Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?

Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CAD EVO
^ Got truck ?
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are looking for a Featherlite trailer, you have to search for deals. I found my 2011 18' Featherlite for $4200. I love it.

As for towing with an SUV, how many SUV's do you see pulling around car trailers? There is a reason you do not see many. A full size pulls much better. We have been through this before.
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Duramax and an open deck trailer.

DD'ing the truck I can see a full tank average as high as 17mpg if I'm not driving like an ***.

Towing I'm usually seeing 15-16 as long as I'm topping out around 65. When I'm cranking closer to 75 the mileage drops to 14-15. I'm in Colorado so its not often that I'm towing on flat roads either, and the hills kill the mileage.

Dave
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i understand a full size will be better but this option seems decent enough especially when it can serve as the wife mobile as well.

its not like im going to tow the car every day and all over the country

caution: watch with audio low or turned off
probably gets horrible mileage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qruHiOjIFOY
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I've towed a lot of trailers with a lot of vehicles for a lot of years, had some close calls.

If you are towing an open trailer with an EVO on it you really don't need much of a vehicle to tow with. So if you are looking at SUV's there are MANY out there that will tow that package, occasionally just fine. You can make your wife very happy then and you'll have something to tow with.

Towing an enclosed trailer is an entire different ball game. I'd only recommend towing a 24'+ enclosed trailer with a 3/4 ton or better truck. The suspension controls the trailer sway so much better. Best is a dual wheel 1 ton, hands down.

I hear a lot of guys talk about "plenty of power". I realize my "plenty" is different than most but if truck has to constantly down shift to pull a hill and runs at 5,000 rpm and up to hold 65-70 mph on an uphill, well it's a flat out turd and it makes towing absolutely MISERABLE. I had a brand new 2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6 liter truck. If you ask me that engine is a complete joke. Open trailer, yeah, it may do OK. Put our 28' enclosed on it and I wanted to hit myself in the head with a hammer, 7 mpg, 5000+ rpm constantly. Terrible.

I currently tow with a 2010 Ford F250 turbo diesel. Stock it pulls nice, I put a programmer on it and just run it in tow mode all the time, tows a lot better like that. It RARELY ever has to drop a gear to pull any hill I've ever come across, I also tow a 36' fifth wheel with a small living quarters in it plus various Mitsu's inside.

I know this is a "what do you tow with thread" just wanted to put some of my personal experience out there for guys who may be looking to buy something.

If it's close trips to the track, less than an hour, you can tolerate about anything. If you plan on doing some traveling get a turbo diesel and get a heavy duty suspension, 3/4 ton or more, you won't regret it.

With that said..........I've been looking at those new Tacoma's, like that they are flex fuel. Ford was suppose to release the F150 Ecoboost in flex fuel this year, I say it will never happen, if they did I'd buy one.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExtremeDSM
As for towing with an SUV, how many SUV's do you see pulling around car trailers?
Actually I see quite a few SUV's that pull open trailers at NASA events around here. My garage mate pulls his Cayman with a Nissan SUV.

I agree that for an enclosed trailer you don't see many unless it's a lightweight Trailex or something like that, but for an open trailer an SUV can be a good solution especially if you have a family where it can serve a dual purpose.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goforwand
Actually I see quite a few SUV's that pull open trailers at NASA events around here. My garage mate pulls his Cayman with a Nissan SUV.

I agree that for an enclosed trailer you don't see many unless it's a lightweight Trailex or something like that, but for an open trailer an SUV can be a good solution especially if you have a family where it can serve a dual purpose.
Exactly, my SUV does double duty... my wife LOVES "her" Nissan Armada, and its more than enough to lug my car and an extra set of tires. On the 340 days a year I'm not racing it makes a lot more sense to have an SUV.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
I've towed a lot of trailers with a lot of vehicles for a lot of years, had some close calls.

If you are towing an open trailer with an EVO on it you really don't need much of a vehicle to tow with. So if you are looking at SUV's there are MANY out there that will tow that package, occasionally just fine. You can make your wife very happy then and you'll have something to tow with.

Towing an enclosed trailer is an entire different ball game. I'd only recommend towing a 24'+ enclosed trailer with a 3/4 ton or better truck. The suspension controls the trailer sway so much better. Best is a dual wheel 1 ton, hands down.

I hear a lot of guys talk about "plenty of power". I realize my "plenty" is different than most but if truck has to constantly down shift to pull a hill and runs at 5,000 rpm and up to hold 65-70 mph on an uphill, well it's a flat out turd and it makes towing absolutely MISERABLE. I had a brand new 2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6 liter truck. If you ask me that engine is a complete joke. Open trailer, yeah, it may do OK. Put our 28' enclosed on it and I wanted to hit myself in the head with a hammer, 7 mpg, 5000+ rpm constantly. Terrible.

I currently tow with a 2010 Ford F250 turbo diesel. Stock it pulls nice, I put a programmer on it and just run it in tow mode all the time, tows a lot better like that. It RARELY ever has to drop a gear to pull any hill I've ever come across, I also tow a 36' fifth wheel with a small living quarters in it plus various Mitsu's inside.

I know this is a "what do you tow with thread" just wanted to put some of my personal experience out there for guys who may be looking to buy something.

If it's close trips to the track, less than an hour, you can tolerate about anything. If you plan on doing some traveling get a turbo diesel and get a heavy duty suspension, 3/4 ton or more, you won't regret it.

With that said..........I've been looking at those new Tacoma's, like that they are flex fuel. Ford was suppose to release the F150 Ecoboost in flex fuel this year, I say it will never happen, if they did I'd buy one.
i completely agree with you the dually is the best for towing, hands down. But if you put a weight distribution hitch with all the goodies, then a lesser truck pulls just as fine. ( stable wise)
I used to tow with a dully and i liked it. But i cant say my Tundra tow less, def. nothing noticable,. Granted i do not tow Heavy or closed trailer.
The thing is , guys like me who need truck also as a daily driver, the 1.5ton truck is enough. Everything over that , is just unnessery. They do not tow for sure as good as a heavy duty trucks , but in reality how many times you actually tow vs driving daily the truck like me.

But as i said you are 100% right for towing only in mind , nothing beats the turbo diesel dully.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 9, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have towed alot with many different vehicles. I used to have an F350 and loved it for pulling. I do not do as much pulling trailers anymore so I went back to a half ton. When the wind starts blowing you all over the road and trailer starts to sway, have fun in an SUV.

I have yet to hook my Escalade up to either of my trailers. I am quite scared to hook it up to the enclosed one and probably never will.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i was holding it, but i cant hold it back anymore... LOl sorry but i think it is funny

(nothing against the ford trucks , just a simple fact , i thnink it is a funny picture )

Name:  60251_1560403763909_1049757725_1571647_3186475_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  56.5 KB

if you towing with a SUV or the smaller truck , i would highly recommend my set up. It does distribute thet weight and also works as a stabilizer. So the trailer will be less of the problem when you tow.I hope it is some how visible the hitch system. But below i posted teh link anyway to it.

Name:  2011-08-21115030.jpg
Size:  222.8 KB

i have a Tehkonsa Electric brake controller and the weight distrubotion kit for a trailer. Makes the whole towing is much more reilable and safer.

Here is the pics:

the thekonsa fits nicely not big and you can change the display color. Cost i think around $140

Name:  P3210006.jpg
Size:  99.1 KB

the weight distrubotin parts you can find it here or google another one. but you will get the idea.

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66022.html

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 8, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

I have a 98 'dodge 2500. It's a manual with a 5 speed. I tow my evo with a '20 enclosed trailer.
Not a bad truck. I replaced the fuel pump last year along with most of the sensors and starter motor. The truck without an aftermarket fuel computer is getting 19mpg around town, and 17mpg towing on level ground, and 15 mpg towing in the mountains.

I like it, but I should get another fuel computer and when it comes time to do the clutch, upgrade the transmission to a 6 speed.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisw

I have a 98 'dodge 2500. It's a manual with a 5 speed. I tow my evo with a '20 enclosed trailer.
Not a bad truck. I replaced the fuel pump last year along with most of the sensors and starter motor. The truck without an aftermarket fuel computer is getting 19mpg around town, and 17mpg towing on level ground, and 15 mpg towing in the mountains.

I like it, but I should get another fuel computer and when it comes time to do the clutch, upgrade the transmission to a 6 speed.
something like this sounds perfect. How much does a truck like you have go for?

is that a real 17mpg while towing? at what speed?

I cant justify paying more than $10k for a truck I'll use 5 times a year.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:18 AM

I towed last year with a 2006 F250 6.0L diesel and 24' enclosed, and the whole thing was too big. The trailer was pretty tall so there was a significant aero load. Trailer weight loaded was about 8k lbs, and most of my trips I got 9-10 mpg going no faster than 65 mph. I like the truck and it handled the load really well, but the mileage and extra time (from driving 65 vs 80) made it not worth towing for me. I'll be driving to events this year.

If I had to do things again I'd get a smaller truck or capable SUV and aluminum open trailer.

Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bspec
Not mine nor is it a tow rig, but I just read this article on Moto IQ about using a box truck for this purpose. Pretty cool idea.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ansporter.aspx
Reminds me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTdv2dM40oI

I've used my Pathfinder to tow with an open rental trailer without any problems.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

I tow my cars with an SS trailblazer, mpgs are 11-15 on the hwy so about the same as in town, my wife gets 12 when she drives it daily, it drops to 11 when I get in. It road my open trailer great. I also have a 22" enclosed trailer with lots of options on it like tanks and what not, it just feels to heavy behind the trailblazer, it will pull it no problem but dose not feel as stavle as I would like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?