Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Race day

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Race day

Yep it is still about the MT Washington hill climb... LOL
I cant wait to run this event. I hope my car will be up and running, even though i will have 0 chance in this. But at least i will be there It is a great honor for me they actually picked me out of 350 + entry

here is the entry list for the event...
"2011 MT. WASHINGTON HILLCLIMB COMPETITOR ENTRY LIST REVEALED
Posted on April 15, 2011 by CTTC

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 15, 2011

For more information, contact:
Chris Yandell, Marketing Manager – Vermont SportsCar
Telephone: (802) 655-3533 ex16 E-mail: chris@vtcar.com

Colchester, VT – Officials at Vermont SportsCar revealed the invited driver list today for the return of the legendary Mt. Washington “Climb to the Clouds” Automobile Hillclimb, to be held June 22-26, 2011. The Mt. Washington Hillclimb, known as the Climb to the Clouds, was first run in 1904 and is considered to be one of America’s oldest motorsports events. The 2011 Climb to the Clouds, which makes a comeback after a ten year hiatus, will be a 5-day festival of motorsports with a 75-car competition field filled with some of the best drivers and cars from around the world competing for “King of the Hill” honors. The entry list includes three of the past five course record holders, former and current rally champions, several high-powered open-wheel cars, a vintage class filled with cars steeped in motorsports history and a first for the event; a purpose-built race-truck!

Gunning for overall victory and a new overall course record will be a trio of past record holders. They include multi-time rally champion Tim O’Neil from Whitefield, NH, seven-time SCCA ProRally Champion Paul Choiniere from Shelburne, VT; and current Climb to the Clouds official-record holder and six-time Canadian Rally Champion Frank Sprongl from Ontario, Canada. These drivers all hold records within a minute of each other and will be racing in the Open Class at the Climb to the Clouds.

Other notable drivers going for the overall record include Jimmy Keeney of Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Todd Cook from Tempe, Arizona – both of whom will be driving purpose built open-wheel hillclimb cars with upwards of 900 horsepower, but only two-wheel drive. Keeney was the 2nd fastest qualifier at the 2010 Pikes Peak International Hillclimb and Cook is a multi-time class winner at Pikes Peak. Two other open-wheeled cars are the 1968 McKee MK8, a Formula 5000-based car raced by Robert D’Amore from Arlington, MA, and “The Patriot”, a bespoke hillclimb car built and raced by Jerry Driscoll. Driscoll, who makes his home in East Randolph, Vermont, set the current Speed Record of 113mph on the Mt. Washington Auto Rd. course in 1998 driving the very same car he’ll be racing this June.

The Vintage Class features a lineup of prestigious racing cars from the 1930′s and 1950′s. Although all the entered vehicles are steeped in motorsports history none maybe as much so as an extremely rare 1933 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 that won Le Mans with legendary Grand Prix driver Tazio Nuvolari at the wheel. The 8C was shipped across the Atlantic, and in 1937 it raced and won the Mt. Washington Hillclimb – it returns this June, restored as it was raced, to compete 74 years later. Also competing will be a 1934 Reuter Special known as “The Old Grey Mare,” a 1953 lightweight special known as “The Cheetah” and a 1951 Jaguar XK120 known as “The Beast.” The Vintage Class roster will also feature a 1931 Studebaker factory Indy car – one of only three that were built – that won the pole at Indianapolis in 1931, as well as raced and won Pikes Peak the same year. All of these historic cars have raced at Mt. Washington before and will return this June!

The Mt. Washington Auto Road will see a truck race up its narrow serpentine course for the first time in its history as daredevil Mike Ryan of Santa Clara, California takes his purpose-built Freightliner 14.7 liter turbo-diesel-powered race-truck up Mt. Washington in the Hillclimb Special Class. Ryan, a Hollywood stunt-driver by trade, holds the current record at Pikes Peak in the Super Truck Class and will forgo the Colorado event this year in favor of the unfamiliar Mt. Washington Hillclimb.

The two-wheel drive and all-wheel drive Rally classes will be headlined by defending Rally America, North American and Canadian Rally Champion Antoine L’Estage in his Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X and Former Subaru factory rally driver Ramana Lagemann from Somerville, Massachusetts in a 2010 Subaru WRX STI. The all-wheel drive class will be a showdown between the makes as five Subaru and five Mitsubishi rally cars are entered.

Four additional classes host race cars which normally compete in the New England and Pennsylvania Hillclimb Championships that include cars from the 1970′s: BMW 2002, Datsun 510, Opel Ascona, Chevrolet Camaro, and even a Triumph Spitfire; the 1980′s: VW GTI, Mazda RX-7, Peugeot 505, Saab 900, and Porsches; the 1990′s Nissan Sentra, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Dodge Neon, BMW M3, and the thrilling 240RS Maxi, and the 2000′s including modern Volkswagen, Subaru WRX STI, and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution entries.

The Climb to the Clouds will also host a vintage car show during the event weekend displaying cars and machinery with impressive ties to Mt. Washington. Highlights include the 1904 Orient Buckboard that raced in the first-ever Mt. Washington Hillclimb in July of 1904, a 1907 Bailey Electric from Amesbury, MA identical to that of a Bailey Electric that completed a 1,000 mile loop from New York City with Mt. Washington on its route, and the 1961 Volkswagen with Porsche Carrera power that Bill Rutan from Moodus, CT drove to the overall record in 1961 – 50 years ago this June.

The full entry list can be found here: http://climbtotheclouds.com/competitors/entry-list/"
Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

here is the truck will run
10 times hill climb champ and 6 times record holder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15oE2gH90Uw

this is an old video from my class one of the driver besides a many famous one. But he is now the defending Rally America - Nort American - Canadian Rally Champion...
But there will be other guys _ like Burak he actually driven 50+ times WRC.... Or the SUbaru factory rally driver etc...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zegysPFMAug
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob, It dosn't look much better for me in the open class. .

I'd feel alittle more confident if they would let me run without a restrictor to try and keep up with 700hp NA cars. Either way i'm going to give it my best.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

You know, the real dealn is we run it with 0 pressuren since we got 0 chance. BUT we will be there and run it hope fully and that is all count, just to be there as a competitor is accomplishment. Rememer it is not like you pay and run.... There was a significant entry over the limit, and so they picked the 75 what they think is a MOST qualifyed
And both of us in. Run it safe and visually entertaining. Then you will be fine.

See you up there the latest
Rob
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Your keyboard/English skills a little off or did you start drinking early today Rob?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Your keyboard/English skills a little off or did you start drinking early today Rob?
Neh ... Its off, and don't be modest... Not a little off. I am working on it
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

I know he won't post it, but I saw Jeff Denmeads video of his 2cd overall run at MT Washington. To see a Evo 5 RS running over 100mph before turning right into a hairpin left switch back was utterly insane! He did it with such ease and speed on the edge of a 2000' drop over looking the Presidential range! Rob do your home work and make the best of your lifes acheivement racing to the top of Mt Washington!

Last edited by apex electric; Apr 25, 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
I know he won't post it, but I saw Jeff Denmeads video of his 2cd overall run at MT Washington. To see a Evo 5 RS running over 100mph before turning right into a hairpin left switch back was utterly insane! He did it with such ease and speed on the edge of a 2000' drop over looking the Presidential range! Rob do your home work and make the best of your lifes acheivement racing to the top of Mt Washington!
thanks !
i 'll certainly try my best. we already started ordering parts for the new engine, and the car getting started to build for a race in saturday
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Good Luck Rob! Can't wait to read about your experience (even if it is in broken-engrish)
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Good Luck Rob! Can't wait to read about your experience (even if it is in broken-engrish)
thanks! .
The plan is ready for the build
the engine you might be interested, will be a 2L 9:5:1 compression ratio.
CE custom pistons - manley rods - ARP stud kit, everything else is oem.
99% Cosworth ECU with necessary sensors. Custom intercooler set up - oil cooler - piping.
Modified engine brackets etc./for a fast and easy work/
Also some interior mods , like camera with a sound recording from a helmets.
New brake pads /CL/ and many many things/.

Basically will be a completely different car. Hope fully will done way before the event so we can actually test it before we go
Old Sep 2, 2015, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

This event is back on for 2017.

Sort of.

The proposal is in and they've made noise about it.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

they denied me on bogus reason. They didn't let me run with Rally America because i wasn't competing in 2013 Rally America events. So they said they reserved they 20 spots for rally cars who an active championship runners. I know it was BS and they just wont let me run.
History proved me.

They couldnt fill up the 20 spots they reserved for rally cars, even when they invited Drifters, people who didn't run rally america or didn't even run years before, never mind the 2013 championship.

The race day they still had 5 spots open. I had several polite email between us and couple of organizers, until the last day they denied me to run even though i won the 2011 overall rally and my rally class.

It was clearly mad to run Subaru and ford only event. Not even L'estage was there... no Evo what so ever.. etc.

So as long as even slightly has to do this event with rally america ( Subaru USA/ Vermont Sports car) I am not will run it.

When i was running it 2011, i had 4 inspection on that race... They never found anything, i even have a completely stock drive train lol

anyway. They do they Stinky business, and i have no chance and desire to be part of it.

Rob

Ps : they had a film about this race in travel channel and discovery, they managed to not show my car even one tenth of the second . LOL but you see ambulance cars hot dogs everything in that movie ...

So i give you some pictures from that race . lol

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 3, 2015 at 06:59 PM.