Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got the oil cooler from pegesus i think it was. and i'll be using -8AN oil hoses and -6AN power steering hoses.

we have a ton of progress made. the shell is ready for paint, and i don't want to really post any pictures until its all painted. once it is back from paint should be ready to go in a matter of a few days.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

It's going to be one tuff race this year in Time attack!

I can't wait to see how things unfold. I'm still thinking i might make the trip to watch this year.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What wheel/tire combo?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Former Sponsor

working on shoring up some sponsorship for wheels/tires still but without sponsors it will be RPF1s in 18x10.5 with either A6 or R6. were going to play around at the track here and see if we can get the heat in the R6s in the size we will run, or if the A6 will over heat on that long a course.

the TT cars usually only run half a session before the A6 overheats, but that might be enough time to make it to the top
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Same decisions we're battling with here...and do you have a spy camera in my garage?

The good news...or is it bad news...is that there are no trees close to the road to hit on the last 7-8 miles if your tires go off.

Dave
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait to see the color...

-Acree
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
working on shoring up some sponsorship for wheels/tires still but without sponsors it will be RPF1s in 18x10.5 with either A6 or R6. were going to play around at the track here and see if we can get the heat in the R6s in the size we will run, or if the A6 will over heat on that long a course.

the TT cars usually only run half a session before the A6 overheats, but that might be enough time to make it to the top
I think ambient temp should be a big factor in making the decision. If it ambient temp is <50deg F (give or take) we can run A6's in an autox setting for what seems like indefinitely with out overheating. and if the temp is >85deg F it seems like we can't get but 1 or 2 runs before they're done.

I can't imagine it's very hot at 14k feet.

Last edited by griceiv; Apr 26, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by griceiv
I think ambient temp should be a big factor in making the decision. If it ambient temp is <50deg F (give or take) we can run A6's in an autox setting for what seems like indefinitely with out overheating. and if the temp is >85deg F it seems like we can't get but 1 or 2 runs before they're done.

very true... also the altitude is going to play a part as well because there will be less cooling of the tire because there is less air

being the first attempt at this for us, we are going to stick to simple and what we know with a couple alternatives. we will even have a set of rain cut hoosiers just in case
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

we will even have a set of rain cut hoosiers just in case
Don't forget a set of Blizzaks! Its been a few years since its happened so maybe we're due a good snowstorm on race day this year.

Dave
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

very true... also the altitude is going to play a part as well because there will be less cooling of the tire because there is less air
also agree, but i think a good chunk of the heat conducts out into the pavement.

long story short, i'd definitely try the A6's first. As you go longer into your run (when heat is normally the problem) your altitude gets higher (RAPIDLY) and the environment cools down, helping the A6 out.

the other interesting, albeit theoretical, factor is that as you go higher in altitude the air pressure (psig) in your tires is going to increase which will also decrease the rate at which you add heat to the contact patch. unless you have bleeder valves...then nevermind.

Last edited by griceiv; Apr 26, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
Don't forget a set of Blizzaks! Its been a few years since its happened so maybe we're due a good snowstorm on race day this year.

Dave
holy crap! i was scared driving street speeds up that road in the dry. I can't even imagine attempting to race up it with snow on the ground. I'm not well equipped enough (bowling *****?) to try that!

Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

I think it was 2004, I went up as a spectator and by ~11am a big storm moved in over the upper mountain. They shut the race down at Glen Cove for safety reasons, and those of us above tree line retreated to our cars and waited out the storm.

Dave
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

I need to get my plane and event tickets. This is going to be a blast!!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
holy crap! i was scared driving street speeds up that road in the dry. I can't even imagine attempting to race up it with snow on the ground. I'm not well equipped enough (bowling *****?) to try that!

I'd love to tackle the mountain in the snow actually
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
I'd love to tackle the mountain in the snow actually
Someone from Texas who knows how to drive on snow? Surely you jest?!?

Dave

Quick Reply: Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build