Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EvoJoeRacing: Dominates Subaru Showdown at Carolina Motorsports Park

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EvoJoeRacing: Dominates Subaru Showdown at Carolina Motorsports Park

[youtube]dws-Jd9i5wI[/youtube]

This past weekend I raced in the Subaru Showdown that was held at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw NC. When I first heard about this event I was overly excited. An Autocross event on the Track and against all Subarus... Im in! What I had found out though was that this was going to be the first time that the autocross was going to be held on the entire course! They split the track into two sections, the East and West courses. We were to get 3 runs on each course and didnt have to work! I was extremely excited to race in this event.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/7631897060/http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/7631897060/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/evojoeracing/, on Flickr

The course was broken up into 2 courses, the West course which was .987 miles long and the East course which was 1.247 miles long and never before autocrossed on!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/7645031986/http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/7645031986/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/evojoeracing/, on Flickr

Being that this was going to be one of the best events of the season, I went out and picked up a set of Hoosiers and Rims from a good friend Jarrod Hoops. The rims were exactly what I was looking for and exactly as I have now just bigger! 18 x 9.5 +35 5zigen Fn10c with 285/30 Hoosier A6s. I have been dying for a set of these and was able to finally get them! So this was going to be the first time I have ever driven my car with Hoosiers and the first time ever driving on Hoosiers. I knew I was in for a treat.

They broke us up into 4 run groups. The first two groups would then race one group on the east course and one group on the west course. Street modified was one of the first groups to run and we were scheduled to run the East Course. I was not excited about that lol. The courses were set up as a hybrid between a track event and an autocross. Pretty much the cones outlines the racing line through all the turns and on the straight aways they put a slalom. This meant an extremely fast East Course! Well for my first time racing on Hoosiers....

Read More About the event...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Looked like a lot of fun, congrats!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Man! The track was awesome!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that kid. Congratz Joedirt ;-)
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You know you drive an Evo when you show up at an all-Subaru event and wipe the field

Nicely done sir
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
You know you drive an Evo when you show up at an all-Subaru event and wipe the field

Nicely done sir
LOL thanks man!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
damn, what happened on the east course? sti got you by 1.2 seconds; was it a dedicated track car?????
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats on the run.

Its like Time Trials but with bumpers on the lanes. If you liked that AX/track mix -- should check out NASA TT!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Meathooker
damn, what happened on the east course? sti got you by 1.2 seconds; was it a dedicated track car?????
The east course was my first time running on hoosiers and it was a pretty fast track. Turns were 80-100mph. I had no idea how the hoosiers would act or handle and wasnt really comfortable finding out at those speeds. I had no confidence to really push because i didnt know the limits. I left atleast 6 seconds out on that course. After I raced the West course I was able to see what the tires could do since it was slower and I felt a bit safer pushing the limits. If I would have been scheduled to race West before East it would have been a different story. But not a big deal to me. For the first time racing on Hoosiers it was a good result in my mind

Originally Posted by Smike
Congrats on the run.

Its like Time Trials but with bumpers on the lanes. If you liked that AX/track mix -- should check out NASA TT!
Yea it was pretty much exactly like that haha. I will be racing NASA TTS shortly. Just working on getting the seat time
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Nice class win, Joe, and terrific placing that well compared to Jon- even beating him on the East course handily. I've battled him a time or two myself.

Nice meeting you in Charlotte. We appreciate your letting us use your PsiClops and tent. I do love your car.

Try CMP sometime on the full course, or better yet, VIR. Also, next time you're there, rent one of the karts- terrific Formula 1 style course there.

Rick

(Old Evo8 guy with the M Roadster and his even older father).
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoeRacing
The east course was my first time running on hoosiers and it was a pretty fast track. Turns were 80-100mph. I had no idea how the hoosiers would act or handle and wasnt really comfortable finding out at those speeds. I had no confidence to really push because i didnt know the limits. I left atleast 6 seconds out on that course. After I raced the West course I was able to see what the tires could do since it was slower and I felt a bit safer pushing the limits. If I would have been scheduled to race West before East it would have been a different story. But not a big deal to me. For the first time racing on Hoosiers it was a good result in my mind

Yea it was pretty much exactly like that haha. I will be racing NASA TTS shortly. Just working on getting the seat time
Ha, in TT we actually run A6 or AC compound tires. They'll hold.

Great! Look forward to seeing you in TTS!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats is a crazy fast AX!!!. looks like fun Joe. C
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rburris28
Nice class win, Joe, and terrific placing that well compared to Jon- even beating him on the East course handily. I've battled him a time or two myself.

Nice meeting you in Charlotte. We appreciate your letting us use your PsiClops and tent. I do love your car.

Try CMP sometime on the full course, or better yet, VIR. Also, next time you're there, rent one of the karts- terrific Formula 1 style course there.

Rick

(Old Evo8 guy with the M Roadster and his even older father).
Hey Rick! Thanks man! And no problem! Come by the tent anytime
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The course walk most have taken all morning. LoL
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by piper971
The course walk most have taken all morning. LoL
Lol almost 1.5 hours and 2 tshirts. It was hot!

Quick Reply: EvoJoeRacing: Dominates Subaru Showdown at Carolina Motorsports Park