Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STR S2000 guy coming over to the 'Dark Side'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STR S2000 guy coming over to the 'Dark Side'

Greetings folks, first post - noob. Thought i'd say hello here in the 'Competition' forum.

Been autocrossing for 3 years, been running my '08 CR in STR the last 2. Car is about 80% prepped, but it looks like i'll be selling it to my co-driver.

i want something that's a little more practical (like 4 doors) not as low to the ground, better in bad weather, bla, bla, bla....

I'm a closet AWD fan, and it's down to STi or EVO. I've always liked the EVO... mainly from what i've been told, they rotate on power better than the Subaru and being a RWD guy, i like that.

I'll keep it simple since there's a lot of research yet to be done on my part, but my main question to the autocrossers:

Which one? VIII or IX? Which trim?

The main reason is I'm in the Charlotte area and i'm surrounded by STi's. when i tell you there are no EVOs in any of the 3 clubs i run with, it's not an exaggeration so there's really nobody to talk to on the subject.

So far the advice I got was stay away from the MR because the 6 speed is 'weird'....don't know why? Is the 5 speed the way to go?

The RS is the lightest. My research says no power windows/doors, aluminum roof, no radio, no wing.

I'll assume the SSL is not the best choice for weight purposes.

And what about the GSR? Doesn't come with the aluminum roof, and i'll assume it's got a sunroof which to me, is just dead weight.

Okay, XIII or IX?

If i'm not mistaken, the IX has the VVT. How much of an advantage does it have over the XIII, if any?

And what about the differences in the differentials, if any? Pros/ Cons?

Since my questions are autocross specific, I'd like to hear the opinions from competitors...oh yeah, BTW probably should mention eventually the car will be in STU trim. That might help a pinch.

Thanks,
Frank
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the Dark Side!

I can't really answer your question, just wanted say hi to a fellow Charlotte member.

Good luck in your quest with the Evo! There are some sick ones here for sale that seem well taken care of and already modded.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ityn
Welcome to the Dark Side!

I can't really answer your question, just wanted say hi to a fellow Charlotte member.

Good luck in your quest with the Evo! There are some sick ones here for sale that seem well taken care of and already modded.
Thanks. I'll probably be looking for something stock-close to stock to start. I'm picky about my car parts, the first thing will be 9" or 9.5" wheels and suspension, then i'll build off that as the 2012 season progresses.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simple RS IX if you can find one. You get the immediate HP advantage of the Mivec if running a stock class. Once in SM it really doesn't matter. You get the solid 5spd, Alum Roof, Weight Reducing because not having certain creature comforts.

The 9-9.5 wheels are going to through you out of the stock class for sure.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome!

Somewhere Doug put together a great post that summarized the differences between the MY / Trims from an autoxer's perspective... Doug?

I'll summarize:
2006 - more power with the IX and the VIII
RS - lightest, but no ABS (and in ST *I* think you need ABS)
GSR SE - second lightest and has ABS (Doug will disagree - he says the GSR is the lightest)
MR - 6 speed; lower top speed in 2nd gear(??); 2nd heaviest
SSL - sounds nice; heaviest

Good luck with your search!

-'chono'
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by metalsaber
Simple RS IX if you can find one. You get the immediate HP advantage of the Mivec if running a stock class. Once in SM it really doesn't matter. You get the solid 5spd, Alum Roof, Weight Reducing because not having certain creature comforts.

The 9-9.5 wheels are going to through you out of the stock class for sure.

Thanks for the heads up.

STU, tho.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by chono
Welcome!

Somewhere Doug put together a great post that summarized the differences between the MY / Trims from an autoxer's perspective... Doug?

I'll summarize:
2006 - more power with the IX and the VIII
RS - lightest, but no ABS (and in ST *I* think you need ABS)
GSR SE - second lightest and has ABS (Doug will disagree - he says the GSR is the lightest)
MR - 6 speed; lower top speed in 2nd gear(??); 2nd heaviest
SSL - sounds nice; heaviest

Good luck with your search!

-'chono'
If the GSR has the 5 speed and comes with the wing, i can see me leaning in that direction. I definitely want the wing for aesthetics and then i'll tune around it. I hate the look of the car without the wing.

If you have links to any threads that discuss the gearing, please post so i can check it out. the tranny (5 or 6 gears) is a biggie for me, being on an autocross course and in that limbo between 2nd and 3rd is something i'd like to avoid as much as possible. FWIW, the top of 2nd gear on my CR is ~59mph.

my friend who told me that the 6 speed is 'weird' is arguably the most knowledgable car guy i know, so the gearing is something i put at the top of the 'to know' list before making a purchase.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boyracer40
If the GSR has the 5 speed and comes with the wing, i can see me leaning in that direction. I definitely want the wing for aesthetics and then i'll tune around it. I hate the look of the car without the wing.
IMO there isn't really any tuning involved for a stock wing in regards to DF or wt, in an AX environment.

Rick
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Out of the USDM CT9A's, the 04 VIII RS, 05 VIII, and 06 IX had front LSD's while the others didn't. IX's had the bigger factory turbos, followed by the 05's, then the rest of the model years. Not sure which cars come with the sunroof besides those with the SSL package, but my SE comes with an aluminum roof.

So far the advice I got was stay away from the MR because the 6 speed is 'weird'....don't know why? Is the 5 speed the way to go?
I think they meant to say that the 6-speed is weaker in the fact that it won't handle as much power as the 5-speed in stock form. I've heard 450 WTQ is the limit for these trannys, but since you're gunning for STU, that shouldn't be a problem

EDIT: Here you go: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...ix-evo-mr.html
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

A IX or IX RS is probably going to be best for you.
the VIII's have non mivec motor, smaller stock turbo, and no ACD (active center dif) unless you buy a 2005.
Now do you care about power windows and locks? if not get an IX RS and then put a wing on it. You'd then get the aluminum roof, light weight car with no sound deadening and have the appearance of the GSR.

Keep in mind also the RS has no ABS
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What 3 regions? I'm one of 2 Evo's in the Atlanta region SCCA. I came from an S2000 myself. I have occasionally ventured up to the central Carolinas region for a few autox's at Michelin's Black Lake. I agree it is overrun by Subie's, but its fun to be the odd man out and whoop some butt! I love my Evo IX RS, weight saving is awesome. Built for SM with mild weight savings I'm at 3031 lbs with a full interior, 1/2 tank of gas, and my butt in the drivers seat!

Cheers and welcome to the "dark side",

Craig SM #12 ATLSCCA
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

pics of s200
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

For STU I'd say the 9 SE is the best option.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fully STU-prepped Evo which took second at nats in 2010 and third in nats this year is for sale. It's not mine but my buddy's. It has AST 5200's, two sets of wheels and tires, modded rear diff... The works for $25k. PM me for more info and/ or I'll PM you a link to more info when Im not thumb typing on my phone.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
A 2006 Evo is the only one to consider; it has the larger turbo along with MIVEC which significantly improves spoolup and provides a wider powerband. The 6-speed in the MR is known to be weaker, but I'm not sure that's an issue with an auto-x/road race car. The drag racers are keen to stay away.

Quick Reply: STR S2000 guy coming over to the 'Dark Side'