Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jesus **** that is gnarly... +1 for the cage builder that saved the lives of 2.

Glad to see both occupants were ok and recovering...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Premonition or what...

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Biggest difference between running NASA and Hillclimbing! If you go wide you wreck! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJexmstJWs. And thats not even bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVdS8Qnvb8

I believe everyone should do what they want in regard to safety.

I cant wait to see what unfolds this year. It is a start of a new era!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:52 PM

Good luck to you and the crew! One hell of an opportunity. Looking forward to the build process.

Last edited by Odessa434; Aug 13, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Odessa434
Good luck to you and the crew! One hell of an opportunity. Looking forward to the build process.
Read before you posting.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Odessa434
Christ really?

-Acree
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:07 PM

Hi guys, here's some pics I took right after the crash, showing the debris spread, the first responder (a photog) and the first official reaching the crash. I also give an overview from above at how they landed in the gulley (the path of least resistance for water flow) and how this should of been a more horrific crash...they could of rolled another 500 meters down. I've tossed in a few from the heli airlift as well.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1015370...zn2fCLy_7wiQE#

I think the cage did an incredible job of keeping these two alive. If you could see what the cage had to endure on the way down in person, you would realize how impressive it is.

Asking a cage to endure a tree hit and stop is one thing. Asking a cage to handle high G rotation accident without splitting is another, asking it to endure the impact into sharp rocks from a 60-80 foot fall with rotation G and the sharp cutting edges of the boulder rocks is another, and it did exactly what it was supposed to do: keep them alive.

Frank, Ottawa Canada.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OttawaFrank
Hi guys, here's some pics I took right after the crash, showing the debris spread, the first responder (a photog) and the first official reaching the crash. I also give an overview from above at how they landed in the gulley (the path of least resistance for water flow) and how this should of been a more horrific crash...they could of rolled another 500 meters down. I've tossed in a few from the heli airlift as well.

Asking a cage to endure a tree hit and stop is one thing. Asking a cage to handle high G rotation accident without splitting is another, asking it to endure the impact into sharp rocks from a 60-80 foot fall with rotation G and the sharp cutting edges of the boulder rocks is another, and it did exactly what it was supposed to do: keep them alive.

Frank, Ottawa Canada.
I think you are so "excited" about this happend. Didn't know someone can just joined here to post pictures...Anyway...

Here is post on EvoD FB.

"To all our family and friends, thank you again for the support. We would like to personally ask you all to please refrain from posting or sharing any further photos/videos relating to the crash. Thank you for your immediate consideration"

Last edited by Chef-j; Aug 14, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

We're all glad to see you guys are alive after such a horrific crash. Much kudos to the cage builder!

Hope you guys get well soon!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Why is the picture posting embargo?
I never heard this one before.. unless it was fatal and the pictures were seriously gross.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I never heard this one before.. unless it was fatal and the pictures were seriously gross.
The video was posted on the Today Show this morning at the end of the news segment so it's pretty much everywhere if the national news is broadcasting it....glad these guys made it out OK
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
I think it's pretty clear my cage held up under the most insane conditions imaginable. I have an engineering degree and followed rules set in place from years of learning the hard way. Adding extra bars doesn't always make stuff safer or stronger. Will I build another? Sure, but I had a lot of money in this car so it will be a few years to build another. My only regret on the safety was not using the window nets. We went with windows instead to improve the drivers visibility in sharp turns. When the door ripped off the car it left the passengers arms exposed.
Thanks for responding. I dont know anything about Rally and Hillclimb type events so im genuinely interested in learning about the safety topic. So your only regret is not using window nets? I didnt know they are not required. Does that mean next time you will build the identical cage again and the only thing you will do different is add window nets?

Regarding the rules, since i dont know them, i looked back to see if anything was noted. Theres way too much to read so i just looked on p6-7 and found a post by DaveK:

Originally Posted by DaveK
Did you guys consider adding an A-pillar support bar? Its commonly found on rally cars and helps close up the huge gap in the cage above the door bars and helps prevent the front of the cage (at the top of the windshield) from being as easy to crush in during a rollover. Same would go for some additional triangulation between the main hoop and the front laterals. Here's a random pic I found online where you can see those two extra bars:

With the consequences of an "off" at PP, I think its a pretty worthwhile addition to the cage. I don't think its required by PP, but it has been required for any rally cars built after 2008 or so.

Dave
Im thinking that if what Dave is saying provides more safety, why not do it? Ive seen pics of cars with "Rally" type cages and they definitely look safer than the typical road racing car. I imagine that has something to do with the history of Rally and Hillclimb? People have built cars, crashed, and learned how to make them safer? Is the cage building perspective changing now? Have they gone overboard with safety so that now weight reduction is more important? One of my other questions would be, how do the people who have been around Rally/Hillclimb for a long time building their cars? Are they also minimizing their cages and focusing more on weight reduction?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goforwand
The video was posted on the Today Show this morning at the end of the news segment so it's pretty much everywhere if the national news is broadcasting it....glad these guys made it out OK
I meant in this topic.

Because it is all over in the news....as you said it.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...130045334.html

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 14, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

.La
Originally Posted by Bueller
Thanks for responding. I dont know anything about Rally and Hillclimb type events so im genuinely interested in learning about the safety topic. So your only regret is not using window nets? I didnt know they are not required. Does that mean next time you will build the identical cage again and the only thing you will do different is add window nets?

Regarding the rules, since i dont know them, i looked back to see if anything was noted. Theres way too much to read so i just looked on p6-7 and found a post by DaveK:

Im thinking that if what Dave is saying provides more safety, why not do it? Ive seen pics of cars with "Rally" type cages and they definitely look safer than the typical road racing car. I imagine that has something to do with the history of Rally and Hillclimb? People have built cars, crashed, and learned how to make them safer? Is the cage building perspective changing now? Have they gone overboard with safety so that now weight reduction is more important? One of my other questions would be, how do the people who have been around Rally/Hillclimb for a long time building their cars? Are they also minimizing their cages and focusing more on weight reduction?
No, cages in hill climbs and rally is a priority. Because literally no safe zone in this type of events.
long and lots of roll usually doesnt kill people. Sudden stops does.
Also the rally cage are designed for this type of events obviously.
that is why they so massive.
Sure they made them over 100 + year of experience and engeneering for safety.
you can question it and have an opinion about it, but end of the day when you go out there you would have one which is fits in the specifications.
Maybe its a big news for track guys these type of accidents but it is very common in hill climb.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 14, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:34 AM

The story and video made it to our local news as well here in Jacksonville, FL. I sent them a message with a link to this thread for reference.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I'm curios as well?

I have seen some discussion about the cage not being FIA rally legal. If you saw those pics from a few pages ago you will see the main hoop would not have withstood another impact on the passenger side. And it seems that they didn't even hit the front hoop part. I think that it was more luck then anything that they survived.

Premonition? No, just knew there was a good chance they were going to wreck.

Quick Reply: Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build