about it. Nothing's ever as easy as you plan, though, as we all know all too well.

Constructive information is more than welcome as this is my first venture into this stuff so bear with my noobness. Anything you think would be helpful with the install or what equipment to go with would be appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Nice find on the OMP FIA rated seats for $369! You can get quality belts a little cheaper, Scroth is a good name, but a LOT of people use G-Force and you can get the camlock belts for $150 here:
http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro...?productid=952

I have an Autopower 4pt bar - with reinfored backing and G-Force harnesses myself. I've had a range of seats, but after the stocker it's always been FIA and Sparco.

I have my belts mounted to the stock holes seatbelt holes. Below are some OLD pics from 2008 when I first set everything up. I used grade 8 bolts from Lowes/Home Depot.

Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
A few brief thoughts:

-- a fiberglass seat is safer than a tubular construction seat and often more comfortable;

-- you may want to consider a seat with wings up top to keep your head from moving too far to the side to prevent neck injuries in sideways impacts;

-- a good quality full face helmet rather than an open face;

-- once you have harnesses and a roll bar, it probably makes sense to disable your airbags when on track (SCCA recommends against airbags with full face helmets);

-- it's possible to mount the inside harness mount to the seat frame rather than drilling a new hole. It's generally a good thing for the belts to share a mounting point with the seat so that they move together in a collision.

-- consider a fire extinguisher within your reach from a driving position;

-- with an off-the-shelf roll bar, watch your shoulder harness angles during install and make sure that your seat height (i.e., shoulder height), the harness holes and the harness bar height all are in sync;

-- if you are unsure about angles and mounting approaches, consult a good race fabrication shop before install.

Good luck!

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Dec 30, 2010 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Safety Equipment Discussion (Seats, Harnesses, HANS, Rollbars/cages) [MERGED]