Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
First and foremost i'm glad everyone is okay!

I don't think that joking around is really a good thing for people to hear about from these guys. They were a factor in causing what some are callingl the "worst" pikes peak event in years in regards to red flags and such. There are competitors that didn't even get to run the race because of delays.

With that being said, there are some serious issues that will be discussed by the organizers and racers over this. The question of his acceptance into this event is going to be on the top of that list. I'm not sure how you let a rookie that has never hillclimbed or even done that many high speed track events enter the top hillclimb in the world? They are lucky to be alive!
Because people think if you are good on track. Also have experience there, will be sufficent for hillclimb.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Glad to hear both are doing ok. That was a long fall.

Even the pro's have mishaps. I think the entire evo dynamics crew knew the risk they were taking.

The result of them both being ok tells me the cage did a pretty good job. Not a broken bone on either of them.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
First and foremost i'm glad everyone is okay!

I don't think that joking around is really a good thing for people to hear about from these guys. They were a factor in causing what some are callingl the "worst" pikes peak event in years in regards to red flags and such. There are competitors that didn't even get to run the race because of delays.

With that being said, there are some serious issues that will be discussed by the organizers and racers over this. The question of his acceptance into this event is going to be on the top of that list. I'm not sure how you let a rookie that has never hillclimbed or even done that many high speed track events enter the top hillclimb in the world? They are lucky to be alive!
I know nothing about any of this because i have never kept up with this event. But if what youre saying is the case, im certain there are drivers who are concerned about it. If something like this happened in a race, i have a little bit of experience with NASA and SCCA, i know a lot of racers would be asking NASA and SCCA some serious questions. And they would be typing up a storm on the forums.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bueller
Wow, that was a bad crash. It sounds like both guys are ok? Pretty lucky if thats the case. The first time i clicked on this thread it so happened that safety was being discussed. But that was the last time i viewed this thread so excuse me if ive missed something or if ive totally misunderstood it. On page 6, DaveK expressed his concern about your lack of bars on the cage, although i dont know if you guys ended up adding more bars and triangulation. It appears a small discussion continued to page 7 but i dont know if more was discussed or explained later on. I have 0 experience with Rally and Hillclimb type of events, so id like to know what everyone thinks now? Given this incident, has your perspective changed on what DaveK advised? And if you guys plan to build another car with the possibility of running in these types of events, will you add more safety or will your philosophy continue to focus more on weight reduction?
I think it's pretty clear my cage held up under the most insane conditions imaginable. I have an engineering degree and followed rules set in place from years of learning the hard way. Adding extra bars doesn't always make stuff safer or stronger. Will I build another? Sure, but I had a lot of money in this car so it will be a few years to build another. My only regret on the safety was not using the window nets. We went with windows instead to improve the drivers visibility in sharp turns. When the door ripped off the car it left the passengers arms exposed.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:11 AM

Tragic crash. Looked absolutely unsurvivable in person. Hat's off to the cage builder! As some have commented, yes, this years race was taken to a whole new level. Atleast 4+ hours of red flags and safety officials policing cars and car parts off the hill yesterday.

I don't like hearing the excuse of experince in racing. It's never a matter of how, but when. We're all going to wreck. All drivers have a wreck story so IMO nothing needs to change with qualifying for the race. The only way to gain racing experience is to race, so let em race.

That being said, Pikes Peak has a fantastic tech inspection. I saw some really really bad wrecks yesterday. Jeremy's was one and Paul's was the other. All occupants walked away.

Wishing Jeremy and his co driver a speedy recovery!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Rally cages wich should be used for hill climbs for high power turbo awd cars are designed by world class engeneers with countles of experience and testing. So i am not sure wise to questioning they design and engeneering for this type of races. Why tge senctioning body let unlimited cars running like that is not the point here. Clearly they let first time hillclimbers with that calss also.

This rol was kind of lucky, since the entry speed wasnt that heavy also the first hit didnt landed on the discussed area.
Anyway, the best thing is focus on the future, and dont be smart what should or shouldnt be done.
I hope i can see you guys there next year
Car is a car, so the most important is the guys condition. We are all happy nothing happened with them.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
I think it's pretty clear my cage held up under the most insane conditions imaginable. I have an engineering degree and followed rules set in place from years of learning the hard way. Adding extra bars doesn't always make stuff safer or stronger. Will I build another? Sure, but I had a lot of money in this car so it will be a few years to build another. My only regret on the safety was not using the window nets. We went with windows instead to improve the drivers visibility in sharp turns. When the door ripped off the car it left the passengers arms exposed.
We had to use the arm thingy for mt washington that wasnt required here?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:48 AM

Your point regarding window and driver/passenger separation nets is a valid one KevinD. On the other side of the argument, other drivers will claim window nets create blind spots and are a potential hazzard on full on switchback hillclimb roadrace style racing. Therefore, they should remain elective.

Sorry you got your car all wad'd up. I hope to see you back in our great state racing the hill in the future. Redemption is bittersweet when you get bit at Pikes Peak.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dude, I'm just happy the guys are OK. That was a scary crash.

Nice work on the cage and safety devices - they worked.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:06 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah- wow-

glad they are ok-

cb
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:14 AM

Please tell me if this is insensitive but you guys made Jalopnik:

http://jalopnik.com/5934147/watch-th...own-a-mountain
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build-3w6yr.jpg
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

That is just amazing. I have to agree that the cage did a great job. They are lucky they didn't have any intrusion into the cockpit from the rocks. They had someone looking over them yesterday!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Two things that came to mind...

1) ****ing awesome pic!
2) Ohh ****, something really really bad is about to happen!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, lots of those big pointy rocks could have penetrated the driver area with the right impact. Watching the video a few more times makes it even more gnarly.

Quick Reply: Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build