Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P.S. Racing safety gear is expensive!!!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
rally daves car isn't a rally car. its a pikes peak only car. it wouldn't be legal for any form of racing except unlimited hill climb stuff...
Oh ok. I thought rally dave because he does rally
.lol
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

got some work on the core support done before i left tonight:

intercooler, radiator and bumper all mate up to it perfectly. Tam is coming in to weld it together more and i'll get some tabs on it for everything. the idea was to have the entire front end come off very very easily.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats to you all on the acceptance into the race! This is definitely on my bucket list. Last year I checked off One Lap of America, and after hearing about your endeavor I may have to look into the PPIHC for 2013. Good luck, go get 'em!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
What are your guys thought on the whole "maybe" having to qualify topic? That really will make it difficult for new teams to actually be able to compete on race day. One thing you will learn if you become a hillclimber. Experience on a road is key! I kno Dave K has some opinions on this subject. My opinion is that they better be careful about how they do this or whats going to happen is this. The race will attract racers for the first few years then, it will die off again and they will be stuck with having to rely on the grassroots folks again. And alot of them will be pissed that they havn't been able to run the past few years. If you look at entry list over the past few years. They need to realize that most of the drivers are from Colorado or surrounding areas. Sure they will bring in some more "long distance, big time names" for a few years but they shouldn't penalize the people who have been keeping the hill going over this long time. It wasn't that long ago that this race was thought to be on its last leg.

If you can get 600HP out of the smaller turbo then it might be okay. If your thinking that your worried about lag. I'd think about running anti-lag.
I'd be happy to discuss this with you elsewhere as to not clog up the build thread

P.S. Thank you to everyone for the nice comments. We will do our best to represent the Evo community at it's highest level.

Last edited by ratt_finkel; Jan 24, 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Been off the forums working on my other project and working 7 days a week. Super excited to see more mitsus entering the race - welcome to the madness!

I'll say this on the turbo choice - I drove on a FP White (i.e. basically stock IX turbo) on a stock motor the first year and it was laggy. Elevation sucks! Antilag would be cool, but only if you're pooping spare turbos. I'd love to give it a try, but have never bothered with it in my 4 years up there...a turbo is an expensive thing to waste.

Regarding the qualifying rules - I don't think any modern turbocharged vehicles will have to worry about qualifying. Put in a good conservative run and you'll likely beat out at least 20% of the entries. I think that's the direction they're likely to go, not the 115% time rule. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the slower cars drop out when the rule is announced, possibly resulting in qualifying not being necessary. Time will tell, and I'm sure the official rule will drop soon.

Dave
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

You will not kill a turbo since you going up hill and hope fully you are on the throttle more then a normal or downhill races.
A turbo since can leave with an als. Normal race driving an easy 6-7 race event. Only things is you need to get use to a push. Hill climbs definitely see benefits of the als. That is why in eu turbo cars use it even unlimited classes.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Went by the shop last night to check seat fitment. Looks like I will have to get use to driving with the bottom half of the steering wheel lol!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:13 PM
Former Sponsor

more progress in the last couple days....

got the a pillar gussets back from water jet cutting:
Name:  c8d76927.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  72.9 KB

welding those in hopefully tomorrow or saturday (got backed up at the shop today and tomorrow so most likely will be saturday)

we reinforced the cage to the strut tower braces:
Name:  659a8f49.jpg
Size:  70.9 KB

and finished the steering column by making a bracket for the digital dash:
Name:  3d825939.jpg
Size:  86.2 KB

oh, and our new -AN fittings on the CBRD radiator:
Name:  1f7152c1.jpg
Size:  76.2 KB
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

nice !
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts

What's with the rust in the cap area?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:03 PM
Former Sponsor

I run straight water in the car. And last time it sat for a while thus the rust. The block has been hot tanked and the radiator will be cleaned as well before going back on the car.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:51 PM

Congrats again

Cheers to having it stripped down-
now the fun part of putting it back together.
Have fun
Old Feb 6, 2012, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

more updates today:
Name:  78e5cab6.jpg
Size:  83.6 KB
got the lower radiator tabs welded onto the core support. waiting for the upper radiator brackets from torque solutions until the radiator is completely fixed to the car. next will be intercooler and front bumper.

also, test fit the dry carbon hood to see roughly where the mounting tabs will be. going to be a PITA mounting it
Name:  ebc96a45.jpg
Size:  55.2 KB

and we got the a-pillar gussets welded in:
Name:  60604c5f.jpg
Size:  63.7 KB
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Nice , be watching this to see how it all goes, good luck with it.

Was hoping to get their myself in 2013 but , as others gave stated entry positions for the ta class are limited and also under strict competition.
Watching you guys enjoy the mountain might end up being as close as I get.

As said before, good luck.

Quick Reply: Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build