Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

RaceKern.com 2012

Old Feb 2, 2012, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RaceKern.com 2012

Going to try something a bit different with the posting this year and instead of a new thread for each event, I'll make updates to this thread, whether its build updates or race recaps.

First off, we're on the list for Pikes Peak once again and that's where we'll be focusing our efforts with the Evo. I've got a few ***** up in the air and as things fall into place, I'll be sure to tell you all about it.

Two big changes at Pikes Peak this year:

1) There's no more AWD and 2WD divisions in Time Attack - just one huge class with 28 yes, 28 entries!

2) There may be qualifying needed to make the big show on race day.

As anyone following along in my previous build threads know, Pikes Peak has been gaining pavement at an alarming rate over the last five year. I built my Evo as a rally car and have been slowly adapting it into more of a road race car. Last year we made the decision that we'd focus on Pikes Peak and if we had a car afterwards, we'd see if we could put it to use elsewhere.

We got a chance to run the Monarch Hill Climb in September and really had a blast (and set a record!). That event really cemented for me that this racing thing doesn't always need to be so serious. Gotta have those laid back just-for-fun weekends too. Click here to see the re-cap of the race.

I still think the decision to keep the Evo fresh for Pikes Peak is a good idea, so we'll be trying to get the 2nd car finished up this spring and run it at some gravel hill climbs and rallies.

Gotta finish off with at least a few more pics, so next up is a blurry late-night shot of the cars outside the stable before one of them got loaded up on the trailer:

This next one was snapped during a little testing session last weekend:

There's more pics of the testing last weekend at the Bridgestone Winter Driving School can be seen here if you're interested in checking it out.

Thanks as always for following along! Any questions, please ask away.

Dave
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

As some of you may know I had a little oops moment up on the hill last year, missing a braking zone and/or getting caught out by some dust on the road. Either way, the result was a crash into a guard rail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRPjRoiOPlk

In the true rally spirit, we pressed onwards to the summit despite losing some key parts:

With only one shot per year at the road, you just have to go for it. Obviously we lost a ton of time and even go hung up on the hay bales for ~30 seconds, but still managed a 4th place finish just ~20 seconds off the class winner. Total heartbreaker, but that's part of what makes this race so unique. Anyone can have an off year, and anyone with good preparation can have a shot.

We even managed to take part in the parade back down the hill, but it was noisy and I was slightly concerned that if a spectator got a foot run over, it might've been a hillside amputation.

Dave

Last edited by DaveK; Feb 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Looking forward to seeing you at pikes peak this year dave!! Keep this updated on your progress
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I'LL def. will watch this thread. It is not necessarly a bad thing they paved it all the way to the top. Plus the qualifing idea is greati think. Should be every where where is a huge demand for race. Not just a who knows who games to get in the race....
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow nice!
Did you finish the raced without a rear tire after the crash?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by an2ny
Wow nice!
Did you finish the raced without a rear tire after the crash?
F&*K YEAH I DID! Should've seen the looks from people we got after crossing the finish line.

Took 4th place too. We were ~20 seconds behind the class winner and ~25 seconds off our old record. If we had made the same crash but had bounced back into the middle of the road an not gotten stuck on the hay bales for 33 seconds....we could've had a win and a new record. Racing can be heartbreaking some days.

Dave
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I'LL def. will watch this thread. It is not necessarly a bad thing they paved it all the way to the top. Plus the qualifing idea is greati think. Should be every where where is a huge demand for race. Not just a who knows who games to get in the race....
PP has not been a "who do you know" race for as long as I've been involved despite the fact its always been an invitation only race. Normally you're invited if you can pay the entry fee.

IMO, its the MWHC guys who should be ashamed of themselves for turning away the Sprongl Quattro so that a Subaru could win.

Dave
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
PP has not been a "who do you know" race for as long as I've been involved despite the fact its always been an invitation only race. Normally you're invited if you can pay the entry fee.

IMO, its the MWHC guys who should be ashamed of themselves for turning away the Sprongl Quattro so that a Subaru could win.

Dave
Yeah i got the vibe(actually we) they weren't trully happy not being the fastest rally car there neither subaru or ford with they own driver and instructor local racer...

We in certain angle ruined the parade. Specially since they even annunced they would like to be a fastest
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Rally car there. Vermont sport car alias rally america is about subaru and ford. They will not risk an audi ruin the parade too.

Although i am 100%still sure higgins would win it anyway. He even had a pa e notes and many many practice days before.
just a last two would have give a huge as advantage vs Spongl.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

But the Sprongls have history up there...and experience with that car. Who knows how it would've turned out, but I hate the politics behind the move. Makes me wonder how they'll treat fast Evos.

You were in the rally class last time...what happens if you decide to go for the open class and put on a bigger turbo, etc?

Dave
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
But the Sprongls have history up there...and experience with that car. Who knows how it would've turned out, but I hate the politics behind the move. Makes me wonder how they'll treat fast Evos.

You were in the rally class last time...what happens if you decide to go for the open class and put on a bigger turbo, etc?

Dave
probably i would be inexperienced for the race,l and get denied too. I was talking to L'astage at the race about why he doenst run it, i really couldnt make any sense out of it. He told me it is too dangerous before his canadian rally... I mean really? I love the guy he is the best driver i think around here, but he still have to play by the "rules" right?

Yoh have to love the politics behind car races. I mean I like Higgins So he has to sometimes go out of the line when he speaks. Like he never run that mountain before and he misses the co -driver etc. I am sure that is not his speech there...
Specially we racers who wa sthere we all know he was practicing on that hill, many times before even any one even got there, so as the ford driver (local ) guy.
Also he had a i pod which was reading to him a pace notes from the previous Prastana run etc.
But they presented as he just arrived there and he has to learn again to drive without a codriver... LOL

This what you just have to except. Like WRC. those drivers has a crew (only the top 4 drivers from Citroen and ford) who runs the stages just before they go on it and they are the ones if there is any change they tell the co-driver where and what they have to fix in the pace notes... Also before the team runs the recce runs with a limited runs, they already got the personalized pace notes form they team , when they runed and mapped the whole stages million times already.... and so on and so forth..

If you really go into this you will see how pathetic really the Pro motorsport is. it is really a sad thing.

So go back to the topic
I am seriously thinking about 2013 to see you there

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 3, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
So go back to the topic
I am seriously thinking about 2013 to see you there
Awesome! I'm keeping my eyes out on announcements for MWHC 2013 as well.

Dave
Old Feb 3, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Good stuff thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Dave, a SCCA racer buddy Jim Nichols and myself are traveling out to Pikes Peak to watch you guys race this year. Jim, Jeff Denmead and I usually make a trip to the Nurburgring but this year after Pikes Peak we may be attending the Goodwood Revival in Great Britain and running a few tracks there. All 3 of us own Evolutions so Help is On The Way! My only worry is I live at sea level and the altitude will limit my ability to work.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Dave, a SCCA racer buddy Jim Nichols and myself are traveling out to Pikes Peak to watch you guys race this year. Jim, Jeff Denmead and I usually make a trip to the Nurburgring but this year after Pikes Peak we may be attending the Goodwood Revival in Great Britain and running a few tracks there. All 3 of us own Evolutions so Help is On The Way! My only worry is I live at sea level and the altitude will limit my ability to work.
Awesome! Any room for a stowaway in you luggage for Goodwood?

I've been digging around the forum looking for ideas on aero bits and I'm pretty sure your car is one of the ones I've seen lots of pics of:

Originally Posted by apex electric

I have a pic of another rear diffuser on my computer, but don't know if that's an old or new design. Was curious what drove the change? Would love to hear your input on some of the ideas I post up in here and hear more about how aero development has gone for you and what sort of improvements you've seen.

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RaceKern.com 2012