Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

kognition wing, holy down force batman

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kognition wing, holy down force batman

Do I really need it? probably not, but anything to compensate for the lack of my driving skill should help.

I haven't had the chance to take it to the track yet, but I can actually feel the difference on the road and on my private testing area (long company's driveway).

It has enough down force on the rear-end to make the car feel "almost" like a RWD car. At speeds, the car feels much more stable than the stock wing. What impressed me the most, Last weekend, going with the traffic (around 80mph), with 25-30mph wind/45mph gust, the car felt very stable as if it wasn't windy at all.

I don't plan on keeping it on the car for the occasional daily drive, I just mounted it for fitment testing and to see if it actually makes a difference.

Last edited by 18bora; Jan 21, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
that really is huge (thats what she said)

i wonder if it will cause you a problem having no extra front down force.

think the mounting pads will scratch the trunk?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Do you have any other aero work done?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Nice, pop the trunk and take pics under the mount and with the trunk fully open where the wing sits.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Nice, pop the trunk and take pics under the mount and with the trunk fully open where the wing sits.
not sure the weight of that wing, but I'd do that with the key instead of popping the truck from inside and it slamming into the rear window.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
I second this question. I'm starting from the front end and working my way back, custom(homemade lol) front splitter/undertray is in the works.

What size is the wing and the risers?

I dig it!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21

I'm sure it will cause some problems.

I put some masking tape in between (temperately)

Not yet

Originally Posted by Balrok
I will when I get a chance.

The CF part is super light, but with the brackets, it weights as much as the stock wing. The trunk opens without a problem, just like with the stock wing; it only hits the antenna a little. The antenna is flexible and just bend back about 1-2", that's it.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is en route to the shop finally... I'm psyched to get it mounted and out on the track. The wing looks great man!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'd strongly recommend a front splitter. You will see lots of understeer at high speeds. You want to try and keep balance to the front/rear. Too much downforce on one end will create a very difficult car to predict.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
not sure the weight of that wing, but I'd do that with the key instead of popping the truck from inside and it slamming into the rear window.
A) It's not tall enough that it will hit the window based on my experience.
B) It's too heavy for the trunk to go flying. Even with the stock wing, my trunk doesn't spring up toward the window, it just pops open.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
that really is huge (thats what she said)

It will cause problems if you don't have extra front downforce; yes. On my car at the track it brought back all the understeer that I'd been working so hard to get rid of. The reason - because the wing truely does what it's supposed to do and creates rear downforce! But you'll need more in the front to balance it out; trust me.

And as for popping the trunk, there's no issues. Since the wing weighs a bit more and it leans backwards where the center of gravity is pushed rearward - the trunk does NOT fly open. Mine won't open at all. Now if it's during the install, be careful as with NO wing; it'll fly up in an instant!

Pic of mine from last year:
Old Mar 1, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you see out your rear window completely unimpeded?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mouseIX
I second this question. I'm starting from the front end and working my way back, custom(homemade lol) front splitter/undertray is in the works.
I did the same... splitter first, rear wing second. mouseIX, did you get my PM? I believe I addressed all your questions/concerns regarding my DIY plywood front splitter.

Originally Posted by boomn29
It will cause problems if you don't have extra front downforce; yes. On my car at the track it brought back all the understeer that I'd been working so hard to get rid of. The reason - because the wing truely does what it's supposed to do and creates rear downforce!
boomn29, may I ask roughly how "much" front splitter you needed to balance out the Kognition rear wing on your car? As in, how many inches in front of your lower bumper lip does your splitter extend?

Or, did you have to take additional action to get the car to turn in again, such as changing alignment, or increasing rear spring/rear swaybar rate?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
It will cause problems if you don't have extra front downforce; yes. On my car at the track it brought back all the understeer that I'd been working so hard to get rid of. The reason - because the wing truely does what it's supposed to do and creates rear downforce! But you'll need more in the front to balance it out; trust me.
Yeah thats what i expected. im really only planning front stuff for now...but the front splitter options are so crappy imho, until you go to someone like DHP or even full voltex.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Like everyone mentioned above a front splitter is a must. I started with a front splitter and ran my stock wing. After I put on my GT wing the car totally balanced out.

Quick Reply: kognition wing, holy down force batman